Kauai Mountain Tubing

DCwom

Has anyone done the Mountain tubing on Kauai? It sounds interesting and unique. I've read that its a 4WD trip to the ditch on unpaved "bumpy" roads. I tend to get motion sickness, so I'm a little concerned about the ride.

Also its looks pretty close to the pier, so I suspect an Uber would get you back & forth pretty easily.

31 minutes ago, DCwom said:

so I suspect an Uber would get you back & forth pretty easily

I love The Kauai Mountain Tubing, but the entire island of Kauai only has 70 Ubers to cover the whole place. Do not count on being able to use it. You would want to pre-arrange transportation.

5 hours ago, DCwom said:

Has anyone done the Mountain tubing on Kauai? It sounds interesting and unique. I've read that its a 4WD trip to the ditch on unpaved "bumpy" roads. I tend to get motion sickness, so I'm a little concerned about the ride.

It is up to what one considers fun. If you don't have claustrophobia, don't mind bouncing off the tunnel walls and off other guests in darn cold water, don't mind the darkness and length of the tunnels, etc., go for it.  Rather expensive for what it is though, but YMMV.  Do your homework well on this one!

22 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

It is up to what one considers fun. If you don't have claustrophobia, don't mind bouncing off the tunnel walls and off other guests in darn cold water, don't mind the darkness and length of the tunnels, etc., go for it.  Rather expensive for what it is though, but YMMV.  Do your homework well on this one!

I agree, valid points that one should consider, myself I hate just sitting on a beach, while others love it. Personally I find the the history & engineering of the ditch/tunnels interesting and unique to Kauai, we also did cave tubing on Belize in the Caribbean, which was pretty fun. There are a lot of pictures on the Kauaibackcountry website that might give a feel.

On 3/10/2024 at 10:11 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

darn cold water, don't mind the darkness and length of the tunnels, etc., go for it. 

This needs to be repeated. It's chilly (although you do get used to it) and personally I am a little claustrophobic and had a couple of the tunnels (mainly the bendy ones as opposed to the straight ones) that gave me pause. I'm glad I did it once but wouldn't necessarily do it again-- if you are more than moderately claustrophobic I would give it a thought. There is a spot to bail out along the route though. 

• 2 weeks later...

We did it earlier this month, and loved it.

If they had an offer to go back to the start and do it again for 1/2 price, I would have taken it.

The company does this every day, they are very efficient at moving you around. 

The truck moves slow over the dirt roads.  There are a few bumps along the way, taken slowly.

The old plantation is overgrown, and the guide gives you some history of it. You might see wild pigs/boars.

Yes the water is cool, they give you lights (on helmet) to turn on for the caves.  You move pretty fast at some points.  Yes you are pinballing around a bit, part of the fun.  Adults were acting like teenagers again enjoying it.  You go through 5 miles much faster than on a average canoe trip.

We had 2 day rental car, so can't say for taxi there.  Maybe start a roll call for that week?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve done this twice and other than the logistics of getting there and back, would happily do again. When I did it, it was a ship excursion so didn’t have to worry about transportation. I get motion sick and the ride up and down was a bit edgey for me, but I survived! Yes you ping off the walls and each other, but it’s a hoot. Like a good kids camp leader, the tour guide said, as we were getting in the water, no “F” words, ie, no saying it’s freezing! That just set the tone! No whining! I’ve done similar in Belize and there, some poor human walked through the waterway towing us tourists all tethered together. Much more lame. Kauai was fun!

• Like 1