British Isles Explorer - Churchill Extension

TexasAlan

This will be my wife and my first visit to London.  We are doing the Churchill extension.  Would like to add a couple of independent activities while in London if the extension schedule allows.  Tried calling Viking to see if they could provide any insight into days we might have an opportunity to look around on our own, no luck.  Anyone have any knowledge of this topic or an idea how to answer this question?

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TexasAlan said:

This will be my wife and my first visit to London.  We are doing the Churchill extension.  Would like to add a couple of independent activities while in London if the extension schedule allows.  Tried calling Viking to see if they could provide any insight into days we might have an opportunity to look around on our own, no luck.  Anyone have any knowledge of this topic or an idea how to answer this question?

Thanks in advance.

Although I have not been on this particular extension, I have visited London several times and would suggest that you look into London Walks for independent tours in your free time. For most of their tours you can just meet up at the designated time and place (usually a Tube stop) and pay. This offers you the flexibility to accommodate whatever your free time slot happens to be.

We have taken at least a dozen of their tours and all of them are excellent with knowledgeable and entertaining guides at a very reasonable price.

https://www.walks.com

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

London is fascinating!  Don't miss Westminster Abbey, that can consume as many hours as you are willing to spend there.  The HOHO bus gives you a good overview.

18 hours ago, Pam said:

London is fascinating!  Don't miss Westminster Abbey, that can consume as many hours as you are willing to spend there.  The HOHO bus gives you a good overview.

Thanks Pam

On 3/4/2024 at 4:08 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Although I have not been on this particular extension, I have visited London several times and would suggest that you look into London Walks for independent tours in your free time. For most of their tours you can just meet up at the designated time and place (usually a Tube stop) and pay. This offers you the flexibility to accommodate whatever your free time slot happens to be.

We have taken at least a dozen of their tours and all of them are excellent with knowledgeable and entertaining guides at a very reasonable price.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:08 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

1 minute ago, TexasAlan said:

Thanks Pam

Absolutely!  I missed the War Rooms  but my daughter and son-in-law went; she said she could spend countless hours there with no problem.  

The War Rooms are indeed fascinating but I would like to add that the IWM has multiple “campuses” and the main one on Lambeth Road is one of the best museums I have ever visited. The exhibits are incredible. 

For history and WWII buffs the fighter command bunker at Uxbridge is on par with the War Rooms. IMO it’s a must see. Just take the Tube to the last stop at Uxbridge and grab a cab to The Bunker.

IMG_6116.thumb.jpeg.4269518e71c7947cd687645262f3c783.jpeg

IMG_6117.thumb.jpeg.cc1af3c5ae7012b52a1f7c6716ce4e29.jpeg

IMG_6100.thumb.jpeg.50fc71d9837e72e0778cabde44490f3b.jpeg

We did the Churchill extension last summer.  It was wonderful.  You have a completely private evening tour of the Churchill Warrooms after hours, exclusively for the Viking small group, with a catered three course dinner and champagne in the warrooms.  Before dinner, we were split into three groups of 7 or so with an expert to tour the rooms, then we toured the exhibits, met for champagne and a short lecture and then were seated for dinner.  Just the 22 or so of us.  It was a highlight of the entire trip.

We had full day trips to Blenheim Palace, Bletchley Park, Chartwell, and much more, with little free time.  Bletchley Park and Chartwell were favorites of mine.  The last day we had a walking tour in the morning then most of the day free before meeting at a pub for a fish and chips group dinner by Trafalgar Square.  Some skipped the tour and did their own touring before joining us for dinner.

When our group disembarked, the bus took us on a panoramic tour and then we toured Westminster Abbey with our guide before heading to the hotel.  We had that afternoon free and we could not check in early.

On our last night on board we did the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London with Viking.  Very impressive.  Pricey but worth it.

This was our first Viking trip and we loved every minute of it!  Enjoy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Newdaytrippers said:

We did the Churchill extension last summer.  It was wonderful.  You have a completely private evening tour of the Churchill Warrooms after hours, exclusively for the Viking small group, with a catered three course dinner and champagne in the warrooms.  Before dinner, we were split into three groups of 7 or so with an expert to tour the rooms, then we toured the exhibits, met for champagne and a short lecture and then were seated for dinner.  Just the 22 or so of us.  It was a highlight of the entire trip.

We had full day trips to Blenheim Palace, Bletchley Park, Chartwell, and much more, with little free time.  Bletchley Park and Chartwell were favorites of mine.  The last day we had a walking tour in the morning then most of the day free before meeting at a pub for a fish and chips group dinner by Trafalgar Square.  Some skipped the tour and did their own touring before joining us for dinner.

When our group disembarked, the bus took us on a panoramic tour and then we toured Westminster Abbey with our guide before heading to the hotel.  We had that afternoon free and we could not check in early.

On our last night on board we did the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London with Viking.  Very impressive.  Pricey but worth it.

This was our first Viking trip and we loved every minute of it!  Enjoy.

Thanks for the information, exactly what I was looking for!

Just one more thing, we also did the two day pre extension in Bergen and I am very glad we did.  Getting to Bergen from southeastern North Carolina was not easy.  We flew from Wilmington, NC to Atlanta.  From there, we were to fly to Amsterdam and then to Bergen.  But intense afternoon thunderstorms rolled through Atlanta and we were more than three hours late taking off.  We missed our connection in Amsterdam.  Viking Air was fantastic.  They already had rerouted us but we ended up having to fly to Oslo and then to Bergen.  A total of four flights.  The last two flights were boarded on the tarmac, and DH has mobility issues, but we had assistance and it worked well.  It was 28 hours of travel.  But Viking greeted us in Bergen and whisked us to the hotel and it was smooth sailing from there.  I had shipped our luggage ahead (to the ship) using Luggage Forward. That also worked well. I only had to deal with our carryon.  We needed the two days to recover.  The Bergen Bors was our hotel.  We liked it a lot.  Centrally located and great breakfast and bar.  This is a long-winded way of suggesting you plan to arrive at least a day in advance.