Experiences with Hop-On Hop-Off Bus around the world

Andy_P

10 hours ago, Liao said:

Good intel for HoHo in London, much appreciated.  This is a land vacation so we will plan to use HoHo early just to get a lay of the land early in the week.  Then off to Scotland.

Honestly, I would consider HoHo in London to be a waste of time.  It's an easy city to get around, but the buses sit in traffic a lot.  Look into taking walking tours if you're mobile. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Honestly, I would consider HoHo in London to be a waste of time.  It's an easy city to get around, but the buses sit in traffic a lot.  Look into taking walking tours if you're mobile.  I did not mean to quote you, bEwAbg; I honestly do know the difference between London and Paris!🙃

The only time we ever rode one was in Paris; it worked out well because the bus was rather empty on top with beautiful weather.  We had spent most of the day taking our bikes on the train to Palace of Versailles(small group bike tour and wonderful) and we were exhausted.  

Edited by Lastdance
Having a senior moment!

26 replies has given pretty much what you would expect.

Great way to simply ride the circuit and get an inexpensive overview of a city.

The experience varies from place to place as the operators are a franchise. 

Sometimes difficult to get back on.  In Naples we rode the 45 minute circuit from the port and stayed on until the Naples Museum stop.  Visited the museum and took a long leisurely walk back.

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

26 replies has given pretty much what you would expect.

Great way to simply ride the circuit and get an inexpensive overview of a city.

The experience varies from place to place as the operators are a franchise. 

Sometimes difficult to get back on.  In Naples we rode the 45 minute circuit from the port and stayed on until the Naples Museum stop.  Visited the museum and took a long leisurely walk back.

The one in Naples was the best we have been on.  Got off at the very top of the circuit on the hill and spent a lot of time wandering around and taking in those spectacular views.

13 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Honestly, I would consider HoHo in London to be a waste of time.  It's an easy city to get around, but the buses sit in traffic a lot.  Look into taking walking tours if you're mobile. 

A friend and I did the London HOHO on the day we landed, jet lagged, on our first visit to the city.  We wanted to get out and see something, but we didn't have a lot of energy after a sleepless night on the plane.  We had all afternoon without any specific plan of where we might get off.   We didn't care that it was slow and sometimes stuck in traffic; we were enjoying people-watching and the street life of London.  

But you are right that HOHO buses are a poor choice for actual transportation from point A to point B. That's when their slowness and irregular schedules are a problem.   We found the Tube to be fast, efficient, and easy to navigate for getting around to the specific places we wanted to visit after that first day.  

• Like 1