Danube/Vishofen Port - Transport Options

Hoolia75

Hello! First time cruiser here.

Summer trip with teen children (part of a larger group that heads home after the cruise).

I'm looking for advice as we end our cruise in Vilshofen. We'd like to travel a bit locally with a flexible destination - Alps maybe? -  but I'm not sure where the best place to get a rental car or get a good central train hub might be?  So we eat breakfast and get off the boat.... I know there are cruise transport busses to the Munich AIRPORT, but what do people do that don't want to go to the airport?  Will taxis be waiting there when the boat disembarks? Also 5 ppl with luggage might need 2 taxis?

I'd appreciate any brainstorms.  Thanks!

Depends a bit on the direction youre interested in. If indeed Alps, then the train would be a viable option to get to Munich and further on to Garmisch/Füssen/Berchtesgaden/Oberstdorf - your choice. Train is quite cheap with a "Bavaria-Ticket", unlimited travel on local trains one day for 69 Euro/5 riders, which would bring you to Munich within two hours and to the the alps in four/five hours (exact tariff depends on, how many kids there are and their age). Train station in Vilshofen is about 1km away from the pier, which is walkable depending on luggage, weather ... Taxis should be available too, ask the reception onboard to call a "Grossraumtaxi" (this is a van taking 5+ ppl plus luggage).

Transfer to the airport may be an alternative, as there are travel options from there, both train or car rentals (there is no car rental in Vilshofen). Transfers can be quite pricey though.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruisecritic. I was also going to suggest a "Grossraumtaxi" for your group. Many train options indeed and Munich is a great city to explore. If you rent a car and would like to explore smaller places then the villages of the Bavarian Forest are nice. But the Alpine region is more spectacular. If you have any questions about Vilshofen you can also contact the tourist-information centre: https://www.vilshofen.de/index.php/kontakt-tourismus-information

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid