Portland and Dover questions

We will be going to these 2 ports on the Rotterdam in April and are hoping that someone who has been to them before can help.

Portland- Since we have already been to Stonehenge and Canterbury before is a train ride to Weymouth a good idea? Any other suggestions for a Wednesday excursion?

Dover- Can you get to the castle and lighthouse with public bus from the port? Does the footpath from Dover to St. Margaret’s Bay start near the port?

Since I have never been to either place do they have a shuttle into town or tourist office at the port? Can you buy tickets on the bus or use a credit card for payment?

Portland

No trains on Portland Bill, but it's just a 10-minute ride on ship's shuttlebus to Weymouth.

The bus takes you on the road across the shingle bank to "the mainland," with the shingle Chesil Bank on your left and Portland Harbour (2012 Olympic sailing events) on your right. The drop point in Weymouth is on the south of the town, it's a 5 to 10 minute walk across the Town Bridge into the town. 

Weymouth is a Victorian seaside resort, in a kinda 1950's / '60s time-warp. A favourite of Brits, but few international visitors. Little lanes with shops, pubs, cafes, smugglers' museum, fish & chips, kiss-me-quick hats, etc leading to the esplanade & .wide sandy beach (sand sculptors often at work). Good for a lazy day. 

Portland is a secure navy port, you can't walk in or out and there are no taxis or tours on-spec., if you want a tour you need to fix it in advance. You leave the port & return on the shuttlebuses - free to little Portland Castle or the nearby volunteer-run D-Day museum (Portland was a major departure port for D-Day), usually payable to Weymouth. probably $10 or $15 return fare

If you fix up a taxi or private tour they meet you at Portland Castle. 

Lots of alternatives along the Jurassic Coast & in the Dorset countryside  including Durdle Door & Lulworth Cove, Corfe Castle, Bovington Tank Museum,  the market town of Dorchester (here you have the alternative of going from Weymouth by train), Abbotsbury Swannery, West Bay & Bridport.

But you'd need to fix up a tour in advance - none available on-the-day, and no car rentals on Portland or even in the centre of Weymouth.

More info and suggestions for tour operators at 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Portland &quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=148

Dover 

The cruise terminals (one behind the other) are in the Western Docks.

To the castle by public bus is a royal pain, You'd need two buses, each of which runs only half-hourly plus a longish walk at both end - the one up to the castle s steep.

Far simpler to take a taxi from the cruise terminal into the castle. I'll guess at £10 to £15 e/w. I don't think there's a taxi rank at the castle so arrange for the driver or colleague to collect you.

You could easily spend four hours or more in the castle, it's been in continuous use from the 11th century to the end of WW2 during which the area was known as Hellfire Corner. The imposing Keep is in fine condition & you can clearly see France from the roof, there are curtain walls & cannon, medieval tunnels (self-guided) and tunnels used in WW2 to organise the Dunkirk evacuation  included in the castle entry fee but guided - fix a guided tour time when you arrive), military museums etc in the outbuildings. etc . The Roman lighthouse is within the castle grounds.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/dover-castle/

The path to St Margaret's Bay is at the opposite end of Dover from the cruise terminals.

I think the best place to start is from near the castle

JB 🙂

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Weymouth is a Victorian seaside resort

We stayed in Weymouth for a week in 2022, using it as a base for exploring the area. Nice town. I liked the combination of expanse of beach and promenade and the narrow streets of the town centre. Two recommendations for lunch in town. Traditional fish & chips at Bennetts (at the town bridge) or a more upmarket version at seafood mini-chain, Rockfish. 

As mentioned, Portland has the small and quite interesting D Day museum which may be worth a visit - it majors on the American contribution. Lunch at the nearby Jailhouse Cafe might be a "not everyday" choice. It's located at HM Prison Portland and is crewed by prisoners, preparing for release.

Definitely an area with lots to do and I'm sure we'll return for another week in due course. 

Dover.  To add to what John Bull said.  The castle.  Yes, if you wanted a bus all the way, it's two buses.  But if you are happy to walk a mile (on the level) you can walk from your ship to where the Bus81 starts (Pencester Road) then you can get the "important" bus - the one that spares you the walk up the very steep hill!

The footpath to St Margaret starts beside the Eastern Docks.  But it starts at sea level and goes up onto the cliff, so it's hard work for the first mile.  I would second John Bulls comment about taking the bus up the hill and joining the path there.  Additionally,  there is nothing to see at the start,  unless you are interested in a vast cavalacade of trucks getting onto ferries...

58 minutes ago, Island2Dweller said:

Additionally,  there is nothing to see at the start,  unless you are interested in a vast cavalacade of trucks getting onto ferries...

It used to be a living for some of us!!! Even more fun when the French blockaded Calais so you queued for the tunnel instead...ah, happy days!

Simon

Hi. I believe we’re on the Rotterdam transatlantic cruise also. And, like you, we’ve already seen and visited Stonehenge and Canterbury Cathedral on previous vacations. We would like to share some new adventures with you in Dover and Portland/ Weymouth. If you’re agreeable, send us a message. We’d love to join you.

Diane and Mike

Hi Diane and Mike,

Yes we are on Rotterdam and would be glad to share some adventures with you both. It seems like in these ports a diy would be possible.  

Let’s talk at meet and greet on the 14th.

Rhoda and Nancy

On 3/16/2024 at 5:44 PM, John Bull said:

Far simpler to take a taxi from the cruise terminal into the castle. I'll guess at £10 to £15 e/w. I don't think there's a taxi rank at the castle so arrange for the driver or colleague to collect you.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, chatuga said:

Does Uber work in Dover or Weymouth?
If you use a taxi will credit cards be acceptable.?

Uber  

Yes in Dover. And lots of taxis on-spec, but also lots of folk

Yes in the Weymouth area, but

Portland Harbour is a secure Navy port. The only way to leave or enter the port is on a ship's excursion or shuttlebus.

You can pay to take a shuttlebus 4 1/2 miles to the Victorian seaside resort town of Weymouth, or a free shuttlebus half a mile to Portland Castle - this is where private tours & taxis meet their cruise ship customers. This might make the timing a bit unpredictable - I've not heard of any problems in this respect but you really need advice from those who've done it.

There are no taxis available on-spec on Portland, and I'm a little doubtful about whether Uber drivers would be interested on-spec, I very strongly advise you to pre-book.

Do taxis accept credit cards ?

Almost-certainly all at Dover cruise terminal.

Probably on Portland but a risk that there are a few which don't.  But that's something you can check when you book.

What are your plans for taxis at these ports?

They're a convenient way to get around town, but further than about 10 miles they'll be expensive if metered rather than at a pre-booked fixed price.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

It seems like in Portland the shuttle will get us to Weymouth and the castle so no need for a taxi. Thanks for information regarding taxis in Dover as trip from terminal to the castle and lighthouse would be convenient.  Any suggestions you might have regarding the path from the castle to St. Margaret’s Bay would be appreciated.  Is it a difficult walk? How long Would it take? At St. Margaret’s Bay will taxis be available?
I am hoping the weather will cooperate!!

On 3/16/2024 at 10:44 PM, John Bull said:

The path to St Margaret's Bay is at the opposite end of Dover from the cruise terminals.

I think the best place to start is from near the castle

JB 🙂

7 hours ago, chatuga said:

Thanks for information regarding taxis in Dover as trip from terminal to the castle and lighthouse would be convenient.  Any suggestions you might have regarding the path from the castle to St. Margaret’s Bay would be appreciated.  Is it a difficult walk? How long Would it take? At St. Margaret’s Bay will taxis be available?
I am hoping the weather will cooperate!!

We've visited Dover Castle a couple of times. 

On another occasion we dropped into St Margaret's Bay by car.

But we've never walked the Cliffs path.

Sorry, I got it wrong 🙄

Checking googlemaps & photos, altho Dover Castle to the upper start of the cliff walk (White Cliffs Visitor Centre & carpark) is little more than 1/2 of a mile as the crow flies it's not really sensible for those of us without wings - from the castle you have to go down about a mile to the "town" start of the path behind the ferry terminal, under the A2 London road and a steep uphill walk of a little under half a mile (including steps) up to the Visitor Centre. 

From the Visitor Centre the walk past the South Foreland lighthouse looks to be undulating but easy and eventually drops down to St Margaret's Bay, about 3 miles on a variety of paths, some gravelled & some merely beaten by walkers but easy going.

It wouldn.t be fun in adverse weather.

The route shown here includes the steep climb up to the visitor centre, which you can avoid by taking a taxi to the visitor centre https://thecoastguard.co.uk/

There's little to see in St Margaret's Bay, and there certainly won't be a taxi rank. 

There's a pub "The Coastguard" by the little beach, it would make sense to ask them for a taxi phone number (and ask to use their phone if using your own would be an international call) and settle down for a pint or a snack or meal. https://thecoastguard.co.uk/

I'm none-too-sure what to suggest - possibly start with a taxi from ship to White Cliffs Visitor Centre, walk to St Margaret's Bay, take a break at the Coastguard pub, taxi to the castle, taxi back to the ship?

JB 🙂

Thanks so much for answering my questions John. It looks like taking a taxi from the cruise terminal to the White Cliffs Visitor center makes the most sense and then walking from there weather permitting. I assume from there a taxi to the castle won’t be a problem.  Not sure of distances between the terminal, visitor center, castle and back to the terminal but am guessing it’s not very far.  Could you hazard a guess on fares?

Thanks again for your assistance.

7 minutes ago, chatuga said:

Thanks so much for answering my questions John. It looks like taking a taxi from the cruise terminal to the White Cliffs Visitor center makes the most sense and then walking from there weather permitting. I assume from there a taxi to the castle won’t be a problem.  Not sure of distances between the terminal, visitor center, castle and back to the terminal but am guessing it’s not very far.  Could you hazard a guess on fares?

Thanks again for your assistance.

I know that a taxi from cruise terminal to rail station is 1.5 miles & £10 - to the White Cliffs Visitor Centre is about 3 miles so I'll guess about £15.

St Margaret's Bay to the castle is about 4.5 miles, so  perhaps as much as £20 - but as per my last post from there you'll need to call for a taxi and ask for it to arrive at a mutually-convenient time.

From the castle unless you fix a return time to the ship with the driver, again you'll need to phone for a taxi (make sure to agree a clear and obvious location within the extensive castle grounds - perhaps outside the NAAFI Restaurant - drinks, snacks etc). Back to the ship is 2 miles, £10 to £12.

All educated guesswork.

But if you want to ask about UBER this techno-dinosaur isn't the person to ask 🥴

JB 🙂

I forgot to ask if taxi drivers expect to be tipped and if so what percentage is the average?  I haven’t been to England in quite some time and wasn’t using taxis on my last visit.