Hawaii - what to do in ports?

charliemikeoh

If you are going to Leonard's Malasadas (Portuguese doughnuts plain or filled) need to be eaten HOT.  Just across the street is  Ululanis Shave Ice (same as the one that was in Lahaina.    https://www.ululanishawaiianshaveice.com

But I would go down a couple of blocks more to Waiola Shave Ice.  Much better "ICE".  https://www.waiolashaveice.co

Hawaii also has good Chocolate tours as well as Vanilla Farms.  Kona Coffee is specific to Kona, but all the other islands have their own beans (Kauai Plantation).  There's even a Rum factory on Kauai.  Lion's Coffee offers factory tours on Oahu.  And then there is Kamaka Ukulele Tour:  http://www.kamakahawaii.com

I am leaving out the usual suspects since I am sure someone else will chime in for the other must sees.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, charliemikeoh said:

We're planning a trip to Hawaii on the Ruby or Grand in winter 2024.  Three adults.  What are the best things to do and eat in each of the ports?  Any MUST DO excursions?

Hilo - I'd call Volcano National Park a 'must do', if you've never been before.

Honolulu - Visiting the USS Arizona Memorial would be a 'must do' for me (for a first time visitor), maybe spend some time in Waikiki; it really depends on your interests.

Kauai - Waimea Canyon or the Napili Coast (opposite directions).

Maui - In winter, whale watching trip would be a must do to me.

11 hours ago, memoak said:

Eat some very good food 

On my Hawaii cruises, I beeline to my favorite local spots, Hamura Saimin on Kauai, Kuhio Grille in Hilo, Halekulani (The House Without A Key or Orchids) and Young's Fish Market (for a plate lunch) in Honolulu.

On Maui, when we've docked in Kahului, I head for Sam Sato's. My favorite place in Lahaina, Nagasko Okazu-ya, burned down in the tragic fire.

10 hours ago, Teechur said:

No disrespect intended but the Arizona is very time-consuming (and boring) if you have other things to do and only one or two days in Oahu. 

Sorry, I think it is incredibly disrespectful. The USS Arizona Memorial is a sacred place in America's annals. It only takes around 90 minutes, if that.

10 hours ago, charliemikeoh said:

We're old souls.  Like to see the off-the-beaten-path "real" parts of the places we visit.  Places that the locals love and appreciate; not the touristy spots necessarily, though Pearl Harbor is a must for our nation's history (and probably a volcano on another island since we've never seen one of those).  We prefer outdoors; physical but not "strenuous."  We also like to eat the national/native dish of wherever we visit.

Here is something from TripAdvisor's Oahu Forum. It only applies to Oahu in the places named, but is a general idea about local food.

My favorite thing about Oahu, having grown up there, is the unique food culture.

I love places like Young's Fish Market, Helena's Hawaiian Food, Haili's Hawaiian Food, St. Louis Deli, Ethel’s Grill and a few others for "Plate Lunch".

If you don't know what a "Plate Lunch" is, do a quick search online. It is a uniquely Hawaiian thing, what might be the Hawaiian equivalent of Street Food. It developed out of the idea of the bento box that Japanese immigrants introduced to Hawaii.

There are other uniquely Hawaiian "eats" as mentioned by AlandRoberta, like saimin (Hawaiian version of ramen) and manapua (Hawaiian version of Chinese char sui bao, but Hawaiian sized). Good old school saimin is found at Shiro’s Saimin or Palace Saimin; good manapua is found at Royal Kitchen and Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory. I've never been able to find saimin anyplace else in the world, other than Hawaii. It is a distinct flavor. Portuguese Sausage is another unique, local item. Just about any restaurant serving breakfast in Hawaii has Portuguese Sausage on the menu as an alternative to bacon and rice or fried rice instead of potatoes.

The Natsunoya Tea House has been around since 1921 and the Waioli Tea Room since 1922; both are very special in their own way. One or the other (or both) would make a "must go" list from me.

Local food includes items like lau lau, lomilomi salmon, poke, Kalua pig, poi, chicken luau, pipikaula and chicken long rice. Foods made famous by Hawaii include spam musubi and loco moco.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 2:26 PM, Teechur said:

Visiting the Arizona Memorial reminds me of visiting the Abraham Lincoln exhibit at Disneyland in the 1960s. Upon arrival, our parents made us go listen to the primitive Lincoln robot deliver the Gettysburg Address, and we couldn't wait for it to be over to get to the E-ticket rides. 😁

No disrespect intended but the Arizona is very time-consuming (and boring) if you have other things to do and only one or two days in Oahu. 

I find this incredibly insensitive and disrespectful to anyone who has ever served or given their lives to their country. To equate their sacrifice to a waste of your time is hard for me to understand 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trivia addict said:

I find this incredibly insensitive and disrespectful to anyone who has ever served or given their lives to their country. To equate their sacrifice to a waste of your time is hard for me to understand 

About 25% of Oahu visitors visit the USS Arizona Memorial each year. (I've been 5 times.) 

Are the other 75% "insensitive and disrespectful" since they don't go there?

We took my nephew over for the day, from Maui, 15 years ago. We were unable to secure advance reservations and ended up spending the entire day there. That is the only thing he has ever seen on Oahu. Was that time well-spent? Maybe...

having cruised to Hawai'i several times, this is my recommendation (no actual must dos as a bunch of great ideas & options have been shared)...know that you will only get a taste of the islands (both literally & figuratively...pick the things that are most important/enjoyable to you (for me they are history/culture & nature but for others they will be beaches, adventure, food)...do not focus on what you can't fit into your trip & don't pack your schedule that you can't enjoy the actual best part of a Hawai'ian visit, the people....breathe the island breezes, enjoy the sunshine or the liquid sunshine, be amazed by the flowers, experience Aloha & you will leave Hawai'i wondering when you can return

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Teechur said:

About 25% of Oahu visitors visit the USS Arizona Memorial each year. (I've been 5 times.) 

Are the other 75% "insensitive and disrespectful" since they don't go there?

We took my nephew over for the day, from Maui, 15 years ago. We were unable to secure advance reservations and ended up spending the entire day there. That is the only thing he has ever seen on Oahu. Was that time well-spent? Maybe...

Sorry, but to liken a hallowed resting place to a ride in Disney World is still disrespectful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Sorry, but to liken a hallowed resting place to a ride in Disney World is still disrespectful

I likened it to a theater containing a replica of Abraham Lincoln delivering the Gettysburg Address.

Try to keep the facts straight.

7 hours ago, Teechur said:

I likened it to a theater containing a replica of Abraham Lincoln delivering the Gettysburg Address.

TWDC calls it an attraction just like they do with Space Mountain.

And Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln IS A REPLICA. The USS Arizona is not a replica. It is an actual U.S. Navy warship with the remains of over 1,000 U.S. sailors who thought they were at peace on that Sunday morning in December 1941.

I visit the memorial a couple times every year and that is little enough to honor her crew. It does not take all day, or even more than a couple of hours under the current system.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

TWDC calls it an attraction just like they do with Space Mountain.

And Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln IS A REPLICA. The USS Arizona is not a replica. It is an actual U.S. Navy warship with the remains of over 1,000 U.S. sailors who thought they were at peace on that Sunday morning in December 1941.

I visit the memorial a couple times every year and that is little enough to honor her crew. It does not take all day, or even more than a couple of hours under the current system.

I think it's great that you choose to spend your time there. Awesome that we all have choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Arizona Memorial:  Very limited to what you can take in with you.  Charging for parking now.  Don't leave valuables in the car..."opportunists" look for rental cars (they have bar codes on the window). 

You are missing out on Spam.  7 Eleven has the best (according to officiates.  

The "Kodak Hula Show" is back at Kapiolani Park.  Called something esle now.  Free.

On 2/28/2024 at 1:21 PM, Thrak said:

Have some Hula Pie. One thing I have never done in Hawaii is eat Spam.

On 2/28/2024 at 2:20 PM, mtnesterz said:

Admitting that I like food culture, if you are the type to enjoy Pizza in Naples, ranch dressing on a salad in Alaska, Caesar salad and Margarita in Ensenada, you may be interested to try Musubi in Hawaii.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a day in Honolulu in October, our first visit to Hawaii. We would therefore very much like to do an Island tour, could anyone recommend the best way to do this? We are in port 7am - 11pm, there is only on scenic tour available through Princess, which is only 3 hours, I don't feel we'd see very much and would then have wasted hours. Any recommendations appreciated.

The following day we are in Maui, understandably there are limited options. But the ship is only offering a hike and a very badly rated 5 hour part scenic part shopping tour. So again, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Check out Tours By Locals. 
Our family of 6 did a private excursion with them a few years ago in Oahu. We did a complete circle of the entire Island, stopping at places that our guide thought we would like and yet flexible enough to stop whenever we saw something interesting.

We have also used that company in Austria and Budapest. Always very satisfied.

In fact  we had a tour booked with them for Italy for June 2020. Obviously didn’t go and had no problem getting our deposit back. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Check out Tours By Locals. 
Our family of 6 did a private excursion with them a few years ago in Oahu. We did a complete circle of the entire Island, stopping at places that our guide thought we would like and yet flexible enough to stop whenever we saw something interesting.

We have also used that company in Austria and Budapest. Always very satisfied.

In fact  we had a tour booked with them for Italy for June 2020. Obviously didn’t go and had no problem getting our deposit back. 

That's great, thank you, and may be very useful for our other ports 🙂

43 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

That's great, thank you, and may be very useful for our other ports 🙂

Robert's Hawaii is on every island and it is a local company, started on Kauai in 1941. They are the longest lasting, most trusted tour company in the islands. My issue with "tours by locals" is that it is not local at all, but based in Vancouver BC.

• Like 1

The company may not be “local” but the guides that are hired at the venues are local citizens who are trained to be guides. Obviously, if you have guides all over the world, your headquarters will not be “local”

• Like 1