Independent Travel to Florence from ship

herveypoodle

35 minutes ago, herveypoodle said:

I would l8ke to go to Florence without using the ship excursion, as too expensive. Is it possible to do? Wouldn’t like to be left behind 🤔

From La Spieza ?. Its a long train journey. Get it wrong and the ship won't wait.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We did Pisa independently by train which we enjoyed and is much closer.  Florence we've only done on the ship's excursions - it is quite a distance. 

(Just seen zap's post - we travelled from Livorno.  If its La Spezia I'd recommend a DIY to Cinque Terre - close by and very doable) 

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

From La Spieza ?. Its a long train journey. Get it wrong and the ship won't wait.

Thank you. It’s a “No” then.  Have been before, but it was torrential rain, so didn’t see much of it.

I’d say it is too risky in my humble opinion. The Italian rail system (like some bits of the rail network in the U.K. to be honest) is not the most reliable.

If you did DIY once you are actually in Florence most of the main attractions are within a nice compact area and not too far from the station.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

We did Pisa independently by train which we enjoyed and is much closer.  Florence we've only done on the ship's excursions - it is quite a distance. 

(Just seen zap's post - we travelled from Livorno.  If its La Spezia I'd recommend a DIY to Cinque Terre - close by and very doable) 

We have been to Florence from Livorno. The big ships go to La Spieza. Thats much further to Florence. Last time we got the ferry to Porto Venerre. Very pleasant. If it all goes wrong a taxi, or bus will get you back. That's probably what we will do in May.

Edited by zap99

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have been to Florence from Livorno. The big ships go to La Spieza. Thats much further to Florence. Last time we got the ferry to Porto Venerre. Very pleasant. If it all goes wrong a taxi, or bus will get you back. That's probably what we will do in May.

Fabulous area to DiY   The last time we went we got the train from La Spezia to Vernazza (my favourite of the Cinque Terre towns) then the ferry from there to Porto Venere then local bus back to La Spezia.  It was a great day.  Like you say, not far to get a taxi back if necessary. 

The Cinque Terre Card is good value like a hop-on-hop-off but we'd done that before so wanted to see the Cinque Terre from the sea so elected to come back by the ferry via Porto Venere - very picturesque area and easy to explore using local transport.  Enjoy when you go in May. 

• Like 2

On 3/5/2024 at 3:33 PM, herveypoodle said:

would l8ke to go to Florence without using the ship excursion, as too expensive. Is it possible to do? Wouldn’t like to be left behind

Should you decide against Florence and are looking for alternative ideas,reading past threads would be helpful.  Search in the usual quick way, although this thread has a number of suggestions and would be a good starting point. You only need ignore the reference to driving as it quickly changes  to mostly independent sightseeing suggestions from la Spezia.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2911139-la-spezia-anything-to-do-within-a-short-drive/#comment-64723978

• Like 1