Bringing drinks back onboard in Europe

Posted (edited)

Im not sure if i should post this here or on the British Isles.. here goes.

Is it true to assume that when I'm visiting ports in the British Isles sub I can bring alcohol (ex bottle of wine) or other beverages back on board with me and not have them held til end of cruise? Visiting UK, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales if that matters

Tawnya 

Edited by Uniqeni

Hi I'm from Britain and I know of no legal reason why you can't do this. We frequently cruise in Europe and have never had a problem taking alcohol back onto the ship. Whether or not Carnival's own policies allow this, though, I don't know. 

DH and I cruised Carnival Pride from Civitavecchia to Greece, Turkey and Italy and brought wine back on board at almost all ports and a bottle of rum (yes, we are pirates🏴‍☠️) for cocktails.  I'm hoping it's the same scenario in Northern Europe since we have a cruise booked there for June 2025👍

• Like 1

You absolutely CAN. We brought a nice Irish Whiskey and later a good bottle of Scotch onboard for consumption in our cabin last summer on our 21 day Iceland/UK B2B.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

You absolutely CAN. We brought a nice Irish Whiskey and later a good bottle of Scotch onboard for consumption in our cabin last summer on our 21 day Iceland/UK B2B.

YAY!!  💃😸

• Like 1

Not to go off topic @ninjacat123 but what's your route? We did the 12 day Iceland followed by the 9 day British Isles. Our only repeat ports were Dun Laoghaire (Dublin) and Belfast. Both were worthy of a second visit. Great cruises.

5 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Not to go off topic @ninjacat123 but what's your route? We did the 12 day Iceland followed by the 9 day British Isles. Our only repeat ports were Dun Laoghaire (Dublin) and Belfast. Both were worthy of a second visit. Great cruises.

Holyhead, Belfast, Liverpool, Glasgow, Cobh, Dublin. 1st time and super excited 😄 

11 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Here it is!  Soooo excited!!

Sun DOVER (LONDON), ENGLAND   5:00 PM

Mon FUN DAY AT SEA    

Tue COPENHAGEN, DENMARK 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Wed KIEL (HAMBURG), GERMANY 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thu WARNEMUNDE (BERLIN), GERMANY 7:30 AM 11:00 PM

Fri FUN DAY AT SEA    

Sat TALLINN, ESTONIA 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sun HELSINKI, FINLAND 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Mon NYNASHAMN (STOCKHOLM), SWEDEN 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Tue FUN DAY AT SEA    

Wed FUN DAY AT SEA    

Thu AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Fri DOVER (LONDON), ENGLAND 5:00 AM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carnival's policy doesn't change in Europe, but enforcement is lax. They could enforce anytime. When you leave the ship in a port, if they have set up a liquor collection table, that is a clue.

Posted (edited)

Blerk, I believe you are incorrect. My recollection is that Carnival is prohibited from enforcing that policy by local regulations. The topic actually came up onboard. They would if they could.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival's policy doesn't change in Europe, but enforcement is lax. They could enforce anytime. When you leave the ship in a port, if they have set up a liquor collection table, that is a clue.

Incorrect, they let you know its not an issue at all actually. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Blerk, I believe you are incorrect. My recollection is that Carnival is prohibited from enforcing that policy by local regulations. The topic actually came up onboard. They would if they could.

3 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Incorrect, they let you know its not an issue at all actually. 

It is correct. The ticket contract is the ticket contract. Whoever "they" are, are mistaken. I would like someone to produce documentation that cruise lines are prohibited from enforcing. Local regulations would be just that and not applicable to all ports. I have seen them setting up a liquor collection table.

Posted (edited)
Just now, BlerkOne said:

It is correct. The ticket contract is the ticket contract. Whoever "they" are, are mistaken. I would like someone to produce documentation that cruise lines are prohibited from enforcing. Local regulations would be just that and not applicable to all ports. I have seen them setting up a liquor collection table.

Whatever you say. Obviously all those giving first hand, recent information must be just making it up. I have zero interest tracking down documentation for your satisfaction. OP--Enjoy the cruise and stock up on spirits in every port!

Edited by elcuchio24

1 minute ago, elcuchio24 said:

Whatever you say. Obviously all those giving first hand, recent information must be just making it up. I have zero interest tracking down documentation for your satisfaction. OP--Enjoy the cruise and stock up on spirits in every port!

I never said you can't. I do it myself. We often cruise in Europe. I also am aware of the ticket contract which everyone agrees to abide by.

You used to hear bottles of liquor clinking along in people's luggage in US ports until Carnival decided to crack down.

You can do it until you can't. And then some will whine about it.

Just to add. They may have actually set up a table. Nothing illegal about that. Some folks might actually utilize it. The difference is that security was not authorized to compel usage. I believe our CD Frankie even spoke on the topic when pressed. Our liquor went right through the scanner. We retrieved it like it was a pair of sunglasses or a hat. It had nothing to do with 'lax enforcement'.

Of course it's NOT going to be removed from the cruise contract. And I'm not going to go looking for some paperwork to satisfy you. But there are provisions of all contracts that are 100% unenforceable in certain jurisdictions. That makes them null and void locally. I'd guess that's the legal reality in this case.  Simply accept that you are in error. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Just to add. They may have actually set up a table. Nothing illegal about that. Some folks might actually utilize it. The difference is that security was not authorized to compel usage. I believe our CD Frankie even spoke on the topic when pressed. Our liquor went right through the scanner. We retrieved it like it was a pair of sunglasses or a hat. It had nothing to do with 'lax enforcement'.

Of course it's NOT going to be removed from the cruise contract. And I'm not going to go looking for some paperwork to satisfy you. But there are provisions of all contracts that are 100% unenforceable in certain jurisdictions. That makes them null and void locally. I'd guess that's the legal reality in this case.  Simply accept that you are in error. 

We agree to disagree. I do plan on carry on liquor on our 2 European cruises this year, but am aware I could be stopped.

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Here it is!  Soooo excited!!

Sun DOVER (LONDON), ENGLAND   5:00 PM

Mon FUN DAY AT SEA    

Tue COPENHAGEN, DENMARK 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Wed KIEL (HAMBURG), GERMANY 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thu WARNEMUNDE (BERLIN), GERMANY 7:30 AM 11:00 PM

Fri FUN DAY AT SEA    

Sat TALLINN, ESTONIA 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sun HELSINKI, FINLAND 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Mon NYNASHAMN (STOCKHOLM), SWEDEN 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Tue FUN DAY AT SEA    

Wed FUN DAY AT SEA    

Thu AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Fri DOVER (LONDON), ENGLAND 5:00 AM

NIIICE trip Ninja - we are going on a different line and doing France, Spain & Portugal in 2025.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kleibo said:

NIIICE trip Ninja - we are going on a different line and doing France, Spain & Portugal in 2025.  Can't wait.

On Miracle? From London to Rome? See ya there.

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Embarking June 8, 2025?

Nope. August 10th. It's her repo after the Dover season on the way to Rome for her autumn Med season.

• Like 1