St Thomas - beach for snorkeling and island tour

KJMM

We're going on a cruise with Enchanted Princess soon and one of the ports is St Thomas. Our party consists of two adults (couple) and one senior.

• After some basic research it seems most of the points of interest require a taxi ride? Or are there any places we can visit on foot?
  • Which beach is the best for snorkeling, at the same time not too crowded? It also needs to have some lounge chairs available as the senior in our party don't swim. Magens Bay seems to be the best on paper, but I read some reviews it's highly overrated and very crowded
  • Are the 2-3 hour "island scenic drives" worth it? If so, is it cheaper to buy them directly after getting off the ship, or through Princess excursions? I saw some videos of the island and to be honest wasn't that impressed by the view
  • Not really interested in Coral World or any bars/restaurants (none of us drink alcohol)

If you have never been to St Thomas the circle the island tour would be worth the time and money. It is a beautiful island and enjoyable to see more than a few spots. I would arrange the tour once in port.  There will be several vendors to choose from.  Try to get off the ship early to avoid the crowds.  All the tours go to the same stops.  Magens Bay is beautiful and large but there is very little to see when snorkeling. It is a sandy bay.  If you are interested in snorkeling I would go to Secret Harbor Beach.  There are chairs to rent and fairly good snorkeling.  I saw a small sea turtle there one time.  Two members of our group did a shore dive.

The last time we stopped in St Thomas we were with friends who had never been before so we did the circle the island with them.  We asked our driver to drop us off at Secret Harbor beach and he was very willing to accommodate us.  (We tipped him extra.)  We took a taxi back to the ship.  (Taxis routinely stop at this beach.)  There is a small resort on the beach.

Good luck and safe travels.