Help with some excursion info Kodiak and Unalaska Sept. 2024

BBGrace273

Hi everyone! I am going on the 9/12 Silver Nova cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo, and we Alaska stops on both Kodiak Island (8-5pm) and in Unalaska (8-3pm). Unfortunately, for these 2 stops, all the included excursions are already full.  Unfortunately, taking a hike isn't ideal, as I am travelling with my dad (82) who walks with a cane.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Kodiak still has selected excursions available for whale watching. We have that in Juneau. Any recommendations from people who've been to Alaska a lot on which location is better for wildlife? I could possibly switch. Just looking for some ideas, as my usual go-to's of local guides and Viator aren't any help.

I have been to Kodiak both on business and prior to taking a Alaska state ferry out to Unalaska/Dutch Harbor.

Kodiak is known for its bears.  When we spent several days there in 2016 prior to boarding the ferry a cruise ship was at the ferry dock which at that time was slightly out of town.  A school bus was used to shuttle ship passengers downtown, but many people walked.  Downtown has the Kodiak History Museum (Baranov Museum) and the Alutiiq Museum.  Ft. Abercrombie, with its WW II defenses, is out of town.  

After disembarking from the state ferry we spent several days in Unalaska/Dutch Harbor birding.  If your ship will use the state ferry berth you will be closer to the community.  When we were there we again had a small cruise ship stopping for a day.  It used the ferry berth.  A shuttle was running (again a school bus) dropping passengers at the Grand Aleutian Hotel and the World  War II museum.  This shuttle did not take folks up to the remains of Ft. Schwatka which is at the top of a mountain with incredible views.  The Museum of the Aleutians was not open when we were there so I have no idea if the shuttle would have stopped there, but I suspect they would have.

Both communities have interesting WW II history.  

And both can have nasty weather.  On a clear day Dutch Harbor/Unalaska is spectacular, but when it isn't clear expect nasty conditions.

@Northern Aurora @AKStafford  I don't mean to coop the thread, but do either of you know how far the rental car is at airport from cruise terminal?  We will be crossing from Yokohama to Seattle in May and will be in Kodiak for a stop all day and we want to head out to Fossil Beach, etc.  Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

@AKJonesy:  When I was in Kodiak on business I rented a car at the airport to use for the several days I was there.  

In 2016 when my husband and I were in Kodiak for a few days prior to picking up the Tustamena to head out to Unalaska we rented a car for the day to re-visit Ft. Abercrombie.  At that time one of the rental companies would deliver a car at a downtown gift store where we picked it up and then returned the keys to the gift store at the end of the day.  I don't remember the name of the rental car company.

• Like 1

For our Jun 24 trip the Museum of the Aleutians which is normally closed are open and running some bus tours for the cruise ship separate from the cruise company. Call or email and ask for Thomas. I think we filled up two 12 passenger busses for tours at two different times. Two hours 15 min tours. $115.