Water taxi to Caye Caulker

Krozulo

We're considering going to Caye Caulker when we're in Belize in February. We're in port from 8am to 6pm, and it being a tender port I don't know when we'll get to shore. The water taxi schedule says it leaves at 8am, 9am, and 10:30am so I figure we'd catch the 9am or worst case, 10:30. If we don't dawdle and get in line right away to tender off the ship, what time can we realistically expect to be on shore?

Coming back we'd be looking at 1:30 pm, 3:30 pm, but not the 5:00 pm taxi. That'd be cutting it too close.

How full do the water taxis get, especially coming back? Is the 3:30 taxi back a safe bet? Or should we be looking at the 1:30? 

Our plans while in Caye Caulker are to walk toward The Split, eat some eats, drink some drinks, and shop for some souvenirs. If we catch the 10:30 taxi there and 1:30 back, is 2 hours enough time in Caye Caulker?

fwiw there are two other cruise ships scheduled to be there on the same day.

The other thing I was thinking about was a tour with Coral Breeze - the cheaper tour without the snorkeling. 

Posted (edited)

To be on the safe side I would go for 1:30. You may be ok with 3:30 but its 45 min to get back to Belize city. I have looked at doing what you are doing when I cruise to belize and just don't know if there is enough time to really enjoy Caye Caulker. Lobster season ends in february but if you are there before the season closes (you said you would be there in Feb but not sure if you are there late or early Feb) there are usually people with BBQ grills randomly spaced and you can get a delicious lobster lunch grilled fresh with beans/coleslaw for a reasonable price, you just have to walk a little bit down from the split. 

Its a lovely little island although has gotten really popular- We have rented a place there a few times for a week at a time. Only a 10 min flight from belize city.

Edited by Prometheus1
addendum

We'll be on the Regal Princess out of Galveston. Departing Feb 9 for an 8 day cruise. The first port is Belize on Feb 12. If I remember correctly from my first (and only) cruise to Hawaii, Princess changes the ship time to match the local time.

Grilled lobster is one of the eats we're most looking forward to. But if we miss it for whatever reason, I have no doubt we'll find something delicious to eat.

Posted (edited)

You might just make it for Lobster season, presuming the dates  for lobster season are similar in 2025. Conch fritters, Belizean stewed chicken, and if you want something simple and delicious- Fry Jacks with refried beans, delicious! Love the Caribbean lobster tails (very different than cold water tails)

Bring cash, most of the BBQ vendors don't take credit cards, the regular restaurants do (most of them). While there are belizean (BZE) dollars, US currency is also accepted

I'm excited for you! Yes they should match local time but double check

Edited by Prometheus1
addendum

It sounds like an exciting trip you're planning! Getting off a tender port can sometimes be a bit unpredictable, but aiming to be among the first in line to tender off the ship is a good strategy. Assuming everything goes smoothly, and depending on how quickly the tender process is managed by your cruise line, you could realistically be on shore by around 8:30am if you catch the first tender, or 9:30-10am if it takes a bit longer. So, targeting the 9am water taxi might be a bit optimistic, but the 10:30am should be very doable.

Given that there are two other cruise ships in port that day, the water taxis, especially the ones heading back, might get quite full. It's wise to consider the 3:30 pm taxi back to be on the safer side, but also be prepared for it to be crowded. If you prefer a less rushed and potentially less crowded experience, aiming for the 1:30 pm return could give you more peace of mind, though it does shorten your time on Caye Caulker.

With the 10:30am taxi to Caye Caulker and planning to return by the 1:30pm taxi, you're looking at around 2 hours on the island. This is a relatively short time to experience everything Caye Caulker has to offer, especially if you want to explore, eat, drink, and shop at a relaxed pace. Caye Caulker is known for its laid-back atmosphere, and it might be worth considering a longer stay if possible to fully enjoy the vibe of the island, visit The Split, and not feel rushed.

Considering there will be additional cruise ships and potentially more visitors to the island, planning your activities and being mindful of time will be key. If you're really keen on making the most of your visit and the tour with Coral Breeze fits into your schedule without the snorkeling, it could be a good way to see more of the area with the time you have. However, ensure it allows you enough flexibility to enjoy Caye Caulker's charm without feeling too constrained by time.

Ultimately, whether the time you have is enough depends on your priorities and how you prefer to experience new places. If a brief taste of Caye Caulker's beauty and culture fits your travel style, then your current plan could work well. Otherwise, you might consider spending more time on the island to soak in its unique atmosphere more fully. Have a fantastic trip to Belize, and enjoy every moment of your adventure!

• 1 month later...

I have used Coral Breeze twice to go to Caye Caulker and they dropped me off before they went snorkeling and i met them when they returned and then back to ship.  They did a great job and we had plenty of time to eat, drink, and enjoy the island.  Caye Caulker is special.

Close to the split is Sip and Dip bar which we enjoyed more than the Lizard.

• Like 1