Cash deposit/Debit Card Hold Question

Flnative9206

Hello everyone! 

We will be boarding the MSC Magnifica tomorrow morning for a 4day Bahamas cruise out of Miami. I was planning on depositing cash at Guest Services when we board tomorrow to put on our cruise account. Does gratuities come out from the amount you deposit as well? Or is that a separate charge/hold? Does anyone know how much the hold typically is? I am assuming it is at least the amount to cover the tips at the end of the trip (I was thinking the $200-$250 range). 

I understand that debit holds are not necessarily a “higher amount” but that the hold may take longer to release as well. 

Thank you! 

Just be aware that your account must be settled to a zero balance, even if they owe you money. I have seen several reports of people being required to go to Guest Services and stand in line to get a refund of a few dollars before they can leave the ship. 

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Just be aware that your account must be settled to a zero balance, even if they owe you money. I have seen several reports of people being required to go to Guest Services and stand in line to get a refund of a few dollars before they can leave the ship. 

If I may piggy back on this question, If you put cash down so long as your account not over you walk off the ship with the remaining cash back? Is it in the form of a check or cash? I ask because we have prepaid gratuities and have a drink package so we are really not planning on incurring more expenses on the ship. If I put down the full amount asked I expect to get a heft bit back at the end of the trip. I don't have a credit card for personal reasons. 

Service grate are usually charged day 2 or 3 and any money you have in that account the grass will be debited against that money,,,,, If you have money at the end of the cruise just go up to guest services to draw it out.

9 minutes ago, Minnevan Cruiser said:

If I may piggy back on this question, If you put cash down so long as your account not over you walk off the ship with the remaining cash back? Is it in the form of a check or cash? I ask because we have prepaid gratuities and have a drink package so we are really not planning on incurring more expenses on the ship. If I put down the full amount asked I expect to get a heft bit back at the end of the trip. I don't have a credit card for personal reasons. 

It should be in cash.

1 hour ago, Minnevan Cruiser said:

then just don't put anything on your account if you don't plan on any expenses