Early disembarkation - what to do while waiting for hotel check-in

The ship docks in Southampton at 07.00 and I can't get a guaranteed early check-in at my hotel (I've asked). They have said they will store my luggage, but what can I do to while away the time until possibly 15.00, other than settling down with my book in the hotel lobby???
Any ideas gratefully received!

Where are you staying? This is (presumably) well rested at the end of your cruise, not exhausted after a day long flight?

Agree with dropping your bags and exploring. Easy to do. 

I'm disembarking in Southampton and staying overnight in Southampton.

I will already have done a bit of exploring as I will be in Southampton for 2 days before the

cruise.

I was looking for something that would while away a few hours without too much effort on my (elderly) part!

You can swing disembarkation until about 9.30.

In Southampton 

https://www.visitsoutheastengland.com/things-to-do/tudor-house-and-garden-p8041

(historic pub The Duke of Wellington, a hundred yards down the road)

https://seacitymuseum.co.uk/

https://southamptoncityartgallery.com/

( Art Gallery & SeaCity museum are both part of the Civic Office complex

https://www.solentsky.org/

Selection of shops, restaurants etc in the city centre, centred on The Bargate

JB 🙂

Thank you JB - I was hoping you'd reply! I'll certainly hang about as long as possible on board.

I know the hotel will store my luggage - I mentioned that in my original post, so no idea why Cruiser Bruce thought they wouldn't 😄

Would it be an idea to have a trip over to the Isle of Wight do you think? Would Osborne House be doable?

2 hours ago, Korimako said:

I'm disembarking in Southampton and staying overnight in Southampton.

I will already have done a bit of exploring as I will be in Southampton for 2 days before the

cruise.

I was looking for something that would while away a few hours without too much effort on my (elderly) part!

Ah. I think JB's got you. We were taking you too literally! People separated by a common language! 😁

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Korimako said:

Thank you JB - I was hoping you'd reply! I'll certainly hang about as long as possible on board.

I know the hotel will store my luggage - I mentioned that in my original post, so no idea why Cruiser Bruce thought they wouldn't 😄

Would it be an idea to have a trip over to the Isle of Wight do you think? Would Osborne House be doable?

To get the best out of the Island you need a very long day, but not for just Osborne House.

It was designed in Italianate style by Queen Vic's husband Prince Albert, and was her favourite home, takes mebbe 3 to 4 hours.

From Southampton Town Quay there are two ferry routes - both go to Cowes, which is divided by the Medina River.

The Red Jet fast-ferry goes to (west)  Cowes, the traditional Red Funnel car ferry goes to East Cowes, on the other side of the River..

Best for Osborne is the Red Funnel car ferry to East Cowes

The crossing takes about an hour. When you leave the ferry it's a simple 2 - 3 minute walk to the bus stop alongside the Waitrose grocery store. Take any bus from there to Osborne House, there are only two bus routes, the No 4 and the No 5. Three to four buses per hour (two per hour on sundays) for the 10-minute journey - ask the driver to put you off at Osborne House.

It's a bit of a walk down to the House from the entrance gates. In the House you follow a route, it's self-guided but there are knowledgeable staff.

Be sure to include the "Swiss Cottage" built for her 8 - 9 children, there's an included shuttle-van to take you there.

There's also a shuttle-van to the private beach & Queen Vic's bathing machine, but on busy days there can be a line to get back to the House late in the day.

Same bus back to East Cowes.

If you want to extend your time on the Island, take chain ferry across the river from East Cowes to Cowes "proper", an attractive tourist town famous amongst the yachting fraternity. It's a ten-minute walk from the chain ferry to the centre of town. Your first stop should be at the Red Jet ferry terminal to check availability and up-grade your Red Funnel tickets. The Red Jet takes about 35 minutes to cross to Southampton Town Quay.

If you skip that extension I guess you'd be back at your hotel at about 3pm to 4pm, if you reckon to take in (west) Cowes best to check if there's a latest hotel check-in time.

https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1