Removed 5 Star by 9 Points

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

Hmmm..we will be in a similar situation. Next week we board for a 39 day collector. We are 49 points away from 4* . we have pre-purchased possibly enough for the 10 credit buffer...and excursions can be cancelled( which happened 3 times in the Med last fall...which caused this debacle ....but we have a plan just in case...for last minute 7day sailing for this summer because I don't know if we will make it and I am determined to be 4* for our next booking on the Rotterdam . (ps I am grateful to have this dilemma)

Your situation is different than the OP’s and other posters as you need spending credits to reach your 4* status.

From my experience the possibility of being elevated to 4* (which is an exception to the actual policy) has been only if you needed fewer days to qualify than the  days you were sailing.  In other words - you would need less than 39 mariner points (whatever equalled the sailing days for a segment) to have it even possible.  If spending credits have to be taken into account, then you need to wait until after your cruise for all the spending credits to be tabulated at achieve your 4* just as the rules stipulate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, OlsSalt said:

By the time one reaches five star, the product alone is reward enough.

We come back because we like the product; not just for the discounts or perks. Most we don't even use. Except naturally the "free" laundry. 

Yeah, I have to say a five star mariner has spent a minimum of 167 days on HAL cruises. Buddy... I don't think you need any more persuasion to get on board at this point. Is the absence of the promise of an extra 20% off the WiFi really what's keeping you from putting in another half year at sea?

IMO, the Mariner Society has the best introductory perk I've seen with the OBC. Yeah, you need to book early but it's free money. That's a big plus for HAL, and you get it right away. Two Stars is a complete speedbump and Three Stars is only a little better but at least you get the thrill of progression. At Four Stars, they've got their hooks in you. You get the laundry, you get the priority boarding. HAL is your home now. You'd give something substantial to start chasing some other loyalty program. Five Stars is just showing off. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

We were 4 days short when we moved from 3 to 4* and I was bummed b/c we always pay for laundry and I really wanted that perk. We were quite surprised when we were not charged for laundry. We did not ask, it just happened and we were very appreciative. 

I've read posts by cruisers who say to notify GS or talk to the Mariners Desk and ask them to change your status, but I believe policy is policy and we knew going in we were short. But we said a big "thank you" when it was gifted to us.

My experience was the exact opposite.  I needed four credits to move to 4* and called the Mariner Society to check on the process.  They told me I would move to 4* during the voyage but I would not receive any benefits until the next voyage.  I paid for laundry.  😒

• Like 1

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

My experience was the exact opposite.  I needed four credits to move to 4* and called the Mariner Society to check on the process.  They told me I would move to 4* during the voyage but I would not receive any benefits until the next voyage.  I paid for laundry.  😒

You gotta love HAL's consistently inconsistencies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:07 AM, Happily@Sea said:

With my lack of cruising ability [mobility issues and a solo] - I will probably never get to 5.

I like what I got for 4 - so I'm satisfied. And enjoyed all my cruises.

The only reason I'm looking forward to 4 star is for the laundry.

• Like 3