Baggage Question

On 3/13/2024 at 6:35 PM, UKstages said:

i have honestly never seen this.

almost every bag is on wheels. almost every carryon fits on top of the main bag or attaches to the handles via a strap or a flap through which the handles fit. most people know their own limitations and know not to do self assist if they think they can't handle their own bags. i have never seen anyone struggling nor have i seen one member of a party carrying more than his or her fair share. the only consistent problem i have seen with self assist is that they often reprogram the elevators NOT to stop on the deck from which passengers are disembarking, typically deck 7 on many ships. so, many people have to carry their bags down steps in order to reach the deck from which they're disembarking.

i have never seen anybody die getting off the ship, although i've seen a few that i would have like to have murdered for cutting in line. then again, i lead a rather sheltered life; i have never met anybody named earl, either. 

I am so very sorry for you. I guess you don’t cruise very often. Or when you cruise, you don’t take the time to see the world around you. I hope you have better luck next cruise. 

We cruised two weeks ago. We are cruising today. And we are cruising at the end of the month. 3 cruise in 6 weeks. So, we get to experience more than the casual vacationer. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I am so very sorry for you. I guess you don’t cruise very often. Or when you cruise, you don’t take the time to see the world around you. I hope you have better luck next cruise. 

We cruised two weeks ago. We are cruising today. And we are cruising at the end of the month. 3 cruise in 6 weeks. So, we get to experience more than the casual vacationer. 

sorry for me?

how so?

because i've never seen anyone die getting off the ship? on a recent B2B, i saw a man have a heart attack in miami, as we were waiting in a roped off area to go through immigration and get back on the ship. does that count?

because i've never seen folks struggle with their luggage during self-assist disembarkation, as you claim happens all the time?

better luck? how so?

what you talkin' 'bout, willis?

because i mentioned that deck seven was a bottleneck?

(what i don't mention is how i subsequently got off the ship in five minutes.)

you guess that i don't cruise very often?

i've averaged 4 - 5 cruises a year since the restart.

i don't live on a cruise ship, but geez, louise, that ain't bad.

don't cry for me, little birdie.

and to think... not moments ago... i just defended you in another thread! and that wasn't the first time!

that's the thing... i call 'em like i see 'em. when you're right you're right and when you're wrong you're wrong. ridiculously, outlandishly wrong. there really is little need to warn people about the great disembarkation luggage struggle. people struggling with their own luggage as they exit the ship just isn't a widespread problem.

and i've still never met anybody named earl!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

sorry for me?

how so?

because i've never seen anyone die getting off the ship? on a recent B2B, i saw a man have a heart attack in miami, as we were waiting in a roped off area to go through immigration and get back on the ship. does that count?

because i've never seen folks struggle with their luggage during self-assist disembarkation, as you claim happens all the time?

better luck? how so?

what you talkin' 'bout, willis?

because i mentioned that deck seven was a bottleneck?

(what i don't mention is how i subsequently got off the ship in five minutes.)

you guess that i don't cruise very often?

i've averaged 4 - 5 cruises a year since the restart.

i don't live on a cruise ship, but geez, louise, that ain't bad.

don't cry for me, little birdie.

and to think... not moments ago... i just defended you in another thread! and that wasn't the first time!

that's the thing... i call 'em like i see 'em. when you're right you're right and when you're wrong you're wrong. ridiculously, outlandishly wrong. there really is little need to warn people about the great disembarkation luggage struggle. people struggling with their own luggage as they exit the ship just isn't a widespread problem.

and i've still never met anybody named earl!

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 8:45 AM, klfrodo said:

I always leave my bags out the night before. Then, we are up early, grab a bite, grab some coffee and watch the show as everyone and their brothers and sisters fight, scratch, yell at dads and kids, struggle with luggage to be the first off the ship.

Then we leisurely disembark, grab our luggage, jump in an Uber to our hotel to relax the rest of the day before our return flight home the day after departing the ship.

I never leave my bags out the night before.  Then, we are up early, grab a bite, grab some coffee and watch the show as everyone and their brothers and sisters fight, scratch, yell at dads and kids, struggle with luggage to be the first off the ship.

Then we leisurely disembark with our luggage, jump in an Uber to the airport to relax, eat lunch and catch up on the internet while awaiting our intelligently scheduled flight home.

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 3:35 PM, UKstages said:

the only consistent problem i have seen with self assist is that they often reprogram the elevators NOT to stop on the deck from which passengers are disembarking, typically deck 7 on many ships. so, many people have to carry their bags down steps in order to reach the deck from which they're disembarking.

You just made this up, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/13/2024 at 3:52 PM, complawyer said:

if ive talked to him a day or 2 before, he has arranged a taxi for us

I never thought of doing this. Great idea! Thanks for the tip!

niffernay, contrary to what others may think, i  always tip the concierge at least $50. the  ability to get off the ship within 15-20 minutes, as well as knowing a cab will be waiting at or shortly after disembarkation, is, at least for me, worth the tip, as we usually stay over in a foreign city for a few days after the cruise. if the cabbie is friendly, affable i usually ask him if he's available to drive us to the airport when we're ready to leave