Coach transfer to Southampton

Leave Glasgow 3.15, Toilet stop about Carlisle, 1.30 about Manchester, then straight to Southampton.1.30 All the cases are taken care of,stress free.The drivers are very nice, Traveling threw the night, if you can sleep is great. Don’t hesitate 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I see on the Beeb that Eavesway were stuck on the M6 yesterday for 8 hours due to an oil spill and all those passengers have missed their cruise.  Ship waited for 2 hours, but then had to leave.  Feel sorry for all those affected.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crg93g29rnlo?fbclid=IwAR3e0tkcNGgjpVTqupVBw35U1Q1X0EEL1t1KbJrsKFVugdA48_4Tbcy7d-Q

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 1:13 PM, jeanlyon said:

I see on the Beeb that Eavesway were stuck on the M6 yesterday for 8 hours due to an oil spill and all those passengers have missed their cruise.  Ship waited for 2 hours, but then had to leave.  Feel sorry for all those affected.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crg93g29rnlo?fbclid=IwAR3e0tkcNGgjpVTqupVBw35U1Q1X0EEL1t1KbJrsKFVugdA48_4Tbcy7d-Q

What happensif you have booked through P&O? Would you get the cruise refunded?

6 minutes ago, ThomasBarrow said:

What happensif you have booked through P&O? Would you get the cruise refunded?

No, as Eavesway are not contracted to P&O. Intercruises are so the ship waited for them. Looks like insurance claims will be difficult for the poor souls who lost their holidays. 

• Thanks 1

I understand that if there is a problem on the motorways then coach drivers are in touch with each other so that they may be able to leave the motorway ahead of the problem and do a detour. For those caught in the middle of the accident it is of course a different matter. Once of a day, they could remove some of the barriers to let at least one lane go on the other side of the road. Don’t know if they can still do that with the new concrete central reservations and then of course you have the death trap “smart” motorways. Nothing is straightforward anymore. Having said that we have really fallen out of love with airports and are chancing our arm using the coaches to Soton.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, but being the wrong side of seventy I find coach travel difficult. I am just over 6 feet tall and to me the seats are cramped. I did travel via coach last year and the problems, not all related to the coach started when because a neighbour gave us a lift to Newmarket, approximately 45 minutes from where we live he decided he wasn't going to arrive late. We got there an hour before the coach was due. Having to stand in the cold as it was March wasn't great fun. The coach having to pick up in many locations arrived in Port mid afternoon to the sight of hundreds queuing and cases piled high as Ventura had arrived in Port 5 hours late. Due to the many problems that arose before and during that cruise I have abandoned P&O for a cruise on Sky Princess later in the year and we are going down to Southampton by train, well that is unless they replace some of the travel by bus.             

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Don't get me wrong, but being the wrong side of seventy I find coach travel difficult. I am just over 6 feet tall and to me the seats are cramped. I did travel via coach last year and the problems, not all related to the coach started when because a neighbour gave us a lift to Newmarket, approximately 45 minutes from where we live he decided he wasn't going to arrive late. We got there an hour before the coach was due. Having to stand in the cold as it was March wasn't great fun. The coach having to pick up in many locations arrived in Port mid afternoon to the sight of hundreds queuing and cases piled high as Ventura had arrived in Port 5 hours late. Due to the many problems that arose before and during that cruise I have abandoned P&O for a cruise on Sky Princess later in the year and we are going down to Southampton by train, well that is unless they replace some of the travel by bus.             

Just for information what time was the coach due to arrive at Newmarket. Thanks 

The constant threat of industrial action has IMO made it difficult to book train travel with confidence these days,we have twice booked to travel by train only to see strikes announced nearer the travel date

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My cruise onboard Arvia will be my first ever cruise, which im really looking forward to. I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne and have chosen to use the P&O coach transfer (Inter cruises) to & from the ship to Southampton. Has anyone used this service from Newcastle to Southampton, and how long does it take? I was chatting on a facebook group and one woman told me some friends of hers used this service and missed the ship due to delays on the motorway so the ship sailed without them(Not nice). This is now in the back of my mind so after a little reassurance from anyone who has used this service. My other question is on disembarkation day, everyone gets different disembarkation times so how does the return transfer work for example does the coach have to wait until everyone booked has boarded the coach then departs, or does it leave at a set allocated time. Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Geordie41 said:

one woman told me some friends of hers used this service and missed the ship due to delays on the motorway so the ship sailed without them

That is a very rare occurrence but it is not unknown. As long as you have booked the coach transfer via P&O then in such circumstances P&O will do their utmost to get you to the ship at the next port of call - however, depending on the cruise, that may not always be possible or, for any number of reasons, it may not be something that you want/can do (for example you may not be able to fly)

on disembarkation day, everyone gets different disembarkation times so how does the return transfer work for example does the coach have to wait until everyone booked has boarded the coach then departs

My understanding is that those on coaches will all be given the same disembarkation time and the coach will not leave until everyone is onboard that particular coach - however you will be at the mercy of the last passenger to arrive at the coach.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are travelling by Intercruise from Scotch Corner next weekend. Last September we used Eavesway to do the same journey for a cruise on Arcadia. We were picked up at 05:30 (the Intercruise was due 06:00) and we were in Southampton and off the coach at around 13:20. We were in our cabin 20 minutes later. The Eavesway coach drivers are all in touch with each other, any traffic issues are relayed to each driver and alternative avoiding routes are quickly plotted. I would assume Intercruise have the same system. It would be a rare occurrence for a coach to miss a ship.

I an afraid disembarkation you are very much in the hands of the last coach passenger. We disembarked at just after 08:00 and the last straggler arrived 08:50, which we were told was very good. Our return home was not the most pleasant, we travelled back during one of the named storms and had to take multiple alternative diversions - we saw villages I didn't know existed. It was a long tiring day.

The stragglers can also hold the coach up at rest/drop off stops, the driver would say 20 minute break, and somebody would casually stroll up 5 minutes after. Such is life.

Edited by AlexMcSpot

We have been using Intercruises from Newcastle (Washington services) for years. Never missed a ship. Three weeks ago we were picked up at 5.30am and in port at 12.50pm. The usual contractor from Newcastle is Weardale coaches. They use two drivers so you don't have to stop too long for breaks. When you arrive at the port you go straight to check-in.

For return P&O know you are on coach and are given an early checkout. Unfortunately it can take up to an hour for everyone to be on the coach. We have arrived back at Washington at various times between 4-5pm

• Like 1

We have used Intercruises several times,clean,comfy coaches with helpful drivers,the trips to Southampton have all been a breeze,the returns not so.

as has been said you are at the mercy of latecomers but on our return fr ok m Arcadia last year traffic was the big problem,everywhere we went seemed like a car park,leaving the ship just before 0900hrs it was 1900 hrs before we reached our drop off point near Chester,makes you feel like you need a holiday!😕😕

• Like 1

We once waited over 30 minutes for a couple, when eventually traced it was discovered that they had forgotten that they had travelled down on Intercruise and were on their way home by Eavesway. Not sure how they managed it but presumably they convinced the driver that they should have been on his list.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Lizzyanne said:

We once waited over 30 minutes for a couple, when eventually traced it was discovered that they had forgotten that they had travelled down on Intercruise and were on their way home by Eavesway. Not sure how they managed it but presumably they convinced the driver that they should have been on his list.

Just shows however good the system is there is always an idiot around to muck it up!😆😆

Edited by snaefell

On 4/6/2024 at 7:50 AM, Geordie41 said:

My cruise onboard Arvia will be my first ever cruise, which im really looking forward to. I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne and have chosen to use the P&O coach transfer (Inter cruises) to & from the ship to Southampton. Has anyone used this service from Newcastle to Southampton, and how long does it take? I was chatting on a facebook group and one woman told me some friends of hers used this service and missed the ship due to delays on the motorway so the ship sailed without them(Not nice). This is now in the back of my mind so after a little reassurance from anyone who has used this service. My other question is on disembarkation day, everyone gets different disembarkation times so how does the return transfer work for example does the coach have to wait until everyone booked has boarded the coach then departs, or does it leave at a set allocated time. Many thanks.

I’m on Arvia now so if you want any info just let me know & I’ll try my best. 

Don’t know when you are travelling but I'm on a school holiday cruise so more activities for kids and a very full ship!

but even if you are travelling at a quieter time I can try and answer any general question 😊

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:50 AM, Geordie41 said:

From what I have read, there was a case of a very bad delay on a motorway a couple of weeks ago because of a big incident which left the road closed for a long time with vehicles trapped on the road for a very long time and people on a coach did not get to the ship.  That coach was not an official P&O coach (booked through P&O), so the cruise line had no responsibility to get the passengers to the ship at a later port.  Insurance may have been claimable by the passengers for a problem with public transport getting to the port, but will have obviously depended on the insurance policy. 

A coach booked through P&O would leave P&O with an obligation to passengers and, as mentioned previously, they will wait for the coach, or if a very long delay, do their best to get you on to the ship at another port.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

I’m on Arvia now so if you want any info just let me know & I’ll try my best. 

Don’t know when you are travelling but I'm on a school holiday cruise so more activities for kids and a very full ship!

but even if you are travelling at a quieter time I can try and answer any general question 😊

Thank you very much. My cruise is on the 12th of May next month so im assuming it will be less full with it being out of school holidays. Im hoping to try out Keel & Cow at least twice as it looks amazing, ive already picked what I fancy off the menu hahha, a nice big T-Bone Steak. What kind of entertainers are there on there at the moment? my ideal entertainers would be acrobatic type shows, comedians or ventriloquists, magicians and singers, not a huge fan of like broadway shows but would still watch them i suppose. Are the pool areas jam packed? and whats the sunbed situation like for grabbing a sunbed?. Thans a lot, Chris.

Im hoping to try out Keel & Cow at least twice as it looks amazing

I had the Sirloin and it was lovely. Asked for Medium rare and it was perfect. The Keel and cow is extra cost but good value imo. Service is a step up from the Main dining room (which is still decent) and it was quiet when we went at 6pm. 

we are trying The Beach house tonight. I’ll let you know if that’s worth it too! It was great on the Ventura. 

What kind of entertainers are there on there at the moment? my ideal entertainers would be acrobatic type shows, comedians or ventriloquists, magicians and singers,

You will find singers all over the ship. The Clubhouse and The 710 Club are very popular and on this ship you need to book spaces in the 710 and they fill up quick. But you will be on a quieter ship.

we have had a singer and a ventriloquist in the theatre too. I like the Broadway type shows so have seen 2 of those but not the other shows. Sounds like they were very popular though.

no acrobatics here (so far!) which is a shame because I saw some great shows in the Iona Skydome. That one is a little different though. The roof on Iona doesn’t retract so they use the whole centre of the dome for shows with a stage over the pool. it’s really nice to have the retractable roof on Ariva in the Med though!

Here are some pics of the horizon paper.

you’ll get these in the early evening with all the activities for the next day. Yesterday’s one pictures was a sea day.

excuse the creases. They tend to travel with me so I can read them in a lounge or while waiting for a show to start.

hopfully you can zoom in ok to read. Obviously you won’t have as many family activities but hopfully it’s a decent example of what you can expect

image.thumb.jpg.8c97063b0c7647194b3d370fb5d24e7e.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.e92548088beeb12a5a81d3faa50b200b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.98dc883a5d87e6c1376febca65b53356.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ff4ea8365037b423e79dc7269315bf14.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.45d5f5bf855b9fc876b596ae20b0c827.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.cd877ee7df9c3ba7823be9bed1de99f1.jpg

todays one is a port day!

image.thumb.jpg.911d5ac011902c05f628807e70b6f35d.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.e0f6a184a3ed4304ca22bee5af826ae8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.9178e0a2273d95a09c8ec2672ca8977e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.12500fd67ed95f80addfd1afce99215d.jpg

• Like 2

Are the pool areas jam packed? and whats the sunbed situation like for grabbing a sunbed?.

I doubt yours will be as packed as these ones with lots of kids in the med

that said this morning is a port day. We didn’t get off the ship today and the pools were lovely and quiet

even though the ship is packed, you’ll be able to get a sunbed even with 6000 passengers if you are ok with not being right by the pool. By the pool- very hard to get one. Might be better for you though.

I have a post on the go about coping with 6000 passengers on Arivia but it’s got other info you might find helpful from others who have replied to that.

We are on G409 Iona next week and have a 10am pick-up at Burtonwood (North West route), previously we were an 8am pick-up, with final boarding stated as 4.30pm this seems very tight and my other issue is doesn't give much time to get checked-in, unpack and get ready for dinner. 

Has anyone done this trip recently and can advise what time they arrived and embarked?

On 3/6/2024 at 9:59 AM, JeanieC,Aston said:

I only ever use the coach from the North West,,,,P&O coach (Intercruises) or Eavesway from Burtonwood Services,,,,,Eavesway picks up at 07:45,Intercruises have been as late as 09:00,usually on a Ellisons coach.

Both companies have comfy coaches with most importantly toilets on board.

one thing I look for is the difference in price between Select and Saver.

With Eavesway being £110 each I look at the difference in price if I take the included coach on Select.

Usually it works out it better for me to book Saver (Don’t mind dining time and can book location with Saver) although not always beneficial

My next cruise was a difference of £200 with £70 OBC.so it was a Benefit to go the Select route.

I preference Eavesway as I know what I’m getting,,,,love Ellisons coaches but never sure we get them on the return.have had some old clunkers.

From Warrington it’s usually 5.5hrs with three or four pick ups with a 40min drivers stop for late breakfast usually at Warwick Services,,,drivers get advance notice from other drivers which services are less busy,,,,,,on return it’s Norton Cains services for lunch.

Dont know if Celebrity docks earlier than P&O but we are always on the road at least 1 hour before coaches from P&O.

I load 5 Rolling Stones albums on my iPad just finishes listening to them as we arrive in Southampton,,,,always better than murdering my arthritic hip driving.

Hi, we are from Burtonwood next week for Iona but with a 10am pick-up which seems very late to me, actually says final boarding is 4.30pm so not much margin for delays. I know P&O monitor the coaches but don't understand why so late, even means we are rushing to get unpacked, showered and ready for dinner

12 hours ago, heathstockton4 said:

Has anyone done the North West route (Burtonwood) with the new and later pick-up time, we are a 10am pick-up from Burtonwood which seems very late to me?

It does seem late,with lunch stop it’s 5 hrs plus.

Eavesway have always left Burtonwood at 07:45 and usually pulls into the terminal around 13:30.