Looking for tips and tricks and info on Puerto Plata

AandBmom

We just found out that our Mariner of the Seas cruise will be moving from Haiti to Puerto Plata. I have never been there and don't have much  experience with this port. I've been doing some reading on here and I can't quite figure out if we would be Amber Cove or something different. Can someone please break down for me how this works or where Royal Caribbean would typically be docking?

Posted (edited)

We were just in Puerto Plata (Celebrity) and there only seemed to be one dock. They have a large outdoor mall (obviously built for cruise docking) and a pool you could use.

However we just decided to walk through it (actually no other choice) and wanted to walk into town. We were aggressively approached by local walking guides that wanted to walk you into town saying you would be safe. We opted to easily do it ourselves. Sorry to say that there was nothing to do or see other than a church and a street called Umbrella St. This was absolutely one of the worst ports we have visited. What a waste of time.

Edited by Ashland

On 3/19/2024 at 12:07 PM, AandBmom said:

We just found out that our Mariner of the Seas cruise will be moving from Haiti to Puerto Plata. I have never been there and don't have much  experience with this port. I've been doing some reading on here and I can't quite figure out if we would be Amber Cove or something different. Can someone please break down for me how this works or where Royal Caribbean would typically be docking?

I would be wary of any excursions on this cruise. Check your departure time. I believe it says 3pm. Which means u should be back on the ship at 2.30pm latest. And I heard the traffic can be bad in and out of Puerto Plata due to the 2 lane road. Might be cutting it close on the shore excursions. 

On 3/19/2024 at 3:07 PM, AandBmom said:

What date are you docking in PP ?Amber Cove has a ship schedule on it's website.

There are 2 docks, Taino Bay and Amber Cove. 2 competely different experience.

33 minutes ago, sebas030 said:

What date are you docking in PP ?Amber Cove has a ship schedule on it's website.

There are 2 docks, Taino Bay and Amber Cove. 2 competely different experience.

I have checked both of those Port schedules in our ship is not listed but we just changed itinerary this week so I'm not surprised. But it does look like Royal always docs at Taino

4 hours ago, AandBmom said:

I have checked both of those Port schedules in our ship is not listed but we just changed itinerary this week so I'm not surprised. But it does look like Royal always docs at Taino

If docked in Taino Bay; it is a new port area. lazy river ( free ) takes about 20/25 minutes to do the loop. A large pool (free) with 2 different water deep. An other pool (free) that is shallow with lounger righ in the water. A lot of lounger all round. A new wave maker machine to surf on ($35 for 20 minutes ). Monkeyisland, 30 minutes experience with the spider monkees for 25$ ( I would do it again in a heartbeat ( it was AWESOME ). Also cabanas for massages ($).

Many shops of all kind, restaurants and bar. The port area is quite large. It takes about 10/15 minutes to walk from one end to the other.

If you exit the port area, a 7-10 minute walk will bring you to Umbrella street and an other 3 will get you to Pink Alley ( look up pictures on the web for both ).

Obviously many excursions are available with or without the cruise line. The one that is less recommended is the gondola to get on top of the moutain. There is only 1 gondola in each direction and wait time can be from 10 minutes to 2 hours to get in one... so returning to the cruise ship can be a bit stressfull....

I can't help you if dock in Amber Cover, sorry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 12:21 PM, sebas030 said:

If docked in Taino Bay; it is a new port area. lazy river ( free ) takes about 20/25 minutes to do the loop. A large pool (free) with 2 different water deep. An other pool (free) that is shallow with lounger righ in the water. A lot of lounger all round. A new wave maker machine to surf on ($35 for 20 minutes ). Monkeyisland, 30 minutes experience with the spider monkees for 25$ ( I would do it again in a heartbeat ( it was AWESOME ). 

How deep is the lazy river? I have a young child that doesn’t know how to swim. Are there any very shallow pools or splash pads to play in?

10 minutes ago, Cruiser418Low said:

How deep is the lazy river? I have a young child that doesn’t know how to swim. Are there any very shallow pools or splash pads to play in?

The lazy river is about 48" deep.

Yes 1 pool is shallow with hamac barely touching the water.

The main pool had a ledge (about 3' wide ) of shallow (about 12") water, the rest of the pool is about 60" deep 

You can have a great time in all the water area in the port

38 minutes ago, sebas030 said:

The lazy river is about 48" deep.

Yes 1 pool is shallow with hamac barely touching the water.

The main pool had a ledge (about 3' wide ) of shallow (about 12") water, the rest of the pool is about 60" deep 

You can have a great time in all the water area in the port

Thanks! Do you know if there’s a pool donut that can fit both me and my child? Afraid he might be too small to fit into a donut. 

On 3/31/2024 at 12:05 AM, Cruiser418Low said:

Thanks! Do you know if there’s a pool donut that can fit both me and my child? Afraid he might be too small to fit into a donut. 

They do not have any double donuts (8 style) The donut is large and would fit an adult and an infant, but probably not a kid 5 yr + and an adult.

We booked a taxi to take us to the waterfalls, zipline then lunch in the city. Docking in Amber Cove. This is doable on your own with a rented car, but it's our first time there so we want a local guide. 

• 2 weeks later...