First Time Boarding in Barcelona Questions

1.  I booked a transfer from the airport to the cruise port.  It starts at 10 am (or earlier depending on who you talk to at NCL lol). Does NCL let these people check in when they arrive or do they put them in "holding pens" based on their assigned check in times?

2.  I have platinum status.  Would my sister be able to board with me?  We are in different cabins.

3.  My sister said there is such a thing as Priority Access from NCL for about $200 which lets you board faster after coming back from excursions.  I have never heard of such a thing and I have not had any issues on my 8 NCL cruises, as people come back at all different times.  The only slight delay is when my tour bus was off loaded, but not a big deal.  

Thank you in advance for your help.

1. We used the NCL transfer and we were in the Haven, so we basically walked right on.  However, they longest line to get through security but the line wasn't that long.  After boarding, we went back down (there are shops on your way to the ship) to purchase a couple of things and the lines were moving fast.

2.  It can depend on how closely they are checking.  My MIL has platinum status and we just boarded with her and no one said a word.  I think it really depends on how big your group is and just keeping your head down. All the while being prepared for the possibility that they may make your sister wait.

3. There is priority access and it is for embarkation, disembarkation at various ports and tender access.  It has nothing to do with getting back on board when you return from port.  At least that's how I understand it.

@Grumpella  FWIW, we embarked on NCL's Prima on a TA last November, everything at the cruise terminal was smooth, efficient and quick.  We spend several days sightseeing in Barcelona pre-cruise, can't really help you much with NCL's airport transfer. 

We taxi'ed from our hotel over to the terminal where the Prima was docked / assigned that day - one ship per terminal - driver pull up in the parking & dropff area, maybe 50 feet from the entrance into the terminal building.  Porters are nearby to help take your checked luggage - use them & cash tips, cheerfully accepted and thanked, save you from joining the longer line to get inside to start the check-in.  Have your passports & eDocs ready, continue walking and let one of the NCL "greeters" know that you only have hand or carry-on luggage - bypass the others with rollerboards & spinners in line, roped off that are moving slower. 

I don't recall them closely checking everyone's Latitudes status on the eDocs ... let the folks at the entrance you are traveling together and checking in - they shouldn't give you a hard time.  

Once inside, you will be directed to different "counters" to check-in, after clearing security first - lines moved quick.  No need to spend extra for "Priority Access" - not in Barcelona.  We also disembarked here last May, very smooth & efficient, well run - thru passport control quickly downstairs & turn the corner into luggage area, airport like set-up.  There must be 30 to 40, maybe 50 NCL "agents" or "reps" working the check-in and also others moving around, making sure nobody arriving is confused, lost and/or sent away that need help boarding, etc.  

Once you finished the pier check-in and get your keycards (especially your flight lands at 10 AM with a 25+ minutes bus ride to the cruise piers, embarkation should be well underway - just proceed thru the duty-free shopping area, ahead for the "Up" escalators (or elevators) & follow the path to the gangway for boarding the ship. Very easy, simple, obvious & straight forward - well organized.  

We arrived around 10:30 AM and were done with it all, onboard the ship by 11:30 - the MDR wasn't even open yet - went to O'Sheehan's / The Local for a sit-down casual lunch ... do try to avoid the crowded buffet.  

On # 3 - I concur with poster's reply above - returning from excursion at various ports, there is really no difference, tours drop folks off at varied times, some stay in the shopping area while others take photos, make calls & use internet over cellular or port's WiFi signal  ... unless, unless they are tender ports - maybe, but - just, maybe, it's worth paying that money.  Otherwise, save it. 

If you click under the Semi-Live Prima TA trip report from last November below - there are a # of good pictures on boarding the Barcelona port, should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect and how things flow.  Enjoy your cruise vacation.