Alaska on Viking Orion, June 3rd 2024 - Juneau tender port - how long to get from ship to dock?

Hi, I'm new to cruising and have learned that our ship will anchor off Juneau and tender into port. If you have done this in Juneau can you please describe the process and the amount of time needed to get ashore?

How does Viking Orion prioritize passengers in regard to getting an early tender seat?

Thanks, all

3 hours ago, pottering said:

Hi, I'm new to cruising and have learned that our ship will anchor off Juneau and tender into port. If you have done this in Juneau can you please describe the process and the amount of time needed to get ashore?

How does Viking Orion prioritize passengers in regard to getting an early tender seat?

Thanks, all

Welcome to CruiseCritic... and to cruising! 🙂 

Some people here can answer questions about tendering in Juneau.  (When we were there, we docked, so I can't help specifically with that.)

As for the Viking tendering process, why not ask on the Viking section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

Also browse there for other information and background.

And you might want to look for the Roll Call for your *specific* cruise and connect in advance with other passengers.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/768-viking-ocean-roll-calls/

ENJOY!

GC

It will be an interesting day for you.

Also scheduled to be in port the same day ..3 June 2024

Celebrity Edge

Discovery Princess

Eurodam

Koningsdam

Norwegian Sun

The town could be heaving.

As somebody has already suggested you can probably get bet ter Viking specific information over on the Viking board.

Some years ago on an AK cruise on the Grand Princess we tendered at Juneau.  We were anchored very close to the tender pier.  I would say that it was the shortest tender trip (if that is the correct terminology) that I have ever taken.  The total travel time between the ship and the pier could not have been more than about 10 minutes.

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Welcome to CruiseCritic... and to cruising! 🙂 

Some people here can answer questions about tendering in Juneau.  (When we were there, we docked, so I can't help specifically with that.)

As for the Viking tendering process, why not ask on the Viking section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

Also browse there for other information and background.

And you might want to look for the Roll Call for your *specific* cruise and connect in advance with other passengers.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/768-viking-ocean-roll-calls/

ENJOY!

GC

Thank you. I will post on the Viking board and keep an eye on Roll Call. I'm looking forward to the adventure. It's a 10 day cruise in an area I have been in the past (just not on a cruise ship) so it should be great.

Trying to reply all, so hopefully this works. I already replied to GeezerCouple for their helpful response.

Thanks for all the suggestions. MBP&O2/O I will be in Juneau on June 8th (my mistake in not being clear). I think it will also be heaving that day. XBGuy, it helps me to have some insight into the possible timing. Thank you. 

• Like 1

In addition to GeezerCouple's suggestions, there is also and Alaska section of the forums. Look in Ports of Call for Alaska. It is best to post questions about a specific area or a specific cruise line in the part of the board dedicated to that topic. You are more likely to get responses there. 

If you are tendering in the bigger Alaska ports like Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, then it probably means that all the docks are occupied - therefore a pretty busy day for the port.