What is different on a transatlantic cruise?

on any ship on every line, the time change is completely at the whim of the Captain. Some like 11 am change, some like noon time change, but by far, most change the clocks at 2 AM....at least on the 27 TA's that we have done (Princess, RCCL, and Celebrity)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, spunks said:

on any ship on every line, the time change is completely at the whim of the Captain. Some like 11 am change, some like noon time change, but by far, most change the clocks at 2 AM....at least on the 27 TA's that we have done (Princess, RCCL, and Celebrity)

I think that the change in the middle of the day is the best choice because then a couple of announcements ship wide get everyone changing their phones, watches, tablets, and laptops while they are awake and in the minute.

Changing at 2am risks many people forgetting and then the ship is running on two times.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I think that the change in the middle of the day is the best choice because then a couple of announcements ship wide get everyone changing their phones, watches, tablets, and laptops while they are awake and in the minute.

Changing at 2am risks many people forgetting and then the ship is running on two times.

That is my preference as well. The first time I experienced a noon change I thought it was weird, but I soon noticed that it seemed much easier on me. I continue to be amazed that the Captain does not consult me on major decisions like this......

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dochobart said:

Cruising eastbound can make early dining a challenge as you lose 1 hour x 8 days 

In a situation like this, I just don't think about time changing, I just work off my clock/watch and still do things by time.... BUT I see what you are saying...  

I am about to do a Westbound crossing where time will go in the opposite direction.

Cruising Eastbound would make dinner move an hour earlier each day.

8 hours ago, Dochobart said:

Cruising eastbound can make early dining a challenge as you lose 1 hour x 8 days 

I guess it depends on where tour starting and ending points are - a typical NY to Southampton crossing is scheduled for seven days, and there is a five time zone difference.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, SantaMark said:

Next year will be our first TA.

How would pack for two weeks, then seven days in Europe. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

For something like this, we look at weather.  

Are you travelling summer season in Europe?  Shoulder season?  Winter season?

Consider also that once you are off the cruise ship, no one is going to see you wearing the same thing while on land in Europe.  We have gotten to the point from where we had a different shirt for each evening on the ship, to we now wear the same shirt 2 or 3 times during the cruise.

Not that we never make a mistake, but we have become so good at packing for all occasions and needs, but we also plan to wear many things twice, three times, and perhaps even more.

Pants, bottoms, trousers, shorts, etc.  We take very few options.  As long as you are not spilling food/wine, then you can take far too many pieces here if you are not careful.  These options also tend to be the heavier and more bulky option for packing.

For warm destinations, we have a lot of polyester tops/shirts that can wash out in the sink and dry overnight if necessary.

Shoes is another thing.  We used to take far too many pairs.  Now we take one for ship only evening wear, and two for walking around, one of which is on the feet when travelling.

Does your cruise ship have free laundry?  This is a consideration, or you just bite the bullet and on the last few days of the two week cruise you send a selection of things to the ship's laundry and pay for it.

Don't over think this.

This sometimes is a math equation.

For socks and underwear, it is fresh for each day travelling plus a few extra.

For everything else, it is how many times can I wear something and if you are travelling for 21 days and you can wear a top 3 times, then you take 7 + a 2 or 3 extra.

CDNPolar

Thank you for the response. Celebrity offers one free bag of laundry per trip. Which will help cut down on the volume. I quess I should have explained my thoughts further. About dragging multiple bags between hotels in Spain. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SantaMark said:

CDNPolar

Thank you for the response. Celebrity offers one free bag of laundry per trip. Which will help cut down on the volume. I quess I should have explained my thoughts further. About dragging multiple bags between hotels in Spain. 

Thanks 

If you getting a bag of laundry, you must be Elite on Celebrity 

In April 2023 our April Reflection TA , the  cruise ended in Barcelona, it was shorts temperature everyday for the cruise , even in the ports 

we were happy with the laundry service on the ship

we also use a washing bag , https://thescrubba.com/products/scrubba-wash-bag

we have done over 12 TAs , the only difficult one to plan for cloths was an Arctic TA in September, I didn’t pack shorts and I could have used them a number of day 🤣

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If you getting a bag of laundry, you must be Elite on Celebrity 

In April 2023 our April Reflection TA , the  cruise ended in Barcelona, it was shorts temperature everyday for the cruise , even in the ports 

we were happy with the laundry service on the ship

we also use a washing bag , https://thescrubba.com/products/scrubba-wash-bag

we have done over 12 TAs , the only difficult one to plan for cloths was an Arctic TA in September, I didn’t pack shorts and I could have used them a number of day 🤣

Thank you for the advice. 

18 hours ago, SantaMark said:

CDNPolar

Thanks 

Dragging bags is a challenge in many European cities because of cobblestones, so we just use an Uber or a Taxi and go door to door.  

We choose to not be weighed down by the luggage when moving around.

10 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Dragging bags is a challenge in many European cities because of cobblestones, so we just use an Uber or a Taxi and go door to door.  

We choose to not be weighed down by the luggage when moving around.

We have made no secret of our preference to have a rental/leased car while traveling in Europe (and elsewhere).  While many sing the praises of trains, we have always found trains to be a pain, when dragging luggage, and also very limiting on where one can visit.  Dragging luggage to and from a car usually involves only a few feet, and many hotels will even handle the loading/unloading.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 1:34 PM, SantaMark said:

Next year will be our first TA.

How would pack for two weeks, then seven days in Europe. 

we have done 27 TA crossings, one TP crossing and 137 cruises total.....The one thing we have learned is that NOBODY ever pays any attention to what you wear. They only notice what they wear. Do not worry about how many times you wear something. Nobody will ever be the wiser.

And as traveled as we are we still pack way more clothes than we ever wear.

....oh....and just enjoy yourself. A TA is the best cruise there is...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spunks said:

we have done 27 TA crossings, one TP crossing and 137 cruises total.....The one thing we have learned is that NOBODY ever pays any attention to what you wear. They only notice what they wear. Do not worry about how many times you wear something. Nobody will ever be the wiser.

Thank you. This is just one of my bucket list cruises. 

10 hours ago, spunks said:

I totally agree with you here and I am going to make a sexist statement that I believe women are more prone to be concerned about wearing something again or people noticing that they wore something again...

Mix and match takes care of that.  Just put a couple of days between anything and no one will know.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:59 AM, wine-wine-wine said:

I have a very intense, stressful job in Silicon Valley. What I love about TA’s is the chance to unwind, simply enjoy a good book, endless glasses of wine and the incredible, ever changing view.

My Dh would say the same except for the wine, he's more of a whiskey or beer man.  TA's are his happy place.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 6:39 PM, spunks said:

LOL, loved your post.  But I will add that some folks do seem to care what other's wear, and our reaction to them is "so what!"  There will always be some who mind everyone else's business and we do our best to keep our distance from those folks :).

Hank

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL, loved your post.  But I will add that some folks do seem to care what other's wear, and our reaction to them is "so what!"  There will always be some who mind everyone else's business and we do our best to keep our distance from those folks :).

Hank

I have to tell you Hank...I consider it a bonus if I manage to offend someone that decides to be the "Hall Monitor" when we are all on vacation......just sayin....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, spunks said:

I have to tell you Hank...I consider it a bonus if I manage to offend someone that decides to be the "Hall Monitor" when we are all on vacation......just sayin....

Oh, I am with you on this...  There seems to be a Hal Monitor on every cruise.

• Like 1