World Europa Rome Train

Timelinex

I will be arriving in Civitavecchia March 18th. We plan on taking the train to Rome and starting with going inside the Colosseum and Roman Forum.

I have several questions I hope you guys could help me with.

1. Arrival time is 7am. with self disembarkation (this isn't the end of our trip), what time can we expect to be at the train station? We will try to get off as soon as we can, but  I know they tier the disembarkation and release some sections before others.

2. I plan on getting BIRG tickets as I read those would be ideal considering we can go back and forth and also use the metro/bus if needed. My only concern is if there will be large lines to get those tickets since everyone is coming off the cruise. This is probably the main problem with getting those versus prebooking online. Is this actually a concern? If not, where exactly do I go to get the BIRG tickets.

3. The reason I need to get a good approximation of when we get off is I need to know the time to book the Colosseum. We can go to the Roman Forum first in case we get way too early and spend an hour there.... but way too early and we would be doing a lot of walking to other sights first just to back track, so that would be far from ideal.

Ideally I would buy tickets for 2 hours after getting on the train..... So I'm not sure if that's like 10am...or 12pm

Thanks!

On 3/9/2024 at 1:52 PM, Timelinex said:

1. Arrival time is 7am. with self disembarkation (this isn't the end of our trip), what time can we expect to be at the train station? We will try to get off as soon as we can, but  I know they tier the disembarkation and release some sections before others.

2. I plan on getting BIRG tickets as I read those would be ideal considering we can go back and forth and also use the metro/bus if needed. My only concern is if there will be large lines to get those tickets since everyone is coming off the cruise. This is probably the main problem with getting those versus prebooking online. Is this actually a concern? If not, where exactly do I go to get the BIRG tickets.

3. The reason I need to get a good approximation of when we get off is I need to know the time to book the Colosseum. We can go to the Roman Forum first in case we get way too early and spend an hour there.... but way too early and we would be doing a lot of walking to other sights first just to back track, so that would be far from ideal.

There is a port bus that takes you from the ship to just outside the port gate. From there it's about a 10 minute walk to the Civitavecchia train station. Last time I was there they had a couple ticket machines to buy the tickets to Rome Termini plus a ticket window. The train was absolutely packed; all seats taken and me, wife and son had to stand in one of the vestibules. Make sure you have your wallet in a front pocket and your hand on the wallet. A woman with a purse should keep it clutched tightly to her chest.

Posted (edited)

Was your information about "tiered" disembarkation from a reliable source ? If not, do check with your cruise line.

Usually ships allocate disembarkation times only at the disembarkation port, and at ports-of-call where they lie off-shore and tenders are needed to ferry passengers to the quay. I think all ships berth at the quay in Civitavecchia.

If you're sailing MSC or Costa they often have pax embarking or disembarking at several ports during a cruise but I don't know whether allocation of disembarkation times affect those who are mid-cruise.

Ship to rail station is more complicated than it was - it used to be a port shuttlebus to the gate by the small castle then a pleasant 15 - 20 minute seafront walk. But the port now uses a gate much further from the station, so most folk switch there from the port shuttle to a station shuttle. If you choose to walk, shops & stalls en-route sell BIRG tickets to Rome.

Or, if there's a line at the station ticket window, buy them from the newspaper stand in the station, same price..

Wherever & whenever you buy tickets they're not dated. so It's important to get them validated (stamped) on the platform before you board the train, or an inspector will charge you an excessive penalty. Our first time we though there would be validation machines on the train - there weren't, so we travelled in dread of an inspector wanting to see our tickets. Luckily there wasn't one 😌

For the Colosseum get off the train at Ostiense station and follow the blue metro signs to the adjacent Piramide metro station to take the blue metro line (end-station Rebibbia or Conca D'Oro) two stops to Colosseo. 

https://www.rome.info/transport/public-transport/metro/

Give yourselves plenty of time to get from ship to Colosseo, if you arrive early enough explore the Forum (entry is the same three-venue ticket as for the Colosseum), right by the Colosseum.

As you already know your metro ride is included in your BIRG ticket.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1