Dinner Dress Code

Hi everyone. I have an upcoming cruise on Borealis. My question is how do people dress for dinner on Fred Olsen ships? I heard they were quite dressy. I have sailed on MSC, P&O and Royal Caribbean before and I would normally wear a polo shirt and smart jeans or chinos ..... is this ok? Yes I do have  suit for formal night 🙂

3 hours ago, Steddiguy said:

Hi everyone. I have an upcoming cruise on Borealis. My question is how do people dress for dinner on Fred Olsen ships? I heard they were quite dressy. I have sailed on MSC, P&O and Royal Caribbean before and I would normally wear a polo shirt and smart jeans or chinos ..... is this ok? Yes I do have  suit for formal night 🙂

Hope this helps...

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/faqs/on-board/whats-the-dress-code-whilst-on-board

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 11:28 AM, Steddiguy said:

I think you will find the adherence to the dress code is similar on Fred to what is generally done on the P&O smaller ships, Aurora and Arcadia, so probably smarter than on the bigger P&O ships overall.  Many men wear dinner suits and ladies dress quite smartly for formal nights, though lounge suits are perfectly acceptable for men and you will see a number of them.  There are always a number of people who eat in the buffet on formal nights, as they do not wish to bring formal wear.  That may well be more so on the shorter cruises.

For non formal nights, a polo shirt is quite acceptable, as are smart, dark jeans, but not faded or well worn ones.  Again, more men tend to wear shirts and chinos or smarter trousers, so you will not see many jeans or polo shirts, but they will not be out of place at all.  It is only T-shirts without collars that are not accepted in the MDR's in the evenings, though are often worn earlier in the day.  The added advantage of shirts which we see, is that they are lighter weight and easier to pack, which is particularly useful for a longer cruises. Ladies tend to still dress fairly smartly on non formal nights, but more what they would wear if going to a good restaurant, rather than something over fancy.

I think the shorter cruises tend to be slightly less formal overall, perhaps partly because they have a slightly younger clientele.  So I suspect you will see slightly more polo shirts and smart jeans on those in the evenings.  You will find the atmosphere on Fred to be friendly and relaxed though.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1