Private car using Oceania Excursions?

Humane

I would appreciate feedback on booking a Private Car or Private Van through Oceania's excursions and how it compares to booking private excursions, which I have done in the past and had fantastic experiences and great guides.  How does it compare by booking through Oceania.  Now that we have Simply More Credits rather that OBC - it may be a good option?

24 minutes ago, Humane said:

I would appreciate feedback on booking a Private Car or Private Van through Oceania's excursions and how it compares to booking private excursions, which I have done in the past and had fantastic experiences and great guides.  How does it compare by booking through Oceania.  Now that we have Simply More Credits rather that OBC - it may be a good option?

As you know it is quite expensive.  We have only done it once and that was because the tours we wanted were not available and this was in Istanbul. I will add now before the SM choir chimes in that this was pre SM so that had nothing to do with the availability.  Upon boarding we were advised to meet with Destination Services and provide them with a priority list of places to see, which we did.  They advised they would send this list to the tour operator to get sign off on our list. We waited about 7 days with no word. Spoke to them on day before our tour and they advised they would reach out once again. Later that day they called and advised the tour operator advised it was fine.  Day of tour we met our guide and her first comment to us was…..so, what would you like to see today?!?!! 🤷🏻‍♂️. The tour ended up being ok…and we did end up seeing all but one place. Some of this was due to the chaotic day it turned out to be in Istanbul as they ended up having their presidential runoff election on this day which made it an unexpected holiday so downtown was full of tourist and locals who then had the day off also.  Again, tour was ok but process was very frustrating. Also, keep in mind if more than 2 in your party you have to do the van version instead of car version at a higher cost. So….just keep in mind above. Also, this is just an example of ONE experience, I’m sure there is a good chance others have had a completely different experience. 

• Thanks 2

I have no personal experience with it but I did see quite a few people using it on our recent Marina cruise. There were at least 3 or 4 private cars and vans at various ports with the little Oceania tour signs as we would debark at ports. My point is that it seems to be working for them with SM more than I had noticed in the past. Keep in mind this is just one person's simple observation and no hard facts. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

As you know it is quite expensive.  We have only done it once and that was because the tours we wanted were not available and this was in Istanbul. I will add now before the SM choir chimes in that this was pre SM so that had nothing to do with the availability.  Upon boarding we were advised to meet with Destination Services and provide them with a priority list of places to see, which we did.  They advised they would send this list to the tour operator to get sign off on our list. We waited about 7 days with no word. Spoke to them on day before our tour and they advised they would reach out once again. Later that day they called and advised the tour operator advised it was fine.  Day of tour we met our guide and her first comment to us was…..so, what would you like to see today?!?!! 🤷🏻‍♂️. The tour ended up being ok…and we did end up seeing all but one place. Some of this was due to the chaotic day it turned out to be in Istanbul as they ended up having their presidential runoff election on this day which made it an unexpected holiday so downtown was full of tourist and locals who then had the day off also.  Again, tour was ok but process was very frustrating. Also, keep in mind if more than 2 in your party you have to do the van version instead of car version at a higher cost. So….just keep in mind above. Also, this is just an example of ONE experience, I’m sure there is a good chance others have had a completely different experience. 

Very comprehensive - thank you so much.  It may be better for something like Ephesus where there is a more specific set of expectations.  

15 hours ago, ORV said:

I have no personal experience with it but I did see quite a few people using it on our recent Marina cruise. There were at least 3 or 4 private cars and vans at various ports with the little Oceania tour signs as we would debark at ports. My point is that it seems to be working for them with SM more than I had noticed in the past. Keep in mind this is just one person's simple observation and no hard facts. 

Yes it does work better with SM for some of us. 

I have mobility issues and can’t access a coach easily. I wouldn’t pay £300  for a private car but because, in some ports, private cars are included in SM I would use a car rather than not use the allowance!

• Like 3