Golden Lion

burnsva

On 5/2/2024 at 5:33 PM, majortom10 said:

As previous thought and said "if it is not broken do not try and fix it" and Cunard and Mr Roux have certainly done that and IMO the .emu is a awful and will not attract me to frequent it in July. Pity as always loved fish and chips, curry and ploughman's in its original form. So it's a big NO from me.

Fish n Chips is still there and is inclusive

I read on a FB post earlier that the fish and chips were as good as ever and yesterday's Cornish Pasty was very good.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Fish n Chips is still there and is inclusive

Yes but Hake and don't like or eat Hake. Don't know what is wrong with good old cod or haddock. My only thoughts is perhaps Hake is cheaper.

Hake is a Cod. As to cost it is either equal or sometimes a bit more expensive. 

Also, we've already seen all of QAs specialty menus and all seem to follow the formula of having some items be additional and the rest included. It's actually a better idea than having some venues be all additional as this way all venues attract both included preference and additional preference guests. 

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes but Hake and don't like or eat Hake. Don't know what is wrong with good old cod or haddock. My only thoughts is perhaps Hake is cheaper.

And less endangered.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Don't care if you don't like it you don't eat it.

I wouldn’t suggest for a moment you should. I was merely suggesting that that may be a reason for hake becoming more widely available.

Having done a quick Google it seems in general that Hake is cheaper than Cod or Haddock so perhaps that is the reason for the change another cost cutting exercise.

Cod loin is very distinctive, but I suspect I'd struggle to tell the difference between cod fillet and hake in a blind test. Coley (or it's various other names) seems to have a slightly softer texture.

I'd prefer not to ruin the flavour of any of them by covering them in batter or breadcrumbs!

12 minutes ago, D&N said:

Cod loin is very distinctive, but I suspect I'd struggle to tell the difference between cod fillet and hake in a blind test. Coley (or it's various other names) seems to have a slightly softer texture.

I'd prefer not to ruin the flavour of any of them by covering them in batter or breadcrumbs!

I so agree. I always think the only reason for covering stuff with batter or breadcrumbs is to hide deficiencies of quality or quantity, probably both. I don’t like fish and chips.

• Like 2

The only ones who really know the difference between hake, cod, and other white flaky fish are die-hard New England fishermen. Here’s a hake recipe that reminds me very much like a cod dish:

https://newengland.com/weekends_with_yankee/episode-402-arts-and-the-sea/barton-seavers-sauteed-hake-with-brown-butter-herbs-baby-potatoes/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NE John said:

The only ones who really know the difference between hake, cod, and other white flaky fish are die-hard New England fishermen. Here’s a hake recipe that reminds me very much like a cod dish:

https://newengland.com/weekends_with_yankee/episode-402-arts-and-the-sea/barton-seavers-sauteed-hake-with-brown-butter-herbs-baby-potatoes/

Massachusetts, the home of the sacred cod. But isn’t random white fish called scrod?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Massachusetts, the home of the sacred cod. But isn’t random white fish called scrod?

Correct. Smaller cod and other whitefish is called scrod. We are lucky to be around good New England fishermen around here. 

• Like 2