Coach transfer to Southampton

On 3/4/2024 at 8:53 AM, ThomasBarrow said:

Has anyone travelled from North England or South Scotland to Southampton on the coach with intercruises? What was it like and how long did it take? Do you get stops? Is there plenty of leg room and is it comfortable?

Yes, a few times, much better than driving down. We get on the first pick up at Washington services on the A1. We usually leave at 6:00 a.m. (Ventura and Britannia), a quick pickup at Scotch Corner (stay on bus) and then a 10 minute stop at Wetherby while more passengers are loaded on. There is a longer stop for lunch which is mandatory for the driver.

Usually pull into the dock around 1:45 p.m. Bar one time we have been on the ship in around 20 minutes later. Cases were at the cabin door when we got there. Drop hand luggage in cabin and go straight to buffet for some food before it closes.

While I find the journey comfortable enough usually the first night is an early one for us. We tend to get up around 4 to get ready, cases in taxi then travel to the service station. We are normally there early but I prefer that in case of any overnight road closures.

There is a Travel lodge next to it and I think possibly some other motel next door to that one. The next time we go I might try stopping overnight instead of a taxi on the morning.

Coming home the coach doesn't leave until later. I can't remember the exact time but 9-9:30 a.m. The port staff have to count all the passengers before it leaves. We usually get back to Washington services around 4:45 p.m. Now the strange thing is, there probably will be less stops on the way home.

I have short legs but hubby finds it ok, even with a big bag under his legs. I sleep due to the travel tablets he listens to something on his head phones. 

• Thanks 1

I only ever use the coach from the North West,,,,P&O coach (Intercruises) or Eavesway from Burtonwood Services,,,,,Eavesway picks up at 07:45,Intercruises have been as late as 09:00,usually on a Ellisons coach.

Both companies have comfy coaches with most importantly toilets on board.

one thing I look for is the difference in price between Select and Saver.

With Eavesway being £110 each I look at the difference in price if I take the included coach on Select.

Usually it works out it better for me to book Saver (Don’t mind dining time and can book location with Saver) although not always beneficial

My next cruise was a difference of £200 with £70 OBC.so it was a Benefit to go the Select route.

I preference Eavesway as I know what I’m getting,,,,love Ellisons coaches but never sure we get them on the return.have had some old clunkers.

From Warrington it’s usually 5.5hrs with three or four pick ups with a 40min drivers stop for late breakfast usually at Warwick Services,,,drivers get advance notice from other drivers which services are less busy,,,,,,on return it’s Norton Cains services for lunch.

Dont know if Celebrity docks earlier than P&O but we are always on the road at least 1 hour before coaches from P&O.

I load 5 Rolling Stones albums on my iPad just finishes listening to them as we arrive in Southampton,,,,always better than murdering my arthritic hip driving.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We also prefer Eavesway but have only once had a poor coach from Intercruises. We had a bad journey last year with Eavesway because the driver was pulled up by the police on the M6 for exceeding the speed limit, before we left the coach he asked everyone not to report him to Eavesway because he would lose his job.  I did email Eavesway when we got home because I worried the whole time that we were on the ship that we might get the same driver on the way home so didn't enjoy the cruise as much as I normally would.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We also prefer Eavesway but have only once had a poor coach from Intercruises. We had a bad journey last year with Eavesway because the driver was pulled up by the police on the M6 for exceeding the speed limit, before we left the coach he asked everyone not to report him to Eavesway because he would lose his job.  I did email Eavesway when we got home because I worried the whole time that we were on the ship that we might get the same driver on the way home so didn't enjoy the cruise as much as I normally would.

He must have been going downhill,,,,for 40 years now coaches are by law req to fit speed limiters at 62mph.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

He must have been going downhill,,,,for 40 years now coaches are by law req to fit speed limiters at 62mph.

There are variable speed limits & 50mph speed limits all over the place these days so I guess it is possible

15 hours ago, snaefell said:

There are variable speed limits & 50mph speed limits all over the place these days so I guess it is possible

That is exactly why the coach was pulled over, it was on the M6 and the overhead signs were showing 40mph.

Can I please ask if there are always toilets on the coaches?  We are considering a one way trans Atlantic, which would involve a coach transfer to Manchester airport at the end of the cruise.

31 minutes ago, tring said:

Can I please ask if there are always toilets on the coaches?  We are considering a one way trans Atlantic, which would involve a coach transfer to Manchester airport at the end of the cruise.

There definitely were on the 3 Eavesway coaches we have been on, and very nice they were too, much to my surprise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, happy v said:

Always on ours. But we usually have a Durham company. So I doubt you would get them. Ellison's which is Intercruises always have toilets too

Thanks, is it Intercruises which P&O use? The airport transfer is complimentary by their provider.

30 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

There definitely were on the 3 Eavesway coaches we have been on, and very nice they were too, much to my surprise.

Thanks.  Are P&O using Eavesway again now?

6 minutes ago, tring said:

We normally drive down so don't know the history of the Eavesway v P&O saga but have heard people speak of it. All I know is that for our delayed departure in January, Eavesway were in contact with P&O and their vehicles dropped off and picked up in the same places as other coaches, although I believe it is likely to be Ellison's if you book via Intercruises in our neck of the woods.

Ellison's and Eavesway are both relatively local to me and both with a long history of being good companies but it was knowing that if we booked through Intercruises they do not tell you who you will get and some companies' coaches are dreadful for legroom. We took the additional £300 OBC instead and paid just less than £200 for our Eavesway transfers. Result 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

We normally drive down so don't know the history of the Eavesway v P&O saga but have heard people speak of it. All I know is that for our delayed departure in January, Eavesway were in contact with P&O and their vehicles dropped off and picked up in the same places as other coaches, although I believe it is likely to be Ellison's if you book via Intercruises in our neck of the woods.

Ellison's and Eavesway are both relatively local to me and both with a long history of being good companies but it was knowing that if we booked through Intercruises they do not tell you who you will get and some companies' coaches are dreadful for legroom. We took the additional £300 OBC instead and paid just less than £200 for our Eavesway transfers. Result 👍

Thanks for the reply. 

We do not normally travel by coach, but have done about 20 years ago for a trans Atlantic when we flew out from Manchester.  In such cases the coaches back to your airport are included by P&O and not an alternative for the obc, which we would get as well.   I thought it was Intercruises now, though I thought that was a coach company, rather than a company who contracts out, if only sometimes.  Eavesway used to do those transfers (as well as the regular ones again), when we did that trans Atlantic. Shows you how out of date I am.

• Like 1

We are flying out to the Caribbean in two weeks. After a week there we are doing the transatlantic to Southampton. From there we are on an Intercruises coach to Manchester airport. We make our own way home from there, that’s not a problem as it is only about 30 mins by taxi to Bolton. We have travelled several times with Intercruises and never had a problem. Fingers crossed we won’t have any this time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tring said:

No P&O have a contract with Intercruise, however Eavesway still offer their own Cruiselink service, which you have to book direct. We used Eavesway last year, travelling from the North East and they were superb. We are on an Intercruise next trip, so will be interesting to compare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

We are flying out to the Caribbean in two weeks. After a week there we are doing the transatlantic to Southampton. From there we are on an Intercruises coach to Manchester airport. We make our own way home from there, that’s not a problem as it is only about 30 mins by taxi to Bolton. We have travelled several times with Intercruises and never had a problem. Fingers crossed we won’t have any this time.

That is the transfer we may get if we book a trans Atlantic as we would fly to Manchester, though not thinking about this year, so I realise it may change.  Can please I ask though, if there have always been toilets available on the Intercruises transfers you have booked?

7 minutes ago, tring said:

That is the transfer we may get if we book a trans Atlantic as we would fly to Manchester, though not thinking about this year, so I realise it may change.  Can please I ask though, if there have always been toilets available on the Intercruises transfers you have booked?

It is Intercruises we book and they subcontract. All the coaches have toilets 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy v said:

It is Intercruises we book and they subcontract. All the coaches have toilets 

Thanks a lot for the reply, much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

I did this journey in September and will repeat it in April.  The departure time was 3.15am and because the coach was pretty full there were no other pick ups on the way down although I believe there usually is.  There were two service station stops en route - the first one south of Manchester and one further on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I did this journey in September and will repeat it in April.  The departure time was 3.15am and because the coach was pretty full there were no other pick ups on the way down although I believe there usually is.  There were two service station stops en route - the first one south of Manchester and one further on.

Thank you.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:10 PM, Barbadossunshine said:

Has anyone recently done this trip from Glasgow/Buchanan Bus Station. If they are able to advise pick up time and how many stops there is to Southampton? Thank you.

Not sure if you are aware, or if it is an option for you, but both EasyJet and Loganair fly from Glasgow to Southampton. I have booked easyJet for a May cruise. 

On 3/10/2024 at 9:38 PM, StopTheWorld said:

Not sure if you are aware, or if it is an option for you, but both EasyJet and Loganair fly from Glasgow to Southampton. I have booked easyJet for a May cruise. 

We booked away early last year for the cruise and think at the time checked for flights not sure if the flight route was available then from Glasgow to Southampton. But have since checked this year for costs and decided we are fine with the Bus. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 8:53 AM, ThomasBarrow said:

Has anyone travelled from North England or South Scotland to Southampton on the coach with intercruises? What was it like and how long did it take? Do you get stops? Is there plenty of leg room and is it comfortable?

Travelled twice with Intercruises from Washington Services (nearest to Newcastle). Left at 5.30am with 2 45min breaks. No other pick ups. Arrived Southampton 1pm. Leg room depends on the coach. So far have had 3 different coaches. 

• Like 2