NCL Joy Family Suite SP

The Joy does not have a "suite" restaurant so, the only perks I believe are priority embarkation/debarkation.

We are taking wife's adult nephew and the family suite worked out much better price wise than him getting his own room and paying double. We got 3rd person free and will have separate bedroom and bathroom.

We stayed in a family suite. We got fruit one night and cookies two times. The priority embarkation and disembarkation wasn’t a big deal. We just really loved the two bedrooms, two bathrooms and big living room. The virtual balcony was nice especially since it was on the cold side several days at sea. But we really missed the fresh air of our regular balcony. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 7:53 PM, johnrich said:

We stayed in a family suite. We got fruit one night and cookies two times. The priority embarkation and disembarkation wasn’t a big deal. We just really loved the two bedrooms, two bathrooms and big living room. The virtual balcony was nice especially since it was on the cold side several days at sea. But we really missed the fresh air of our regular balcony. 

John:  Were you on the Joy?  I'm hoping this will still happen even though we don't have a butler.
-----------------

We booked the SP category this afternoon for a September Canada/NE cruise.  The butler is not included in the Joy, although I think we are paying the same gratuities (or maybe the butler doesn't get a cut of that).  I used the chat function w/NCL afterwards to find out exactly what came w/it, and this is what she said:  concierge services, priority access on and off the ship, room service, over size bath towels, plush bath robes; concierge  services will include priority services on and off ship, beauty salon appointments, cocktail appointments, restaurant reservations on board, and private art showings and shore excursions booking.

She clarified that there is still a charge for room service, so I don't know what she was referring to as all rooms have room service.  If someone can confirm or deny, that'd be great as I had to correct her on some of the other info she provided, mostly about what my butler could do for us, then to find out no butler.

I would book it more for the size of the room and what's in the room rather than "services." I'm looking forward to not having one of us stand aside while the other one walks by. 

25 minutes ago, boltnut55 said:

John:  Were you on the Joy?  I'm hoping this will still happen even though we don't have a butler.
-----------------

We booked the SP category this afternoon for a September Canada/NE cruise.  The butler is not included in the Joy, although I think we are paying the same gratuities (or maybe the butler doesn't get a cut of that).  I used the chat function w/NCL afterwards to find out exactly what came w/it, and this is what she said:  concierge services, priority access on and off the ship, room service, over size bath towels, plush bath robes; concierge  services will include priority services on and off ship, beauty salon appointments, cocktail appointments, restaurant reservations on board, and private art showings and shore excursions booking.

She clarified that there is still a charge for room service, so I don't know what she was referring to as all rooms have room service.  If someone can confirm or deny, that'd be great as I had to correct her on some of the other info she provided, mostly about what my butler could do for us, then to find out no butler.

I would book it more for the size of the room and what's in the room rather than "services." I'm looking forward to not having one of us stand aside while the other one walks by. 

Yes, we were on the Joy. We did have access to the concierge before the cruise as well as during the cruise. We used the pre-cruise concierge number to make all our dinner and show reservations. There was a letter in our stateroom when we arrived from the onboard concierge that if we needed anything to let him know but since we already made our reservations beforehand we never even saw or even called the onboard concierge.

When we were at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, they did have a priority line for us to be in, however there was no one manning any of the check-in stations near our line so check-in really wasn’t priority. 

We did NOT have bathrobes in our rooms but did have the upgraded toiletries in the bathrooms. 

8 hours ago, johnrich said:

Yes, we were on the Joy. We did have access to the concierge before the cruise as well as during the cruise. We used the pre-cruise concierge number to make all our dinner and show reservations. There was a letter in our stateroom when we arrived from the onboard concierge that if we needed anything to let him know but since we already made our reservations beforehand we never even saw or even called the onboard concierge.

When we were at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, they did have a priority line for us to be in, however there was no one manning any of the check-in stations near our line so check-in really wasn’t priority. 

We did NOT have bathrobes in our rooms but did have the upgraded toiletries in the bathrooms. 

Thank you for sharing.  I mean we can get our own cookies and fruit, but it's still a nice touch.  Oh calling someone to get all the reservations would help.  Last time I spent a lot of time online clicking for show and restaurant reservations.

I forgot to ask... did you get any free room service delivery?  Someone (maybe on a different post) mentioned getting 2 free room service delivery.  Thanks again.

We are in a family suite JOY with virtual balcony in 60 days from now.

5/26-6/2/24 Bermuda RT NYC

yes you have access to concierge if you need it. The room I hear is enormous and a 2nd bedroom and bathroom will help our family of 4 quite nicely.

i will write a review of our trip upon our return. I am a very detailed writer with a slight slant towards the sarcastic/ funny side.(search some of my posts lol) 
I can promise you will be amused at our family’s take on this upcoming trip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

Thank you for sharing.  I mean we can get our own cookies and fruit, but it's still a nice touch.  Oh calling someone to get all the reservations would help.  Last time I spent a lot of time online clicking for show and restaurant reservations.

I forgot to ask... did you get any free room service delivery?  Someone (maybe on a different post) mentioned getting 2 free room service delivery.  Thanks again.

We got cookies twice during the week. We got free breakfast room service (full meals as opposed to the continental) but had to pay if we wanted lunch or dinner. 

1 hour ago, expectthebest said:

We are in a family suite JOY with virtual balcony in 60 days from now.

5/26-6/2/24 Bermuda RT NYC

yes you have access to concierge if you need it. The room I hear is enormous and a 2nd bedroom and bathroom will help our family of 4 quite nicely.

i will write a review of our trip upon our return. I am a very detailed writer with a slight slant towards the sarcastic/ funny side.(search some of my posts lol) 
I can promise you will be amused at our family’s take on this upcoming trip

I'm smiling already; looking forward to reading about your trip even though different itinerary.  I don't know if you've already seen or not, but Youtube has several videos on these rooms and specifically on the room I booked, 15501.

28 minutes ago, kalypso333 said:

Why is the Joy suite experience different than all other ships?

My theory....

Joy's history of going from the Asian Market to the $50M refresh for the North American market had some side effects. First, it was the Concierge Suites (no Haven access) and the Haven Suites trying to co-exist. Then, some of the Concierge Suites were turned into Haven Suites which gave Joy 118 Haven suites and some leftover regular/non-Haven suites. At the time, 118 was the most Haven suites on any NCL ship even though Joy's Haven area was no bigger than Bliss' or Encore's. Those leftover suites suffer because so much manpower is dedicated to the Haven suites. NCL can't give those suites Haven access because Joy already has so many Haven suites and NCL can't make those suites into standard/regular staterooms because they are too nice. Joy's suites are caught in the middle.