LIVE from ms Rotterdam March 17-29, 2024

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

@Scrapnana I have followed every word and am thrilled that you feel like the Pole to Pole is still a go!!  I'll be reading whatever you feel like posting when the time comes for that amazing trip as well.

Take care and thank you!

~Nancy

+1

Posted (edited)

A pole to pole sounds fabulous  - happy to read this cruise went well enough that you will be going. Looking forward to reading about your adventures when the time comes.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

I'm glad to hear it, Kathi. May you really get to enjoy the Pole-to-Pole next year. You have learned your limitations and have made them work while cruising. 

I'm looking forward to any of your blog-type postings.

Good health going forward for you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Some final thoughts…

…The Rotterdam.  She is a beautiful ship and I enjoyed being onboard.  Since I normally take longer cruises with few children, it was nice having the Sea View pool as adults only.  Please note I have nothing against children (I was a teacher for 38 years) but it was nice to have a quiet pool where I did not have to dodge playful children.  On the topic of kids, all the ones I saw were very well behaved and polite.  My one negative is storage.  It’s fine for a short cruise but anything longer it would be difficult for two (or more) in a cabin.  

…Entertainment.  It was a mixed bag.  The steel drum band (Island Magic) and Chris Bannister (John Denver) put on amazing shows.  

…Have it All (HIA).  I found this well worth the money with the included excursions, drinks, dinners, etc.

…Club Orange.  I enjoyed the dining room and the ability to go when we wanted.  Elena and Monique were wonderful and very attentive.  There were small perks (fancy robes, dedicated lines at Guest Services and Shore Excursions, priority tendering and embarkation, etc.) which didn’t amount to much for me.  The change in cabins didn’t help me since I needed a handicapped cabin. Unless I was cruising with friends that had it (like this time), I probably wouldn’t get it again

…Internet.  This was the best internet I have had on a ship.  I had the Surf package as part of the HIA.  I had no trouble logging in or staying online.  The speed was great.  It was much easier to change devices than I remember from before.

…Food.  All the food was good.  Dinners in the Tamarind and Pinnacle were amazing.  We ate one meal at the NY Deli (the pizza was extremely good) and I ate lunch at the Grand Dutch Cafe which was also very good.  The Gelato was excellent and not that expensive (4ounce for $2.95 plus gratuity).

…Crew.  As usual the crew was fabulous.  

…Fellow cruisers.  As I mentioned in one of my posts, I couldn’t believe how nice people were whether offering help, making space for my rollator and me, or a dozen other things.  With all the negativity we hear on a daily basis, it was heartening to meet people that are caring.  You really do meet the nicest people on a cruise.

…All of you.  I appreciate all of you who read the posts and those who responded. It was fun hearing from those who I have met in person (brings back great memories of past cruises).

….Results of my test cruise.  The excursions I took went well.  I didn’t get off the ship at some ports but was prepared for that.  Things took me longer than they would have BC (before cancer) but I was able to do most everything I really wanted.  Knowing I won’t be able to do many things I liked to do BC ( wander around on my own, take longer excursions, do walking tours, etc.), I am planning to go on the Pole to Pole cruise next year.  My TA got me the handicapped cabin on deck 3 of the Volendam which is also in a location that is convenient to the Promenade deck.  So, barring any unforeseen problems, I will be writing another Live report in 299 days (according to my countdown clock).

Smooth sailing until next time!

Thanks for taking us all along with you.  I just wanted to say that in 2018 I had the same cancer that you had.  I did 4.5 months of chemo and 17 rounds of radiation.   I'm still cancer free and my oncologist used the "cured" word.   I now have the sweetest 3 year old puppy who I can't bring myself to leave to start cruising again but that's okay, I did 40+ cruises with my husband before he passed away in 2021.  It took some time to get back to some kind of new normal but  I do pilates 5 days a week and walk at least 5 miles a day with my sweet girl.  I am thrilled that you are doing Pole to Pole and will be following along.   Enjoy every minute!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to your Live From blog, Kathi.  I just found out you were posting when I saw Susie on the Discovery Princess last week (we did the Eclipse cruise, it was fantastic).

I've just caught up reading and I'm so happy the cruise went well for you AND that you are up for the Pole to Pole.  I've been considering doing a segment of it, so if I do decide to sail, I'll let you know and it will be awesome to see you again.  I can't believe it's been 4 years since we were "disembarked" in Perth on our 2020 world cruise!!

Cheers to you my friend!

Sherita

• Like 3