Hair styling tools

Mrose11

Has anyone had any issues with bringing an electric hair curling iron on an Oceania cruise?
I’ve brought one on other cruise lines without a problem 

1 hour ago, Mrose11 said:

Has anyone had any issues with bringing an electric hair curling iron on an Oceania cruise?

The only requirement is that it be removed from the outlet when not in use (i.e., when not in the room). I leave mine out on the desk to cool, away from any flammables, if I need to leave the room before it's safe to store in the drawer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrose11 said:

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005475473-What-Not-To-Bring-On-Board 

There are some lines that specifically prohibit curling irons and hair dryers (other than those supplied). Item 21 in the Oceania list could conceivably expand to cover a curling iron, but one would think it would be singled out if that were the case. In the absence of a specific prohibition, you might want to ask O directly - or go with the CC advice. 🍺🥌

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, edgee said:

Anyone had experience with taking your own hair dryer on board. Qs and As do not sound like they are specifically prohibited.

I'm pretty sure hair dryers are not allowed. Most are high power consumption (e.g., 1500 W) which may be hard on the electrical system (probably blow a circuit before starting an electrical fire, but you never know, and fire on a ship is horrible to say the least). Compare that to a curling iron (e.g., 90 W) which will not tax the electrical system, but could start a fire if placed too close to flammables.

Edit: There is a hair dryer in the room. If you have specific attachments that you must have, pack them, although your cabin steward may be able to provide them if they are not already provided.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I'm pretty sure hair dryers are not allowed. Most are high power consumption (e.g., 1500 W) which may be hard on the electrical system (probably blow a circuit before starting an electrical fire, but you never know, and fire on a ship is horrible to say the least). Compare that to a curling iron (e.g., 90 W) which will not tax the electrical system, but could start a fire if placed too close to flammables.

Edit: There is a hair dryer in the room. If you have specific attachments that you must have, pack them, although your cabin steward may be able to provide them if they are not already provided.

Thanks. In 40 plus cruises, many on Oceania, we have never brought a hair dryer with us. However, we notice that the one on the ship is always much weaker than what we have at home. A friend is going on her first O cruise this summer and she asked if it is OK to bring a hair dryer. So I thought I would inquire since they are not specifically excluded on O website and there is a paragraph discussing plugs in cabins saying they are there for use by hair dryers.

31 minutes ago, edgee said:

Thanks. In 40 plus cruises, many on Oceania, we have never brought a hair dryer with us. However, we notice that the one on the ship is always much weaker than what we have at home. A friend is going on her first O cruise this summer and she asked if it is OK to bring a hair dryer. So I thought I would inquire since they are not specifically excluded on O website and there is a paragraph discussing plugs in cabins saying they are there for use by hair dryers.

I could be wrong...I've never seen it spelled out that bringing your own hair dryer is prohibited. Out of curiosity I looked through my most recent batch of Currents (no mention) and "blue book". The only vague reference is in the stateroom section, "Electrical Outlets: There are several electrical outlets located in each stateroom and bathroom. Available current is both 110v and 220v. You may use personal appliances from the U.S. without the need for electrical converters or transformers. For ship safety, cooking equipment and irons may not be used in your stateroom. Irons are available in the self-service launderettes." Ignoring that they called volts current (cringe), this seems like the perfect place to ban personal hair dryers and they didn't. I'll stick to the one provided though...it's kinder to my hair anyway 🙂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, edgee said:

Anyone had experience with taking your own hair dryer on board. Qs and As do not sound like they are specifically prohibited.

I ALWAYS bring and use my own hairdryer and never had any issue.  I'm very particular about my hairdryer and feel that the provided ones are inadequate.  From what I've read on these boards though, most feel that the provided ones are fine.  You cannot use the outlet in the bathroom for hairdryers, whether it's the one provided or one that you bring onboard.  I've never had any issue with using my own dryer with the outlets in the main part of the cabin (close to the mirror, of course).  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I'll stick to the one provided though...it's kinder to my hair anyway 🙂 

Agreed. I like the hair dryer provided in the cabin and I'm fairly picky about it.  My hair dryer from home would take up to too much valuable space in my luggage.

• Like 1