Should Celebrity Ban Smoking on its Ships for Safety?

Sky Sweet

Actually your response is not typical! You appear to be conscious of others which a lot if not most smokers are not! From what I have read here and experienced in some places all the smokers care about is getting their fix for that moment! If this is truly you and how you are, you are one of the few! :p

Well, it's hard NOT to be conscious of others if they make the effort to nicely ask you to compromise with them... If they ask nicely and you are not willing to make ANY effort to appease them, then you are just a jerk! It doesn't matter whether it's about smoking or any other issue...

I just get frustrated because people all have their issues, but in today's climate, it's considered okay to gang up on smokers in a way it's not okay with other issues.

My issue, for example, is animal rights. I am a vegetarian, and I don't believe in raising animals in inhumane conditions only to slaughter them for food. I find this factory farming every bit as disgusting, immoral, and unhealthy (to ALL whether they eat meat or not due to the hormones and the pesticides involved in meat farming) as some of you find smoking. And that's not even mentioning the widespread hunger, poverty and ecological devastation wrought by a diet of meat. And I don't think that smoking has anywhere NEAR the body count that the meat industry has! The human death toll is probably comparable (once you factor in heart disease, high cholesterol, colon cancer, and myriad other ailments caused by a meat diet), and the animal death toll is staggering...

However, if I started talking about banning meat on cruise ships you'd think I was CRAZY. If I rolled my eyes when somebody was served meat onboard, and I complained about how inconsiderate the carnivores are for eating meat in front of me, I'd probably be kicked off the ship. I don't do any of that. I do my thing and allow others to do theirs whether I agree with it or not. Most of the time (on CC, until this very moment), I simply keep my mouth shut and my opinions to myself.

I apologize for making this political, but I just want to show people that as passionately as they feel against smokers, there are things they probably do that others are equally passionate against... We all have to live and cruise together, though. It's up to us whether we try to fight or get along...

Well, it's hard NOT to be conscious of others if they make the effort to nicely ask you to compromise with them... If they ask nicely and you are not willing to make ANY effort to appease them, then you are just a jerk! It doesn't matter whether it's about smoking or any other issue...

I just get frustrated because people all have their issues, but in today's climate, it's considered okay to gang up on smokers in a way it's not okay with other issues.

My issue, for example, is animal rights. I am a vegetarian, and I don't believe in raising animals in inhumane conditions only to slaughter them for food. I find this factory farming every bit as disgusting, immoral, and unhealthy (to ALL whether they eat meat or not due to the hormones and the pesticides involved in meat farming) as some of you find smoking. And that's not even mentioning the widespread hunger, poverty and ecological devastation wrought by a diet of meat. And I don't think that smoking has anywhere NEAR the body count that the meat industry has! The human death toll is probably comparable (once you factor in heart disease, high cholesterol, colon cancer, and myriad other ailments caused by a meat diet), and the animal death toll is staggering...

However, if I started talking about banning meat on cruise ships you'd think I was CRAZY. If I rolled my eyes when somebody was served meat onboard, and I complained about how inconsiderate the carnivores are for eating meat in front of me, I'd probably be kicked off the ship. I don't do any of that. I do my thing and allow others to do theirs whether I agree with it or not. Most of the time (on CC, until this very moment), I simply keep my mouth shut and my opinions to myself.

I apologize for making this political, but I just want to show people that as passionately as they feel against smokers, there are things they probably do that others are equally passionate against... We all have to live and cruise together, though. It's up to us whether we try to fight or get along...

Drew B,

There is nothing wrong with being passionate about something. I have many of friends that come from different paths of life, who believe in many different things and do not agree on many different issues. Thats life and diversity! However, it does need to be heard if something someone is doing is harming and dangering the life of another! We all have a right to live a healthy life style and if someone is doing something that will harm my family, loved ones or myself in any way then I think I have the right to make a comment and try to put a stop to it! As far as eating and not eating something or whatever it may be I have no problem with anything as long as it is not hurting my family or my loved ones physically. What someone wears or does not wear I could careless, what someone eats or does not eat that is their choice and my choice. I can over look annoying people, what others do, or say as long as it does not get out of hand. :p

Actually your response is not typical! You appear to be conscious of others which a lot if not most smokers are not! From what I have read here and experienced in some places all the smokers care about is getting their fix for that moment! If this is truly you and how you are, you are one of the few! :p

No one complains about the dog that doesn't bark. There are still, for better or worse, more smokers out there than many realize and most of us are more conscientious than we are given credit for. I, and most of the smokers I know, try to conduct myself very much like Drew described. I don't even wait for someone to ask me nicely. If my neighbors are about on their balcony I just plain don't smoke as I'm fully aware how rude and obtrusive it can be and don't think they should even be forced to confront me about it. I'm sorry that not everyone behaves this way, but to suggest banning all of us because of a few bad apples isn't fair.

My cruising gripe is that I can't go anywhere near the pool deck during daylight hours as I have too weak of a stomach to handle what I'm forced to see there. I’d like to see a few things banned myself! :p

For the record, I'm in the cattle business :rolleyes: but I'm sure Drew and I can get along on a cruise just fine. It's just a matter of being considerate and respectful. Everyone should leave their agendas at home.

For the record, I'm in the cattle business :rolleyes: but I'm sure Drew and I can get along on a cruise just fine. It's just a matter of being considerate and respectful. Everyone should leave their agendas at home.

That's exactly why I tend to keep my beliefs to myself! I can be... controversial. Don't get me started on religion! :p Thanks for being a good sport and not taking offense, Max.

On our cruise they made quite a few announcements over PA and TV on embarkation day worning about throwing butts over the railing, about keeping your balcony door open (butt might be sucked in) and about leaving cloth items on the veranda. Still we found cigarette butts on our veranda twice during the cruise.

Some people are just so stupid.

That's exactly why I tend to keep my beliefs to myself! I can be... controversial. Don't get me started on religion! :p Thanks for being a good sport and not taking offense, Max.

I'm wagering from your tone that you and I are on the exact same page regarding the religion thing :p . Just proof that any two people can find common ground if they're willing to look at each other civilly, respectfully, and with an open mind.

Lsimon, I'm sorry you found butts on your balcony. You can rest assured that none of them were mine and never will be. Those responsible for that are examples of the minority that, understandably, give the rest of us who enjoy a nice smoke a bad name. Just like the rabid, always attacking, anti-smokers who, in the end, probably cause more harm than good to those non-smokers who just politely and understandably want to be unencumbered with other people's smoke in the air. I think those that act that way really just fuel the "us verses them" fire more than come up with ways to create a happy co-existence.

I firmly believe that more civilized discussion, respect and understanding from all sides will do more the alleviate this problem than any "rules" imposed by a cruise line. We're all really just there for the ocean and the food aren't we?

Archived