3 nights pre cruise on Moorea - where to stay?

We will have 3 nights pre cruise in January 2025 and have decided to stay in Moorea. And now the fun begins!

Where to stay and in what type of accommodations?

While I’d love to stay in an OWB the reality is they are just too darn expensive considering we are on a 5 week South Pacific - New Zealand trip including 2 cruises and several nights in various locations. 

We love boutique hotels, eating, drinking, shopping and meeting the locals. We live on a beach for half the year so while it would be lovely to stay on a beach, a garden view works as well. It’s all about the experience. 

I don’t want to say I don’t have a budget (of course I’d prefer not to blow it on the OWB) but I’m open to what might be possible. 

Do we need to rent a car? I’d rather not but if it’s better to have one we can certainly do that. 

Hit me with your favorite spots and many thanks!

We stayed at the Sofitel Kia resort and it was fab. We splashed out on an overwater bungalow to have the once in a lifetime experience. To be honest, having been there, the garden bungalows and the beach bungalows are just as lovely and much cheaper, They have a beautiful private beach area and offer an extensive amount of water activities, where you will find varieties of fish, all sizes, swimming everywhere. The hotel complex is a little run down but the staff make up for it. However, I think this is  general in the Polynesia at the moment as they are trying to recover from financial hardship due to a long  COVID lockdown. The resort is conveniently located for easy access to the port. We were only there for a couple of days and didn't feel the need to rent a car, but if I had been there for longer we would have needed one to explore the island properly. If renting a car I would advise doing so well in advance as cars are limited on the island.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for responding. I have looked at all three of the "big" resorts. We also enjoy smaller, more intimate spots and I've been looking through airBnB and VRBO. The ones I have liked the best don't have AC and that's a deal breaker for us, especially since we will be traveling in January during the rainy and mosquito season. If you have any smaller resorts/local spots I'd love your input on those choices. Thank you!

Posted (edited)

@Ski Mom 2 I have done extensive research on lodging in Moorea for a one week stay.  I need a place with a kitchen and outdoor area.  Because I don't feel I need to be right on the beach before or after spending a few weeks on a ship in the area I chose a 2-bedroom, one bath VRBO on the hill overlooking the lagoon.  They all have AC in the bedrooms only. 

I've been to Moorea three times and know I must have AC also!! 🥵

Check places at Legends Residence. Some also list on Bookings.com and Air BnB. Here's an example:

Wooden architect villa with jacuzzi (vrbo.com)

~Nancy

ETA - It used to be a hotel apparently but it's privately owned units now. It's still in a gated community.

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to post an update to our search for a place to stay on Moorea. I found a beautiful guest cottage with its own private pool with a gorgeous view above the Sofitel. We are very excited!

Last piece of our puzzle is to familiarize ourselves with the ferry schedule and to book a car. Oh, and to wait for January 2025 to roll around! 🤣 

Thank you all for your input!!

15 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

I found a beautiful guest cottage with its own private pool with a gorgeous view above the Sofitel.

That sounds very nice!  Would you mind sharing the contact info/website for this cottage?  I had my plans changed due to the Windstar cancellations so now will be going in April 2025.

Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks,

~Nancy

Nancy 

The place I booked does not have a kitchen or living room. It is a guest house but they do deliver breakfast every morning. If this is something you’re still interested in I’m happy to share. 

On 3/24/2024 at 3:43 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

Nancy 

The place I booked does not have a kitchen or living room. It is a guest house but they do deliver breakfast every morning. If this is something you’re still interested in I’m happy to share. 

@Ski Mom 2 Thanks for responding. A private pool sounds really nice!  Yes, I am looking for a kitchen and living area so will continue to look at the possibilities I have already found.

~Nancy

• Like 1

We stayed at the Sofitel for 3 nights after our cruise down from Hawaii. Well run hotel , Booked a number of local tours. We enjoyed the food etc. stayed  in an overwater room . Only swam form the beach because the currents at the point were swift.