Machu Piccu land tour

Goldenrosebags

7 hours ago, Goldenrosebags said:

We're on the land tour of peru (Machu Piccu) before our cruise coming up. Has anyone done this? Any hints about packing? Anything would be helpful.

We arr doing the MP after our upcoming cruise in December. If you open or print out the full itinerary (from the Princess website in the cruise personalizer) to see the details of the tour. It will have hotels, what meals are included and what you will be doing each day. There is info there on packing as well. Essentially, you leave large luggage in Lima and only take a small bag on MP part.

I did this last March and it was amazing. I mostly wore jeans while in the valley.  I took a hoodie and a light rain coat with a t-shirt underneath and I was fine. I took a pair of slacks for dinners.

We did not leave our luggage in Lima because we did not go back to Lima except to change planes at the airport to fly to Santiago. They told us that's a mistake that Princess has not corrected in their instructions.  Everything went with us.  But,  we had a carry-on size to live out of while traveling because it was easier.  Princess did a fantastic job.

Be prepared to eat a lot of quinoa. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Your luggage will go with you and stay at your first hotel on the land tour.  You will need a small carry-on or duffle for your overnight stay at Machu Pichu.  You will be responsible for handling this small one on you overnight.  Note that you will be boarding a crowded train with your stuff, so pack light…take rain gear!  Everything is very casual (think camping) on your overnight…even for dinner.  Get ready for an amazing overland!!!

3 hours ago, cjpj said:

We arr doing the MP after our upcoming cruise in December. If you open or print out the full itinerary (from the Princess website in the cruise personalizer) to see the details of the tour. It will have hotels, what meals are included and what you will be doing each day. There is info there on packing as well. Essentially, you leave large luggage in Lima and only take a small bag on MP part.

Thank you for responding. I did know about the luggage.

1 hour ago, suekel said:

I did this last March and it was amazing. I mostly wore jeans while in the valley.  I took a hoodie and a light rain coat with a t-shirt underneath and I was fine. I took a pair of slacks for dinners.

We did not leave our luggage in Lima because we did not go back to Lima except to change planes at the airport to fly to Santiago. They told us that's a mistake that Princess has not corrected in their instructions.  Everything went with us.  But,  we had a carry-on size to live out of while traveling because it was easier.  Princess did a fantastic job.

Be prepared to eat a lot of quinoa. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Thank you for the good info. I'm excited.

1 minute ago, Goldenrosebags said:

Thank you for the good info. I'm excited.

You'll love it.  Elevation is quite a factor. Take iron before going and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  

I had forgotten that they kept our big suitcase at the hotel in Cusco..that is correct.  I forget if it was in Olantaytambo or Machu Pichu but we had a free afternoon.  I did a 5 part spa visit that was the best ever.  3 hours of pampering.  For only $166. Once you get to Cusco, you'll get in a mini van and you'll be those people, driver and tour guide the entire time.  We were with great people and our tour guide was so good.  I'm jealous, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  

2 minutes ago, Goldenrosebags said:

So, just like slacks and a nice sweater for dinner? We figured jeans every day for bugs. 

Many people wore their jeans to dinner so you can do that.  I just work black slacks and a plain top.  

We live at over 6000 feet so probably not the same elevation issue. We're in Colorado. Did it rain alot? So we do need 2 luggage? We we're going to do a suitcase and a duffel bag. Take the duffel to MP. There are just too many questions. Lol

9 minutes ago, Goldenrosebags said:

We live at over 6000 feet so probably not the same elevation issue. We're in Colorado. Did it rain alot? So we do need 2 luggage? We we're going to do a suitcase and a duffel bag. Take the duffel to MP. There are just too many questions. Lol

True.  Cusco is about double that but MP is only 9,000.  (Copper Mountain range)  Most of the rain was light but often...except for one day when the skies opened up. I have a very light weight rain jacket from Columbia that I ordered a size up so it fit over my hoodie.  I also bought a pair of Goretex (waterproof) Saucony sneakers that have hiking boot like treads on the sole.  They worked great.  1 big suitcase for the cruise and 1 smaller bag, duffle is fine, for the land tour.  

1 minute ago, suekel said:

True.  Cusco is about double that but MP is only 9,000.  (Copper Mountain range)  Most of the rain was light but often...except for one day when the skies opened up. I have a very light weight rain jacket from Columbia that I ordered a size up so it fit over my hoodie.  I also bought a pair of Goretex (waterproof) Saucony sneakers that have hiking boot like treads on the sole.  They worked great.  1 big suitcase for the cruise and 1 smaller bag, duffle is fine, for the land tour.  

We spend lots of time in the mountains so I think we'll be good. We stop in Leadville every time we visit my parents and they're at over 11,000 I think. I have hiking boots that I waterproofed and a good rain coat. This is all very helpful. I'm always nervous when I don't know what to expect. This is extremely helpful.

53 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

Your luggage will go with you and stay at your first hotel on the land tour.  You will need a small carry-on or duffle for your overnight stay at Machu Pichu.  You will be responsible for handling this small one on you overnight.  Note that you will be boarding a crowded train with your stuff, so pack light…take rain gear!  Everything is very casual (think camping) on your overnight…even for dinner.  Get ready for an amazing overland!!!

Thank you for the help. You never know what to expect till you're there and it's a little nerve wracking. Better for me to know. Lol. I'm really excited!

6 hours ago, Goldenrosebags said:

Our tour operator is Lima Tours. Is this the tour guides of any of you? If so, were they good?

Yes, Lima Tours is the name on my itinerary.