Can AARP Gift card be applied prior to sailing?

momrox1

I would like to buy some aarp gift cards to be used to purchase the princess plus package.  Can this only be done onboard or can I purchase the gc and apply it to my booking to pay for plus package prior to sailing?  If at all, as I'm getting conflicting stories about whether or not I can use the gc for this purchase.  I'm on w Princess now...at first she said you cannot use it for drink package but she was mistaking it for an obc.  

Has anyone used a gc to purchase the plus drink package and if so, was it done prior or only onboard?

Thanks

Yes, you can make a fare change to the plus or premier fare using gift cards.  (You can not purchase the drink package)

I booked the standard fare which needed to be paid right away while deciding whether I wanted plus or premier for our next sailing and purchased the gift cards to use for upgrading that fare to premier.  Our CVP had no issues using these to change the fare. 

I have done both ways.  If you use the gift cards prior to boarding, you will have to call to make it happen because there is no option to use a gift card to purchase.  If you wait until you are on board and have not already added the gift cards to your account, take photos of your gift cards because they will take the paper copy and it will take an hour or so to apply to your account.  Also of note, if you have purchased the insurance, if you add the fare package prior to sailing, it increases the cost of the insurance but if you wait until you are on board, it does not. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yes, you can make a fare change to the plus or premier fare using gift cards.  (You can not purchase the drink package)

I booked the standard fare which needed to be paid right away while deciding whether I wanted plus or premier for our next sailing and purchased the gift cards to use for upgrading that fare to premier.  Our CVP had no issues using these to change the fare. 

I neglected to mention I am past final payment.  So, it becomes a fare change and my TA will use the gift cards to pay the difference before the cruise sails? Thanks....I'm new to gift cards..didn't even know about them until now.  

2 hours ago, momrox1 said:

I neglected to mention I am past final payment.  So, it becomes a fare change and my TA will use the gift cards to pay the difference before the cruise sails? Thanks....I'm new to gift cards..didn't even know about them until now.  

Mine was past final payment. When I booked, the total was due. 

Thanks for the help all....one (hopefully) final question.  I joined AARP yesterday and the percentage off for Princess is 8%....Is this always the case or does it fluctuate to 10% then back to 8%  Thanks!

2 hours ago, momrox1 said:

Thanks for the help all....one (hopefully) final question.  I joined AARP yesterday and the percentage off for Princess is 8%....Is this always the case or does it fluctuate to 10% then back to 8%  Thanks!

It dropped to 8% some time ago. I’ve never seen it go back to 10 

• Thanks 1