Alaska in August

This will be our first trip to Alaska.  We are sailing from Seattle on Ovation of the Sea, up past the glacier.  Do we need to bring cold-weather clothing, as we are whale watching while in Juneau.  Any tips and/or tricks are greatly appreciated!!

1 hour ago, tiredmomofboys said:

This will be our first trip to Alaska.  We are sailing from Seattle on Ovation of the Sea, up past the glacier.  Do we need to bring cold-weather clothing, as we are whale watching while in Juneau.  Any tips and/or tricks are greatly appreciated!!

Layers are the best bet.  We have sailed Alaska in May a few times and have had warm port days that we could wear shorts but cooler visits to glaciers that we had long pants, long sleeved shirt, fleece 3/4 zip and a waterproof shell on.  Others were dressed for the arctic with heavy coats.  You could end up with rain, so a waterproof, not water resistant, outer layer can make a difference between a miserable excursion and one that is wet but tolerable.

• Like 3

Sailed early August last year and had to look for a sweatshirt and sweatpants for my grandson at our first stop. He packed for himself, oh and we needed to find a belt at another stop. I brought the rain poncho for him and it was needed. I've sailed Alaska in May, July and August. Have worn a coat of some type on all. Agree, do not forget a rain proof layer. The inexpensive ponchos actually  work quite well - hood, long to cover a lot and roomy for over anything you want to carry and keep dry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiredmomofboys said:

I agree with all of the above.  Packing layers and wet gear like a water proof inexpensive poncho is essential. Several pairs of shoes unless you have waterproof so a pair can dry out and you have another to wear.  I sailed last August 18th and had great weather ( I was very lucky).  A few time I just wore my T or my Jersey shirt, but for a good part of the time I wore a light long sleeved thermal shirt, with a t-shirt over it and was comfortable. By Hubbard glacier, I had on a long sleeved light thermal, t-shirt, Royal Jersey and a down vest and a hat.   I was out for quite a while in front of the ship and on the sides of Radiance and I was comfortable.   Had the same when I went whale watching in Icy Strait but had one of the layers plus the water proof poncho in my day pack.

I don't like to be cold.  I use a day pack to carry additional layers if removed, or put on if I was cold.

Keep in mind, because you wear layers, you will wear some of the cloths multiple times (for me it was my t-shirts and Jersey shirts.  I had 2 of the long sleeved thermals, and washed out the armpits and hung to dry, while I was wearing the other, so you might not need as many as you might think.  There are some very good Alaska packing videos on utube.  I watched several different people and picked out what I thought would worked for me.

Alaska is awesome, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1