Sunday church service on board?

lianaks

Hi,

I will be on Coral Princess the end of July northbound. Does princess offer Sunday Church service on the cruise? I am Catholic and a regular Sunday church going. Princess website only mention special occasion such as Easter, Christmas, etc. Have anyone experience any kind of service princess offer if any?

Liana.

This summer when on the Sun Princess in Alaska they did have service on Sunday (was a Saturday - Saturday cruise). The service was led by the Cruise Director and was non-denominational (sp?). Truthfully, I can't imagine the CD leading services but I spoke with many who said he did a good job.

Except for holidays - I don't remember having services on every cruise. Not sure why I noticed it this summer.

If your ship does not have Sunday Catholic service and as long as the ship won't be at sea the whole day, do a google search on where you will be that Sunday and "catholic church", for example "juneau catholic church". I found one this way. Alaska's dioceses have websites.

• 8 years later...

We were just on the Coral but did southbound. Either way Sunday is a sea day. We went to the non-denominational service the Sunday we were on board. It was held in the wheel house bar and led by one of the cruise activities staff. It was mostly singing, bible readings and a little inspirational talk. If there happens to be a Catholic priest who is a passenger than he will say a mass and it will be listed in the Patters.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but maybe it will help other travelers. We are of the Jewish faith, and we usually attend services on Friday nites. When we cruise, we have found that certain cruise lines, like NCL do have a chapel on board. They usually list a Friday night service in the bulletin, but all they do is leave a bottle of wine (for prayers) and a Challah bread (which is required also for prayers). No one is there to lead the service unless one of the crew knows something about a Jewish Sabbath service. over all the times we have cruised, we have had instances where there were just 4-5 people and others when there were 40 or so, with a rabbi in attendance.

For some reason, Carnival doesn't seem to have a chapel, so all this is for naught.

Cheers

Len

May I respectfully suggest that since you will be travelling through some of the most glorious scenery God has created; you stand on deck and quietly say your own prayers. One doesn't need a priest and chalice to say thank-you to God.

Princess, as do other lines, make an effort to have a Catholic priest aboard for Christmas and Easter but it is not always possible. For other Sundays it really is the luck of the draw if a priest is aboard a cruise as a passenger and offers mass.