Should Celebrity Ban Smoking on its Ships for Safety?

Sky Sweet

I would switch ALL of my business to ANY cruise line that banned smoking. Delaware is one of the states that has banned smoking in all public places including restaraunts and bars. It is so refreshing to be able to have dinner and not be assaulted by the foul smell coming from the smoking section.

A cruise ship is a confined area and smoking anywhere is offensive in addition to being dangerous. Look around on your next cruise, you'd be surprised how many burn marks you can find on carpets, bedspreads, furniture and bathroom countertops.

It's time to put a stop to this filthy habit.

CaptainG

I like SeaDream for just this reason. There is no smoking in staterooms, dining rooms or inside public rooms at all. You can smoke outside on the fantail area. Smoking is very hard on a ship - they have to replace soft goods twice as often in smoking rooms than in non smoking rooms.

Smoking should be banned on all ships in inside enclosed areas.

While I do not enjoy breathing your smoke, what about those who have allergies? We have had to change cabins due to a smoker polluting the cabin before us. I can't imagine what would have happened if another cabin were not available on that cruise. It was a rather critical situation for my health. No matter what you say about drinking, I have yet to hear about someone having an allergic reaction to another passengers alcoholic habit. Whether the fire was caused by a cigarette has yet to be determined, your smoking in the privacy of your cabin CAN have a negative impact on other passengers...trust me.

We vote for the ban.

Banning smoking on cruise ships will not work either.

If anything, it could make it more dangerous. Folks that comply will tend to be more aggressive.

Then you will have folks that take the "smoke in the boys room" path reminscent of the days in high school.

Sure since the ship is a smoke free zone the ionization detectors in the cabin will have normal sensitivity and can be triggered by casual smoking and people would be busted. What SOP will be implemented to deal with violators?

What's to stop someone from "bubble gumming" the detector? It's a federal offense in an aircraft lavatory to do this...what about a ship? Now if someone removes the detector the annunicator will give a trouble for that address and you can be you will be visited by an officer. :eek:

It's a touchy subject. I operate a research ship and there's a no smoking policy in effect everywhere except two specific areas. We allowed smoking in the theater but have been informed by the manufacturer of the projector that the smoke particles are bad for the mirrors so it's not allowed any more. We also use instantaneous fire detectors that will INSTANTLY (30 ms) respond to a flame of ANY kind.

Anyways, carry on! :)

Cheers,

Norman

"A smoldering cigarette is suspected as the cause of the blaze, said Horace Peterkin, president of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, who toured the ship after it docked here."

Clearly an expert on the subject? Please. Just because you read it in a newspaper, doesn't make it true. He probably was just repeating yet another rumor.

I believe it will be quite a while before the real experts have a difinitive answer.

If you are going to quote something make sure you post the whole quote, not just the past that suits you.

here is the whole quote:

"Horace Peterkin, president of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, told the Associated Press that a cigarette may have started the fire.

But Milton Jones, a small-business owner from Austin, Texas, said his son -- who was on the Star Princess when the fire broke out -- heard from a crew member that it had been set off by a teen angry with his father."

"A smoldering cigarette is suspected as the cause of the blaze, said Horace Peterkin, president of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, who toured the ship after it docked here."

If you are going to quote something make sure you post the whole quote, not just the past that suits you.

here is the whole quote:

"Horace Peterkin, president of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, told the Associated Press that a cigarette may have started the fire.

But Milton Jones, a small-business owner from Austin, Texas, said his son -- who was on the Star Princess when the fire broke out -- heard from a crew member that it had been set off by a teen angry with his father."

Thank you for posting the quote from Milton Jones which was not included in the article that I had read.

I don't know what ships you were on, but we have had balconies on many cruises and never had problems with drifting smoke. NMNita

Smokers don't notice the drifting smoke coming from other balconies...

On every cruise that we have been on, we notice drifting smoke from other balconies and it very much reduces our enjoyment of the balcony.

Three things to need to exist for a fire to take place. Oxygen, an ignition source, and an accelerant. The cigarette was merely the source of ignition. The intensity of the fire would be determined by its accelerant, which is not known at this point in time. However, I cited hard liquor, greater than 40 proof, as a possibility in my previous post. Wine or beer would not have sufficient alcohol to spread a fire that quickly.

I just realized that I used the term accelerant when I meant to say fuel source.

Like PatrickIL, I am also a former smoker who is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke. What the Princess fire has done and that's given a wake up call to all cruiselines about the hazards of smoking on board ships. And it might turn into a new SOLAS regulation. If it is determined that it was a cigarette that initially caused the fire, all ships with balconies will have the smokers on a tighter rein, either by banning it or by putting ashtrays that have some sort of protective cover over them to ensure that butts or ashes don't blow onto the balcony.

I don't think that banning smoking on all ships is the immediate answer, but I do feel that smokers should be more considerate of us non-smokers.

Anita

I'll just do a hit and run on this, but rather than worry about the first major fire that may (or may not) have been caused by a cigarette...I'd be FAR more concerned about why the fire suppression systems did not limit the damage on this ship. They could ban smoking, but they still can't ban fires...they happen in laundry rooms, they happen in kitchens, they can happen thru bad wiring or curling irons or any number of reasons. And I'd submit that had the Star Princess fire been caused by ANY of those, damage would have been just as extensive because it's fairly obvious that the fire suppression systems did not do the job they were supposed to do. Especially if the fire got hot enough to melt door locks. So I think rather than seeing a new SOLAS regulation banning smoking, I'd imagine you see a stricter regulation insuring that fire suppression systems have adequate pressure to actually suppress the fire.

I occasionally smoke, but I’ve never burst into flames, there may be more to this story!

Spontaneous Human Combustion...now that's something to discuss all on its own.

Those cases are just strange, rarely does the victim survive and rarely does the fire spread to surrounding areas but produces enough heat to reduce the corpse down to ashes. (cue twilight zone music please)

Oh and for accelerants, let us not forget a hand sanitizer refill. Those will burn with practically an invisible and searing hot flame! Most are > 60% ethanol (CAS 64-17-5).

Cheers,

Norman

I would switch ALL of my business to ANY cruise line that banned smoking. Delaware is one of the states that has banned smoking in all public places including restaraunts and bars. It is so refreshing to be able to have dinner and not be assaulted by the foul smell coming from the smoking section.

A cruise ship is a confined area and smoking anywhere is offensive..."

CaptainG

As a former smoker, I weigh in on the side of banning smoking in the cabins and on the balconies, and allowing those who wish to smoke (and I'm amazed that people still smoke) designated areas in which to do so. It took the patch, a hypnosis tape and every ounce of willpower I had to quit (14 years ago) - I do sympathize and appreciate how serious an addiction it is. It's interesting that people say they "choose" to smoke - it's like a junkie saying "I choose to shoot heroin". Have you read some of the many comments made by smokers in this thread about how angry and uncomfortable they get when they're not allowed to smoke? That's withdrawal.

On my last cruise I brought a small can of Lysol with me, kept it out on the balcony and sprayed it around MY balcony every time the people in the next cabin decided to smoke on THEIR balcony (if they can smoke, I can spray air freshener) - they were a little confused and probably a little annoyed (but why should I be the only one who's annoyed?!); I've had to switch cabins and hotel rooms in the past as a result of the smoke stink left in all the fabrics, as well as all the nicotine buildup on the walls, etc. Don't tell me it's not there - when I quit smoking I had to have the furniture cleaned, wash all the curtains, buy a new carpet and wash down the walls - disgusting sticky brown residue on everything. I'm sure that when a room steward cleans a cabin, they don't have the time to wash down the walls or shampoo the carpeting.

I don't remember the name of the poster, but someone in this thread said "Smokers are a dying breed." Very clever!

When I first heard of the fire, I figured the heart attack victim was the one with the cigarette that started the fire.

I am cruiser that books inside cabins 90% of the time. My question: Do balconies have sprinklers on them?

Thanks, Deb

Clearly an expert on the subject? Please. Just because you read it in a newspaper, doesn't make it true. He probably was just repeating yet another rumor.

I believe it will be quite a while before the real experts have a difinitive answer.

Don't you know everything that you read is true? Of course I agree with you. Quite possibly it started with a careless smoker though it obviously was more than that, my point and yours as well is: suspected. How anyone could see a ship, after the fire and make a statement like that is beyond me. I would guess is will be weeks if not months before we know for certain what stated the blaze, if we ever really know. NMNita

Smokers don't notice the drifting smoke coming from other balconies...

On every cruise that we have been on, we notice drifting smoke from other balconies and it very much reduces our enjoyment of the balcony.

Well there are two issues here: 1-I can't stand the smell of smoke in a closed in area and 2-the last 3 cruises I have taken with balconies I was a non smoker. I quit for 3 years and just went back to smoking a pack a week (big smoker you understand) about 6 months ago. Please don't ask why cause I have no answer, but I was not smoking last time I had a balcony cabin. I did used to smoke on balconies in hotels. NMnita

I used to smoke and I could never figure out why it bothered people who didn't smoke -- until I quit. Now I realize what an a$$ I was about my bad habit, and how rude it was of me to light up a cigarette in lieu of dessert forcing my dining companions to eat my smoke with their dessert.

I think cigarettes should be banned everywhere except in the privacy of your own home or your car.

Buy a patch!

Jenna

While I do not enjoy breathing your smoke, what about those who have allergies? We have had to change cabins due to a smoker polluting the cabin before us. I can't imagine what would have happened if another cabin were not available on that cruise. It was a rather critical situation for my health. No matter what you say about drinking, I have yet to hear about someone having an allergic reaction to another passengers alcoholic habit. Whether the fire was caused by a cigarette has yet to be determined, your smoking in the privacy of your cabin CAN have a negative impact on other passengers...trust me.

We vote for the ban.

Tobacco smoke is not an allergen, it is an irritant.

On my last cruise I brought a small can of Lysol with me, kept it out on the balcony and sprayed it around MY balcony every time the people in the next cabin decided to smoke on THEIR balcony (if they can smoke, I can spray air freshener) - they were a little confused and probably a little annoyed (but why should I be the only one who's annoyed?!)

That is an AWESOME idea and, if you don't mind, I'm going to steal it!!! I can't stand it when I go out on my balcony and have to breath the smoke from another's! When they smell the lysol, perhaps they'll actually understand that I can smell their horrible, disgusting smoke!!

hate to disillusion sky sweet but for alchohol to act as fuel it would have to be approaching grain level not "greater than 40 proof". As an example light a shot of 80 proof liquor (twice what your suggesting) with a match or lighter (Not a lit cigarette). See how difficult it is to light...with a flame...with no wind...see the blue flame...a "cool" flame. I know many of you want it to be a cigarette, and it may turn out to be, but as for me, I'll wait and see. (btw I am a non-smoker)

That is an AWESOME idea and, if you don't mind, I'm going to steal it!!! I can't stand it when I go out on my balcony and have to breath the smoke from another's! When they smell the lysol, perhaps they'll actually understand that I can smell their horrible, disgusting smoke!!

Based upon your thoughts on this matter, I should be allowed to take this a little further. I love the sounds of love making as long as it is mine or my wife's. Based upon your thoughts on smoking, I should be allowed to bring a whistle or some loud noise producing device to my cabin. When the couple next door are going hot and heavy and making noises in their cabin or on their balcony and I cannot sleep or read or whatever, it is perfectly ok for me to call their cabin and use the loud noise producing device into the phone? ;)

Based upon your thoughts on this matter, I should be allowed to take this a little further. I love the sounds of love making as long as it is mine or my wife's. Based upon your thoughts on smoking, I should be allowed to bring a whistle or some loud noise producing device to my cabin. When the couple next door are going hot and heavy and making noises in their cabin or on their balcony and I cannot sleep or read or whatever, it is perfectly ok for me to call their cabin and use the loud noise producing device into the phone? ;)

That sounds perfectly reasonable. Or you could just knock on the door (or wall) and let them know that their noise level is unreasonable. Other guests have no right to impose on your enjoyment of your stateroom.

I think you'll see it eventually, but not for years yet. If you look at the trends in the European Countries (and the more enlighted States) you find them banning smoking in more and more places.

It'll take longer for the mass market lines than for the ultra luxury lines, I think. Philadelphia is toying with the idea of smoke free workplaces including restaurants and bars so they've been doing a lot of research into the issue. According to what they've disclosed, among the baby boomers, smoking decreases dramatically as education levels and income levels increase. That demographic, combined with the fact that most large groups are more likely to book mass market than luxury, will probably allow the luxury lines to move more quickly. If you look at Oceania, their President has just announced a "zero tolerance policy" toward smoking in non-smoking areas.

Mass market lines will take a lot longer. They make a lot of money on group cruises where you may have a number of smokers. Plus, the income / education level demographic is different.

They'll get there eventually, I'm sure.

Archived