Coach transfer to Southampton

4 hours ago, david63 said:

If it is a P&O excursion then almost certainly yes the ship will wait. It cannot be guaranteed as there may be other factors involved that mean that the ship cannot wait but in that exceptionally rare instance then P&O would have to get the passengers to the next port.

Which if in a different country might be be problematic without passports.

We have only experienced this once over 40 cruises, not to us, but a coach in Panama was delayed due  to a major traffic accident. The coach was not involved in the accident but was 4 or 5 hours late getting back to port, and the Princess ship waited for their return.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Which if in a different country might be be problematic without passports.

We have only experienced this once over 40 cruises, not to us, but a coach in Panama was delayed due  to a major traffic accident. The coach was not involved in the accident but was 4 or 5 hours late getting back to port, and the Princess ship waited for their return.

If passengers don't return to the ship security staff will retrieve your passport from your cabin and leave it with the port authorities. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FangedRose said:

If passengers don't return to the ship security staff will retrieve your passport from your cabin and leave it with the port authorities. 

We always take our passports ashore with us along with copies of our insurance because we have been on several cruises where passengers have had accidents ashore and missed the ship and had to get to the next port usually with some help from the cruise line's local contacts.

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We always take our passports ashore with us along with copies of our insurance because we have been on several cruises where passengers have had accidents ashore and missed the ship and had to get to the next port usually with some help from the cruise line's local contacts.

Never take my passport ashore (unless told we need too), greater chance of it get stolen or lost than an accident preventing my return to the ship. I take a copy though so I have numbers etc which may expedite matters. Insurance documents are kept on my phone (well online).

• Like 4

I always take a photograph of the port agents details printed in the Horizon. Also have photos of passports, emergency contacts for travel insurance and prescriptions for both of us on both phones. There was a time when it would never have been thought of but as circumstances change with age and health it’s reassuring to have this information to hand. 

• Like 4