Cunard marketing email for 2026 eclipse

18 hours ago, Tjccjt said:

I've booked this trip. Now I'm starting to wonder quite what I've let myself in for. I've always wanted to see a total eclipse and I'll be 60 in 2026. It's also our 30th wedding anniversary so it seemed like a good idea to level up our usual holiday spend.

Looks like I'm going to be rinsed on board for drinks and internet. Do people think the drinks packages are worth the cost? My wife doesn't drink a great amount and from the website it appears that both of us have to book the same drinks package. I'd have to put quite a bit away to make that add up.

We're not people who dress up either. Are formal nights limited to the main dining room? I'm quite happy to put on a shirt and jacket and go to one of the restaurants but black tie is a bit over the top for me. 

Anything else I should know before we travel?

Thanks.

Do not get drinks package. You have to be a reasonably serious drinker to get value, and if one of you is a light drinker the other would likely be on the way to being half cut permanently to get value. And speciality coffees you can get with your meals. 

I’m not normally a dressy person but I actually liked the black tie. But a suit is just fine for the two gala nights, and a jacket and tie would still work. Don’t get hung up on it. No one really cares. 

internet - only get one package, you can share. And if paying day rate on board don’t get it until morning after you sail - saves a day. They may offer discounted package up front; bought the high speed version for $140 for June (7 days) 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Yes, if you can book this with a refundable deposit, you might as well.

Maybe (?) Cunard will come to their senses and change the schedule at least a bit.

Or if not, you could find some other place/way to see it?

Are there any ships that day/time off the coast of ... Spain?  Or ??

I'd think being at sea, for the sense there, would also be amazing.  NOTHING in the way to interfere with the view.

Where we were, in a park, there were a few trees, with bare branches from winter, and during the changes before totality, it was a bit annoying, but still didn't interefer with what we were watching.

But at totality, that amazing GLOWING CORONA was *so* bright, that we weren't aware of anything at all in the way if viewing.  We didn't realize it at the time, but shortly after, we both agreed that at totality, it was as if all of the thin branches just vanished.  We didn't even think about them untl after totality.

Enjoy, no matter where!

GC

Originally the Discovery Princess was docked but the schedule was changed to be at sea.

It might be wise to follow Cunard on social media and point out they need to change the itineraries.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:08 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

I booked this sailing for the interesting itinerary and return to NY on March 6th.

I suspected it might be a strong seller on those merits alone.

Now that it is being marketed as an eclipse sailing I understand the unusually high per diems.

Looks like a very interesting voyage.

The itinerary of that sailing looks great.  I hope they continue to sail that in the future.

Well, I booked it. I have nearly two years to change my mind. If another cruise line has a better itinerary, I will be very tempted to switch.

The itinerary I was sent has: "8/12/2026    La Coruna (Tours To Santiago De Compostela), Spain    09:00 AM    09:00 PM"

A tour to Santiago De Compostela on that day seems like a very bad idea, and not only because it leaves the area of the total eclipse (barely), but the traffic!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Orsino said:

Well, I booked it. I have nearly two years to change my mind. If another cruise line has a better itinerary, I will be very tempted to switch.

The itinerary I was sent has: "8/12/2026    La Coruna (Tours To Santiago De Compostela), Spain    09:00 AM    09:00 PM"

A tour to Santiago De Compostela on that day seems like a very bad idea, and not only because it leaves the area of the total eclipse (barely), but the traffic!!

Princess is announcing an eclipse cruise on 5/23 on the Sky Princess.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:14 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

Me too ocean sounds! But I read that we don't leave port until the evening, which should allow us to photograph the eclipse on land before we leave? Oops if that isn't so! 

The eclipse will be around sunset (near Spain) and close to the horizon. I would be concerned the view could be blocked by the harbor or by land as the ship sets sail. 

I sincerely hope that from the top Terrace of the ship nothing will block our view of the eclipse in Spain?

Re the tour to Santiago de Compostela, I would like to do that. I believe all tours must get back on board at least an hour before departure, so that would still give us time to set up our tripods?

I have spare eclipse glasses if you arrange to meet me on board; we have just come back from Texas where they gave us loads - we saw 98% and then cloud, but with nice wines at a winery as we were in Fredericksburg, so still a fun day! 

On 4/22/2024 at 11:37 AM, worldtraveller99 said:

Re the tour to Santiago de Compostela, I would like to do that. I believe all tours must get back on board at least an hour before departure, so that would still give us time to set up our tripods?

I’m sure the schedule *looks* fine and would aim to return in time. However, eclipse traffic is epic. A tour retuning at 4pm would probably be okay, especially since it isn’t going too far away. But a tour scheduled to return at 7pm would likely be delayed by traffic. 

Tentative cruiser here.  My husband and I started to sail on Silversea just before everything came to a halt in 2020. We did 2 cruises and had a third booked on Regent’s new ship Grandeur for this past February but cancelled because I retired and we moved to another state.  As a wise friend once said, you need to let the money tree grow back after pruning it too much.

Well we decided it’s time.  The 14 day Queen Mary 2 TA with a stop in Iceland seems very interesting, and Iceland has been a bucket list destination for me.  We booked it.

Now we’re thinking about going over from New York on the QM2 instead of flying. Our travel agent has a hold on the same cabin.  Is it worth it? Is the Queen Mary 2 exciting enough to stay onboard (except for shore excursions) for 3 weeks?

7 hours ago, napria said:

Tentative cruiser here.  My husband and I started to sail on Silversea just before everything came to a halt in 2020. We did 2 cruises and had a third booked on Regent’s new ship Grandeur for this past February but cancelled because I retired and we moved to another state.  As a wise friend once said, you need to let the money tree grow back after pruning it too much.

Well we decided it’s time.  The 14 day Queen Mary 2 TA with a stop in Iceland seems very interesting, and Iceland has been a bucket list destination for me.  We booked it.

Now we’re thinking about going over from New York on the QM2 instead of flying. Our travel agent has a hold on the same cabin.  Is it worth it? Is the Queen Mary 2 exciting enough to stay onboard (except for shore excursions) for 3 weeks?

The only downside of West to East is 5 x 23 hour days. Less time to enjoy yourself/relax/eat food. The upside is that you won't get jet lag and you don't have to get from LHR to Southampton (but it's not that far - book a taxi)

The other downside of course is that you can't do a few days in the UK if you wanted to - so much to see but I'm biased; going the other way i can't see the attraction of going all the way to NYC to then leave the same day!

14 hours ago, napria said:

Coming from your experiences on luxury small ships, are you ready for a true ocean liner experience and what cabin class are you sailing on? Queens Grills will most replicate the service you may be used to. There is no butler in Princess Grills but there is great value in PG. Plus you get the US Grills Drinks package (covers all drinks $12 and under) and gratuities thrown in. There are other wonderful venues outside of the Grills experience too: pub lunches at the Golden Lion, light plates served in the Carinthia Lounge, and drinks at the Commodore Club. 
You will find plenty to do on TA’s but you need to be in the TA mindset. It’s a relaxing experience and my only downside, after seven nights onboard, would be a feeling of repetitiveness. But that’s ok with me, it’s all in the mindset…

As someone else stated in another thread, I’d use QM2 as my ferry of choice. The no jet lag part is important. 

• Like 1

The butler service on Silversea was underwhelming.  I’m sure others appreciate it, but as nice as it was we didn’t feel we’d miss not having one.  The cabins are all lovely, and although PG would be comparable, we decided to play it safe a book a sheltered balcony on deck 5.  I have been seasick on both of my previous voyages and I’m hoping with the lower cabin and the larger Ocean Liner (as opposed to a cruise ship) I’ll be ok. On that note, I’m hoping the spa on board the QM2 has acupuncture.  It was the only thing that cured my seasickness on our cruise to Bermuda.

1 hour ago, napria said:

The butler service on Silversea was underwhelming.  I’m sure others appreciate it, but as nice as it was we didn’t feel we’d miss not having one.  The cabins are all lovely, and although PG would be comparable, we decided to play it safe a book a sheltered balcony on deck 5.  I have been seasick on both of my previous voyages and I’m hoping with the lower cabin and the larger Ocean Liner (as opposed to a cruise ship) I’ll be ok. On that note, I’m hoping the spa on board the QM2 has acupuncture.  It was the only thing that cured my seasickness on our cruise to Bermuda.

Acupuncture and reflexology are offered. I enjoyed reflexology. 

• Thanks 1