Royal - Galveston Luggage Pickup

Overall, I was really impressed with the Royal's Galveston Terminal.   Well, except for the lack of signs on the street.  I thought I'd mention something that came as a surprise to me.  

When you go to get your luggage, all the luggage is out there and available.    You walk into a giant warehouse.  There are ribbon barricades to corral the traffic.   The luggage is in labeled groups with empty floor space between.   I really wish I'd taken a photo.  Our group had maybe 40 pieces of luggage.  

This was our first cruise, and we got group 24 which was expected to disembark at either 9:00 or 9:30 am, they kept changing that.  We'd probably left our rooms at 8:30 am.  Our daughter was sick, so we'd left her in the room and ate breakfast.  The cabin attendent seemed happy with us after we'd tipped him, so he said it was fine to leave on the later end since he'd be working on other cabins. About 8:40 we were on the right floor and I told the crew guy standing there that we were group 24 and asked where we should go.   I was expecting him to point me to a waiting area.   But, he said to just get in line.  Since it was long, by the time we got to the front they'd be calling our number.  The line went past the elevators.  So, we get in the line which was moving pretty fast.   No problems leaving.   No one asked for our group number, and while in line I didn't hear any groups called.   We got to the luggage warehouse and I see all the luggage and our luggage group.  DH goes to get the car from covered parking, while I grab the luggage.  It seems that we were the first from our group to arrive.   I'd had yellow ribbons on all of ours, so they were easy to find.  The porters seemed very eager to help people with the luggage.  There was a line of them waiting to help people and it happened to go near our luggage.   A porter tried to get me to ask for him (so he could cut the line)   I just took the next porter.  I just had the porter take our luggage to the barricades since DH wasn't back with the car yet.  DD and I waited at least 10 minutes for DH to come with the car.   We had the car loaded up including tetrising the luggage in the trunk, and we are just getting into the car to drive away when I hear them call "Group 24."   The front outside area had been sparsely populated when we first got there, but was crowded by the time we left.  

3 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Overall, I was really impressed with the Royal's Galveston Terminal.   Well, except for the lack of signs on the street.  I thought I'd mention something that came as a surprise to me.  

When you go to get your luggage, all the luggage is out there and available.    You walk into a giant warehouse.  There are ribbon barricades to corral the traffic.   The luggage is in labeled groups with empty floor space between.   I really wish I'd taken a photo.  Our group had maybe 40 pieces of luggage.  

This was our first cruise, and we got group 24 which was expected to disembark at either 9:00 or 9:30 am, they kept changing that.  We'd probably left our rooms at 8:30 am.  Our daughter was sick, so we'd left her in the room and ate breakfast.  The cabin attendent seemed happy with us after we'd tipped him, so he said it was fine to leave on the later end since he'd be working on other cabins. About 8:40 we were on the right floor and I told the crew guy standing there that we were group 24 and asked where we should go.   I was expecting him to point me to a waiting area.   But, he said to just get in line.  Since it was long, by the time we got to the front they'd be calling our number.  The line went past the elevators.  So, we get in the line which was moving pretty fast.   No problems leaving.   No one asked for our group number, and while in line I didn't hear any groups called.   We got to the luggage warehouse and I see all the luggage and our luggage group.  DH goes to get the car from covered parking, while I grab the luggage.  It seems that we were the first from our group to arrive.   I'd had yellow ribbons on all of ours, so they were easy to find.  The porters seemed very eager to help people with the luggage.  There was a line of them waiting to help people and it happened to go near our luggage.   A porter tried to get me to ask for him (so he could cut the line)   I just took the next porter.  I just had the porter take our luggage to the barricades since DH wasn't back with the car yet.  DD and I waited at least 10 minutes for DH to come with the car.   We had the car loaded up including tetrising the luggage in the trunk, and we are just getting into the car to drive away when I hear them call "Group 24."   The front outside area had been sparsely populated when we first got there, but was crowded by the time we left.  

Sounds a fairly typical disembarkation procedure. 

you are supposed to watch the screens for group numbers. I thought they had generally stopped making announcements other than towards the end when they are trying to clear the ship.

You should have had a designated waiting area listed on your info in your cabin with disembarkation procedure unless that is another info sheet they have dispensed with? We generally have an earlier tag but  wait until our color is called on the screen.

We have no desire to wait in a long line and certainly avoid the long line of those all rushing to do self-assist from ships in Galveston. 

• Like 1