Tenerife - getting to the other side of the island

Does anyone have experience with traveling to the southern part of the island, closer to the airport, from the port?  Mapquest is saying it is about an hour by car.  Any thought on the cost for doing this?

4 hours ago, dad son team said:

Does anyone have experience with traveling to the southern part of the island, closer to the airport, from the port?  Mapquest is saying it is about an hour by car.  Any thought on the cost for doing this?

Hello

In all Canary islands I have always rented with "cicar"

It is a local company that will let you releasing the car in a different office without any extra cost.

I booked in Tenerife-Norte airport. I got off the car in Tenerife-Sur and I hadn't extra cost.

In addition, I moved the car to La Gomera island. They allowed to move the car providing it was back to the same island

https://www.cicar.com/

• Like 1

I'll second @alserrod's suggestion of renting a car from Cicar - we've rented from them on many of the Canary Islands. Friendly & efficient, depots at the ports, sensible pricing with no unexpected add-ons, clean new & nearly-new cars, unlimited mileage, even a map and informative CD.

JB 🙂

Cicar and AutoReisen are regularly recommended on the Tripadvisor forum, as being honest, reliable and reasonably priced. 

The OP doesnt mention how long they are visiting the south for. If just for a  day trip, whilst the cruise ship is in port, renting a car may give the required flexibility over the day, assuming there's a rental car office at the port (I  don't recall seeing one when we were there last summer - but then I wasnt looking for it). Bear in mind that most European cars have manual gear shift so, if needed, you may need to go more upmarket to get an automatic

Other options to get to the south would be taxi (about €125 each  way) or bus (€10 approx but probably not that practical for the day).

Just compare companies. Of course you will find major companies for rent a car in Canary islands (Avis, herz, sixt, etc....)

But Cicar has the largest number of offices. So then, it increase service in several ways:

- they allow you to do a one-way (returning in a different location). They have so many offices that they do not bother about over-cars in one and few ones in other one

- they allow you to change from one island to another. They just request you to return in the same island. The real problem for a rental company here is if you have an accident in another island. All companies ban it except Cicar. The possibilites are low so they just assume some cars could be changed because it.... not too many, affordable 

- it is fine for short days. People arrive by plane, later by bus to a hotel and stay for a week. Maybe they just want a car for two-three days. They will surely have an office near the hotel and it will be quite cheap for several days only.

But obviously you may compare all of them. I just suggest all of you to consider this unknown company. for a lot of people