I'm curious ~ In the spa, do you tend to add an additional tip on top of the 18% Princess automatically adds?

Anniken14

Obviously, it's up to each individual to decide to add an additional tip, either in cash or on the receipt. No need for me to even mention my preference. But I wonder - Do you think most pax tip on top of the 18% added to every service?

Guest Snaxmuppet

I assume you mean for services such as massage etc... no, we add nothing extra unless it warrants it and that hasn't happened yet. 

If I’m paying a discounted rate or have a gift certificate, I always add to the gratuity to at least bring it back to the gratuity on the normal price

• Like 3

When I go for a massage or a salon while at home, I tip between 18% to 25%, depending on how well they listen to me and not try to sell me their products.  Since the spa services onboard are already high in cost, the 18% tip that is already mandatory is plenty as far as I am concerned.  I never tip above that amount.  

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

When I go for a massage or a salon while at home, I tip between 18% to 25%, depending on how well they listen to me and not try to sell me their products.  Since the spa services onboard are already high in cost, the 18% tip that is already mandatory is plenty as far as I am concerned.  I never tip above that amount.  

Completely agree. Princess spa prices are quite high compared to what you would pay for similar services on land, even at many resorts. The 18 % is definitely adequate and I would feel no need to tip additional. I am actually glad they made it a mandatory included charge, because it removes that extra step of me having to sit there and figure it out.

• Like 2

We planned to tip $10 to each therapist after our couples massage on top of the 18% auto gratuity, but after they started pushing products, we didn't since we made it clear upfront that we wouldn't be interested.

• Like 2

I like the idea of $10, unless the guy/gal aggressively hustles products after I politely say "Thanks, but not interested in anything other than the service I'm here for". $10 is what it needs to be - simply a small gesture on top of the mandatory tip.

Thanks to all who chimed in. You really helped me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Completely agree. Princess spa prices are quite high compared to what you would pay for similar services on land, even at many resorts. The 18 % is definitely adequate and I would feel no need to tip additional. I am actually glad they made it a mandatory included charge, because it removes that extra step of me having to sit there and figure it out.

Right!  I was looking at the recent prices and with my discount for booking ahead, the tip is still $36 for a 50 massage.  I get it but that’s decent money without the extra tip.  
At home, I am likely give them a $20 - $25 tip for 60 minutes and they are overjoyed.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Right!  I was looking at the recent prices and with my discount for booking ahead, the tip is still $36 for a 50 massage.  I get it but that’s decent money without the extra tip.  
At home, I am likely give them a $20 - $25 tip for 60 minutes and they are overjoyed.  

If you ever happen to find yourself in Cabo San Lucas on one of your cruises, check out the Sand Bar on Medano Beach. Some of the best massages I have ever had and it is $36 for a 60 minute massage! I always tip $20 and they are so thankful. It's well earned - such an incredible deal for a wonderful massage with the sound of the waves in the background and the nicest ladies providing the service!

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

If you ever happen to find yourself in Cabo San Lucas on one of your cruises, check out the Sand Bar on Medano Beach. Some of the best massages I have ever had and it is $36 for a 60 minute massage! I always tip $20 and they are so thankful. It's well earned - such an incredible deal for a wonderful massage with the sound of the waves in the background and the nicest ladies providing the service!

So good to know!  Thank you so much 

Something that is completely missed in all comments I have read above is whether the quality of the massage/treatment warrants additional tip...! I have had mediocre massages on Princess and have also had fantastic massages.  I believe the tip amount should NOT be automatic and should be based according to what you receive.

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, Palo4911 said:

Something that is completely missed in all comments I have read above is whether the quality of the massage/treatment warrants additional tip...! I have had mediocre massages on Princess and have also had fantastic massages.  I believe the tip amount should NOT be automatic and should be based according to what you receive.

For me... at those price, anything less than excellent and I would feel cheated so for me even an excellent treatment wouldn't warrant a tip IMO.

I find it interesting what people consider a high price. A 50-minute deep tissue massage (my favorite) is $189 on the Coral Princess and at my favorite local spa, it's $190. So they are the same. I've paid more at fancy hotels, too.

I live in a high COL area so these prices seem reasonable to me. 🤷‍♀️ 

To answer the original question, I doubt I will tip giving that 18% is baked in. The massuese would have to be pretty damn good for me to add on to that.

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I find it interesting what people consider a high price. A 50-minute deep tissue massage (my favorite) is $189 on the Coral Princess and at my favorite local spa, it's $190. So they are the same. I've paid more at fancy hotels, too.

To answer the original question, I doubt I will tip giving that 18% is baked in. The massuese would have to be pretty damn good for me to add on to that.

In the UK...

A 45min deep tissue or sports massage by an excellent masseur (IMO) - £60 ($80)

That is why it is so expensive for us.

7 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I used to work where you live and would head over to the Perfect Day Spa after work every six weeks.  They are no longer open but it was $35 for a full hour back then. (Maybe that’s why they are not open anymore)  I know I can still find an hour massage for under $100 in the area and when I go on a cruise, I can find much better prices in port when down in Mexico.  

• Like 3

I live in a touristy area that has great resorts with wonderful spas (Lake Geneva, WI).  Our favorite local spa charges $130 (plus tip)  for a 50 minute relaxation massage.  We always book couples massages, so that would be $307 for the 2 of us if you factor in an 18% tip like Princess does (we usually tip 20%). On our last cruise on the Caribbean (July 2023) we paid $209 for a couples massage on embarkation day, and on our next cruise on the Sun (Feb 2025), we already booked a couples massage for $223 for an 8:00 am appointment on one of the port days.  So for us, it's a discount!

• Like 1

In my area $80 is the going rate for a 60 minute massage. I find the rates at resorts and on cruise ships not worth it. The massages are rarely as good as, much less better than, what I get at home. 

I switched from massages being an occasional treat while I am on vacation years ago. I get 90 minute deep tissue massages every four weeks at home and get much more benefit.  

• Like 4

On 3/12/2024 at 4:10 AM, MacMadame said:

On 3/12/2024 at 4:10 AM, MacMadame said:

Shocked at the price you pay.  At my local, it is £50 ($60) for a one hour massage. And this why we never book spa treatments any more on cruise ships. We find their prices outrageous enough without adding an additional 18%.  Feel quite sorry for the staff in the spa on the UK sailings, they are always standing around not working. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:38 AM, MacMadame said:

This is why I have to move out of California. 🤣

But, but .. the weather!  Can’t beat that, especially the last few days!  And isn’t it so nice to live this close to a cruise ship embarkation port.  Those are both important factors in why we choose to pay the big bucks to live here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

But, but .. the weather!  Can’t beat that, especially the last few days!  And isn’t it so nice to live this close to a cruise ship embarkation port.  Those are both important factors in why we choose to pay the big bucks to live here.  

I love CA. But at some point I anticipate not being able to afford to live here.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

I love CA. But at some point I anticipate not being able to afford to live here.

I so understand that!  At least we have prop 13 and no state taxes on social security.  If those go away, so do we.  😞 

• Like 2