Advice for Choosing Flightseeing?

nordicacres

Posted (edited)

We would like to do one Flightseeing excursion while in Alaska. I have narrowed it down to:

1. Juneau - Mendenhall Helicopter Glacier Trek (2 hour trek on glacier).

2. Juneau - 5 Glacier Seaplane Exploration. 

3. Seward - Helicopter to Bear Glacier with or without a half day kayak trip.

4. Rust’s Flightseeing to Denali NP from Anchorage. One landing outside the park on Chelatna (sic) Lake. 

Any thoughts? We are spending two days in Seward after our cruise, and a half day in Anchorage. We are taking the 7.5 hour Kenai Fjords boat trip also. We will not otherwise be visiting Denali on this trip. Thanks!

Edited by nordicacres

Check youtube to see what the tours look like. Have not done #1 but did coatal to glacier land and it was very good. #4 is a long flight but may get to see Denali. If time is available do Matanuska north of ANC or Byron near Portage Visitor center. Not flights but good.  #3 youtube here: BEST WAY TO SEE ALASKA: Seward helicopter tour! (Episode 12) (youtube.com).  Seward with a car? 

• Like 1

We did the Taku Glacier Seaplane excursion with the Salmon Lunch.  Two take offs and landings on the water.  You still get the narrated glacier fly over but the landing and walking up to the secluded lodge for lunch was really special.  I chose this excursion for the two take offs and landings.  It was my favorite excursion.  The seaplanes take off just in front of the docks in Juneau.  

Walking on a glacier is interesting (and not easy) but for two hours (?).   Be sure to wear sturdy shoes.  The tour probably supplies crampons.

Helicopters scare me but I would take a helicopter to see bears in the wild!  Helicopter excursions are more likely to be cancelled for bad weather.