Sirena Iceland excursions

jbm3238

Taking Sirena around Iceland this July and we are looking for input on the many excursions offered. Any advice as to choices to look at or skip? We were in Reykjavik  for a couple of days in 2006 prior to sailing to Greenland and Labrador, but only saw the Rift valley and some thermal plants.

We are hoping the volcano issues are over by then!

Thx in advance.

JB & Judy Morrow

Cruise Itinerary:

DAY

DATE

PORT

ARRIVE

DEPART

Sunday

July 7, 2024

Reykjavik

--

Monday

July 8, 2024

Grundarfjordur

Tuesday

July 9, 2024

Isafjordur

Wednesday

July 10, 2024

Akureyri

Thursday

July 11, 2024

Seydisfjordur

Friday

July 12, 2024

Djupivogur

Saturday

July 13, 2024

Torshavn

Sunday

July 14, 2024

Torshavn

Monday

July 15, 2024

Cruising The Norwegian Sea

--

--

Tuesday

July 16, 2024

Heimaey

Wednesday

July 17, 2024

Reykjavik

We had two of these ports last year on Insignia's Iceland/Greenland/Canada cruise (in addition to Reykjavik):

For Heimaey I would recommend looking for a general tour that gets you around most of the (small) island and provides the gripping history of the volcanic eruption of 1973 and how it impacted the islanders. Be sure it also includes a stop to look at the large puffin colony -- one of the best places (at least on our itinerary) to see puffins. 

For Grundarfjorder I had already done a small group tour of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula from Reykjavik during my pre-cruise stay, but if you have not done it, I would recommend it for this port. Since I'd already covered most of the area, I opted to taking Oceania's Nature Sail and Viking Sushi adventure which involved a pleasant cruise to an island inhabited only by various native birds as well as the chance to taste some fish from a fresh haul (caught on the boat during our sail). We had a beautiful day for it, probably less fun if it was rainy and cold. Back on shore we had some time to wander the very small port village where the expedition boat docked (not where the Insignia docked) and there was a small food truck selling fresh caught fish and chips that was delicious.

• Like 2

I did an Iceland circumnavigation on Viking maybe 2 years ago.  So I don't know what excursions are available to you on Oceania.  And other than in Reykjavik, of the ports we went to, there didn't seem to be very many opportunities to book your own tours/excursions.  Some of the best sights were a coach tour away from where we docked, and that won't change on Oceania. If you want to see puffins, the best place I saw, in very early August, was on a strangely titled ship excursion called something like In Search of the Elves.  It went to a harbor whose name escapes me, but the sightings were close up and wonderful. You can look at my photos for more info if you like. 

Going mid-July is a great time for puffins.  We only saw a few at Vigur Island, a very popular destination from Isafjordur.  There are boats going over to it from right near the cruise dock, but on the day we were there, they weren't offering any trips as the cruise line had booked up all of the transportation there. So I took a ship excursion there - interesting, scenic place, but few puffins when I went. Still worth it, though.  

In Akureyri, we took an excursion called Iceland's Natural Beauty - went to smelly but very colorful sulfur fields (great for photography), and other places.  

In Djupivogur we went to the glacier; wonderful, not hard to get into the zodiacs, not freezing.  Required some time on the road, but I found the landscape fascinating so didn't mind. 

In Heimaey (warning: only maybe 60% of cruise ships stopping there make it in due to sea/weather conditions) the volcano museum in town was excellent.  I also walked partway up a huge hill (mountain).  I just took a short "included" excursion which ended at the museum, and the hill was reachable from a path out the back.  I walked back to the tender place, but it was a little hard to find the way.  I'm not sure how available taxis might be there at the place where you'll likely to be tendered.  But you might want to ask the ship's concierge for help (not the one who's available to Concierge veranda cruisers).  If he has stopped in Heimaey he/she may able to at least tell you what you might encounter.  (When we were on Sirena almost a year ago, the concierge helped me a lot in buying train tickets in a small place in Spain we visited.  Until then, I hadn't really known what he might be helpful for!!)  In Heimaey, I just walked around a little, close to the tender spot.  We saw SOME puffins on a short boat ride (excursion) around the island in the afternoon,and the boat went into a couple caves.  That excursion was only so so in my opinion.  But maybe it was just too late to see puffins, or the ones there in early August were staying too far away.  Bird behavior is hard to predict!

In Seydi, I took the "Elves" excursion, and it was a highlight. But Seydi is also a very cute little town that merits at least a walk around.  And the port is close to the town, so that's a plus. 

In Isafjordur, you'll dock within walking distance of some things in town.  But I didn't have time to do that, so can't say if anything there is worthwhile.   In one port I enjoyed walking up to see some artistic eggs (yes, eggs), but I forget which port that was. 

In Reykjavik, unless you go early you won't likely be able to see a whole lot.  But the little island across from the port always intrigued me.  Yoko Ono had a light installation built there.  From the port you can get a small boat to take you over - not far. Easy.

In general, I'd say don't be cheap about what you do in Iceland.  Lots is outside the city.  

The Ports of Call section here on Cruise Critic might be worth a look.  And if you're on Facebook, you might want to look for a Viking Cruises Fan page & then search for Iceland posts.  Many people commented on what they saw and did.  And look at my photos with captions.  Here's the folder for Isafjordur.  When done, go back to my home page & find the next folders (galleries) for Akureyri, Heimaey, Djupivogur, Reyk  & Seydi: https://pbase.com/roothy123/iceland_aug_2021_isafjorder

• Like 1

Hi.  I just googled excursions on Oceania in Seydisfjordur.  They DO list the "In the Footsteps of the Elves" excursion that we took when on Viking in 2021.  Being described there doesn't mean they will definitely offer that excursion on your cruise.  But I'd keep an eye open for it!  The harbor is called Hafnarholmi.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IF you choose to strike out on your own from Reykjavik by car ALWAYS take supplies. The ring road is good for driving but food and gas are limited and stores, repair places and the like very few. Blanket, water, some simple nutritious foodstuffs, phone battery charger/backup. Just the first ideas. It can be a lonely and scary experience to be on a road with traffic so far apart.

Also take the local weather advisories seriously. High winds can be more than you have ever experienced. Iceland is a large ship of land in the vast North Atlantic. We were there in Mid September so mostly out of main tourist season. Perhaps summer has less risk but BE alert.

• Like 1