La Spezia - Cinque Terre Card increasing price

alserrod

Today they made public the new rates for the Cinque Terre card and they have increased a lot.

Until now they cost 18.50 euros per day

From now on there are three rates depending on the date
19.50, 27.00 and 32.50 euros/day

On the dates I want to travel, the price is 32.50 euros

the train ticket still costs 5 euros between any Cinque Terre station (it is "expensive". The same train costs less between Civitavecchia and Rome)

The Cinque Terre card includes more things but I don't think they compensate me. In addition to train trips, they offer trips in small buses around the surroundings; use of wifi, environmental workshops; use of bathrooms at stations (1 euro otherwise); museums, etc...

Has anyone done this DIY excursion?

I think it will compensate us for 3 or 4 train tickets (15 or 20 euros) instead of the Cinque Terre Card

Been 3 times to 5T, never bought the useless card, only the train tickets. There are booths were you would need to pay entrance fee to the trail if you not have the card. But there were never people there. And I don´t think in the last 20 years all trails were open, one or two or three always "broken". 

1 minute ago, perakcruiser said:

Been 3 times to 5T, never bought the useless card, only the train tickets. There are booths were you would need to pay entrance fee to the trail if you not have the card. But there were never people there. And I don´t think in the last 20 years all trails were open, one or two or three always "broken". 

Hi

First of all, I have requested to move correctly to Ports of Call. I had a mistake with this thread here

until last year in summer

5 euro/ticket

18,5 euro/full day

So just visiting four villages you saved money.

This year

5 euro/ticket (ticket hasn't increase)

32,5 euro/full day

I bet we will choose some villages only and will buy tickets

We will be a 14 people group from my parents to my small nephew. So I best just walking or villages, some pictures and relax...

In addition, 

taxi from port to station, 15 euro for 4 people. Up to 25 for 8 people

Taxi from La Spezia to Riomaggiore, 35 euro 

I do not know how much it is increased incase of more than 4 people but just for 4 people cost taxi+train is the same than taxi to Riomaggiore.

So I bet.... taxi and later some trains

5 minutes ago, alserrod said:

taxi from port to station, 15 euro for 4 people. Up to 25 for 8 people

15 Euro for less than 2km, impossible! 

7 minutes ago, alserrod said:

Taxi from La Spezia to Riomaggiore, 35 euro 

Sounds realistic. 

4 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

15 Euro for less than 2km, impossible! 

Sounds realistic. 

In La Spezia, taxis are focused for moving people from the port to any other towns or cities. They have a price for a return journey to Florence, Pisa or Portofino for instance, as well as to all towns in Cinque Terre.

It seems 15 euro is minimal fare for a taxi there.

5 hours ago, alserrod said:

Has anyone walked between Riomaggiore and Manarola?

Yes, it is a lot of stairs. Maybe not the most suitable for old folks and young kids. The easy walk down at the water is closed since I first time heard about 5T.

8 hours ago, alserrod said:

It seems 15 euro is minimal fare for a taxi there.

Maybe these a special tourist taxis, La Spezia is a big industrial town where locals need taxis also. And they surely will not pay 15 Euros for a short city ride. 

Is anyone doing the Sun Princess 7 Day Barcelona to Rome itinerary on June 1st? Starts in Barcelona, then Gilbaltar, Mariseille (Provence), Genoa, Florence/ Pisa (La Spezia), Rome. Two Sea Days. This will be our first cruise ever and our first time in Europe. We are new to this. Are these good ports? We are somewhat familiar with Barcelona, Florence, and Rome but not the other stops. I'd love some input. Thanks!

3 hours ago, LBlank1 said:

Is anyone doing the Sun Princess 7 Day Barcelona to Rome itinerary on June 1st? Starts in Barcelona, then Gilbaltar, Mariseille (Provence), Genoa, Florence/ Pisa (La Spezia), Rome. Two Sea Days. This will be our first cruise ever and our first time in Europe. We are new to this. Are these good ports? We are somewhat familiar with Barcelona, Florence, and Rome but not the other stops. I'd love some input. Thanks!

Hello

Have you written in "Roll calls"?. There's one thread per company, ship and date

4 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Yes, it is a lot of stairs. Maybe not the most suitable for old folks and young kids. The easy walk down at the water is closed since I first time heard about 5T.

Maybe these a special tourist taxis, La Spezia is a big industrial town where locals need taxis also. And they surely will not pay 15 Euros for a short city ride. 

Via dell'amore is still closed?

I have read ... open, closed, open....

Taxi... it will be for tourist but...

http://www.taxilaspezia.it/tariffe/tariffe-fisse/

So bad news....

I was wondering about

Taxi to Riomaggiore and later walk to Manarola. 

going with kids makes steps unaffordable. I do not matter about them (I am federated in mountain and trekking sports... I really do not mind!, for sure!!) but if I go with kids I bet they will get tired and soon back to the ship

Train to Vernazza (after scrolling threads and reading and reading I guess it is the must, or at least, the favourite one)

and maybe train back to La Spezia. I bet I would walk back to the ship instead of taxi

Actually the three in the middle Manarola, Corniglia and Vernazza are undoubtly the best. If the easy Manarola - Corniglia trail is closed, do not bring your kids to the hard one up and down the hill. You start either in Manarola or Vernazza and then see in Corniglia if the group is willing to continue. It is worth it and millions of very old and very young did it 🙂 

Thank you.

After reading a lot of posts, blogs and whatever... I made these classification

- Vernazza

- Manarola

- Riomaggiore

- Monterosso

- Corniglia

I set Corniglia at the botton not because bad but just because too many stairs. I have the experience that going with kids.... they can go on stairs but if they get tired.... visit is not the same

Can anyone point if you agree or disagree with me?

Is that an order of preference or the actual order you will be visit? Planning your visit in that order doesn't make sense because you will be backtracking.  If you want to visit all five villages, you should start at the North end with Monterosso, then Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.  You can take the train or ferry to Monterosso and then go back South to the other villages either by ferry or train or walking.  Corniglia is not on the water, so you would have to take the train or walk there.  Another possibility is to take the taxi to Riomaggiore and then the ferry to Monterosso and then back south.  Seeing the villages from the water is not to be missed. 

• Like 2

No, it is not in that order. Just wondering if we have enough time for all of them

All onboard is by 17:00. I am considering even situation like part of family says they want to enjoy the ship, oversleep and have late breakfast.... thus time for two or three villages only

6 hours ago, alserrod said:

No, it is not in that order. Just wondering if we have enough time for all of them

All onboard is by 17:00. I am considering even situation like part of family says they want to enjoy the ship, oversleep and have late breakfast.... thus time for two or three villages only

Well, part of the family can stay on board and the other part can go sightseeing to all 5 villages.  The part that stays on board could maybe go to Porto Venere for a couple of hours to enjoy a similar experience to Cinqueterre. Sometimes (often) it is best to split up so everyone enjoys what they want to do.  Especially the kids who probably don't want to be taken on more sightseeing when they would rather be at the pool. 

If I could... I would wake up early and will visit all of them, including some trekking.

I guess we will go all of them in group, and not early wake up but my parents requested to go all together

For Civitavecchia we will have a rent a car with driver. All solved.... for La Spezia I will have to plan thinking on kids... 

@alserrod

Well, abuelos and a short port day complicate things...

Here is a suggestion:

Taxi to Riomaggiore.  Explore the town going down to the port.

Ferry to Vernazza. Everybody will enjoy the ride and you get the best views of the villages.

Explore Vernazza. Pizza?

Train to Manarola.  Explore Manarola. 

Train to La Spezia.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don’t understand this ticket prices. What about Genoa - La spezia weekly pass it costs 32euro? Why I cannot buy it ? I heard that I cannot get off in the middle of the journey but how is that even possible? Isn’t it valid on regional trains passing through 5terra? 

the other thing single ticket cost 10 euro in high season. But ticket from la spezia to first stations just after 5terra cost 4.5 euro. What if I buy this ticket and take only partial journey starting on 5terra station of ending there? It saves 11 euro each day 110 euro in 10 days 

As I have seen, it is an action to avoid overcrowding in Cinque Terre. So they increase ticket price.

Even if you have a monthly railway pass for Liguria region you cannot get on or off there (you can go through but do not stop there).

And, in some weeks were there are valley, regular and peak days for fares, for sure weekend PLUS days with a cruise are peak days

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:37 PM, LBlank1 said:

They're exceptional ports if you're willing to put the effort in! 🙂 We've been to them all twice. First time around we sold ourselves short in Marseille by not organising anything. Was our fault. Second time we went to the Palace of the Popes in Avignon and the Pont Du Gard. 

On 3/14/2024 at 9:56 PM, alserrod said:

Has anyone walked between Riomaggiore and Manarola?

The Azure Trail. between the villages, is still not open since the rock slides (a few years ago).  Once reopened, this is a relatively easy route that most can do in under 30 min.  Some say this will be opened in July,  but that remains to be seen.  The current higher route is quite difficult and best left to experienced hikers in decent shape.  That hike can take 1 1/2 hours and involves a lot of steps and uneven surfaces.  We did it, many years ago, and it was not fun on a hot day.

Hank