Road to Hana or Haleakala National Park?

trivia addict

Ok my knowledgeable Hawaii friends, which should I choose? I’ve been to Maui before but not to either of these two. I know the answer is whichever most appeals to me but can you give me your thoughts.

On the POA for two days. Arrives first day at 8am. Leaves the next at 6pm.

Planning  on car rental for two days and I think that I only have the first day to comfortably go to one of those.

i did read a suggestion to drive the RTH partway, turn around at Waianapanapa State Park and continue to HNP for the sunset.

Doable? Crazy?

4 hours ago, trivia addict said:

On the POA for two days. Arrives first day at 8am. Leaves the next at 6pm.

Planning  on car rental for two days and I think that I only have the first day to comfortably go to one of those.

You could do both if you wanted to-- Hana you would have to do day 1 since that would be the bigger time suck being several hours in either direction and even more if you stop and see things which you should. Where your ship docks in Kahului to the top of Haleakala is only a bit over an hour though-- very doable on day 2 leaving you plenty of time to get back and turn in the car. 

Of course this leaves zero time for the beach which is where I would be at least one of the days. My personal preference if I had to choose one of them would be Hana. 

2 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Where your ship docks in Kahului to the top of Haleakala is only a bit over an hour though-- very doable on day 2 leaving you plenty of time to get back and turn in the car. 

It sounded like they wanted to do Haleakala at sunset though, which isn't going to work with the POA leaving at 6 p.m. on day 2.

Thanks to both. Actually, it wouldn’t matter if it were sunset or sunrise, I just thought that it would be smarter to start out for RTH early and end up at HNP later.

Agree  that RTH can take the whole day done in totality so I thought that maybe I could only do a partial on day 1 and  continue on to HNP for the end of the day. We have more than one driver and are used to long days of sightseeing.

I probably will not do HNP on day 2 because I am a nervous Nellie that alway has to be back on board hours before  sailaway!

Will have to make my choice! Meanwhile, best beach suggestion for day 2?!

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve done both, twice, and enjoyed them both; but it’s been more than 15 years…

That being said, RTH is worth a whole day, there was just so much beauty to see. I lost track of the number of times we stopped along the way. And seeing the sun rise from atop HNP was amazing (but freezing cold!)

• 2 weeks later...

We did both earlier this month.

Day 1 - I'oa Valley, Drive to south side for a quick beach time and a snack, then to the crater.  We were hoping to stay for sunset, it was completely clouded in and misty rain.  Not much to see.

Good views on the way back down.

Day - RTH.  We did a 2/3 of the way.  Surprisingly low traffic.  Stopped 6 times or so.  Got some banana bread at Auntie Sandy's.  Came back and waited 45 minutes for construction. 

Went up country and stopped for some shopping and brew pub before returning to port.

We used Enterprise.  A short walk from the terminal exit (which is a long walk from the ship).  They let you park on their lot overnight.  They are on the east side of the mall.

• Like 3