Using Ship Computers

I notice from previous posts that the ships (e.g. Nieuw Statendam) have computers available for passenger use. One post indicated you need to pay for internet access. How does that work for these computers? Is it by day or by hour or do you need to purchase a wifi package? What would you use the computer for without internet access.. the Navigator app only? Thank you in advance for clarifying.

You can use the computer for Navigator and some news that is free with it - as well as the HAL site but generally speaking - if you are using a computer for any significant purpose (like checking email) then you need wifi and a wifi package.

there are some by 1/2 day or day or shorter pricing available but those are usually on the last day I believe to allow people to check flights etc.  I seem to recall a daily charge at one time but I’m not sure if it is still available since I always do a wifi package.  Hopefully someone else can clarify. 

The cost whether you are using HAL’s computer or your own device for wifi is the same.

• Thanks 1

I have used it to check the daily menus, and to print out my statement on the last night. 

I also bought an Internet package so I could read (and clear out!) my emails, connect to Cruise Critic, and Facebook. 
But there is a use for the computers. Not everyone has need for a smartphone. 

• Like 1

Yes you need to access the Internet to do anything useful. The computer provides a browser window, but the desktop is locked so no other apps may be launched. You can get to a very limited number of news sites on the browser.

I used the printer there to print several lists (was on the Westerdam and had put together 5 tour groups from the roll call). Had my documents stored "in the cloud" so had to use my Internet access, get to Google then print my documents. Westerdam had 3 computers set up in a quiet spot near the library on Deck 3.

Several people had tried to use the computers unsuccessfully, there is no contact number for tech support, you're pretty much on your own there if you have issues. Guest Services can be clueless too - initially I had two different answers from them on the use of the printer (was trying to print documents from USB, but that didn't work).

16 hours ago, Funsun60 said:

I notice from previous posts that the ships (e.g. Nieuw Statendam) have computers available for passenger use. One post indicated you need to pay for internet access. How does that work for these computers? Is it by day or by hour or do you need to purchase a wifi package? What would you use the computer for without internet access.. the Navigator app only? Thank you in advance for clarifying.

Have used them in the past when I want to print out something such as may on board statement.

On 3/17/2024 at 6:07 PM, asebastian said:

... Guest Services can be clueless too - initially I had two different answers from them on the use of the printer (was trying to print documents from USB, but that didn't work).

January on K'dam I needed to print some things and asked about emailing them to GS or using the computers or if I could print from USB or bring my laptop. Told no way to connect from laptop. Even though the computers (there are 2) are very close to GS, they told me to save the docs to my phone and they printed them from there. Said it's quicker and easier for them to just "tap tap" on my phone.

The guy went behind the wall and 2 seconds later came back w/the papers and my phone. 

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

January on K'dam I needed to print some things and asked about emailing them to GS or using the computers or if I could print from USB or bring my laptop. Told no way to connect from laptop. Even though the computers (there are 2) are very close to GS, they told me to save the docs to my phone and they printed them from there. Said it's quicker and easier for them to just "tap tap" on my phone.

The guy went behind the wall and 2 seconds later came back w/the papers and my phone. 

I did the same. Just air dropped it to them / emailed and they printed it off.

• Like 1