Snorkeling ship tours Moorea and Papeete

Hi, leaving on the 14th April on celebrity Edge repositioning cruise to Honolulu. We managed to book two snorkeling tours through the ship at Moorea and Papeete. Unfortunately sold out in Raiatea so will probably try and book a local tour. My question is to those with experience is normally are snorkels, fins and masks provided by the operators the ship use. I have read what to bring and those items are not listed. Don’t really want to cart our gear from Australia as we are doing a road trip in the USA after this cruise. Thanks for any advice.

Posted (edited)

Although we’ve not been to French Polynesia, everywhere we’ve visited, snorkeling gear has always been provided by the shore excursion outfitter. Same thing when we book independently. 

2404.thumb.jpeg.b94e4c519c357e7d14db6c189d390905.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Raiatea is easy to book a tour once you are off the tender. There is a large welcome center with an excursion desk. I paid at the excursion desk and went in a water taxi to one of the Motu's. There is a grocery store near by and you can grab a lunch to take with you. There are picnic tables on the Motu.  Have fun!!

While the gear is almost always provided, I've always brought along my own snorkel and mask to use.  I've seen some operators just swish snorkels thru some salt water to "sanitize" them.  Really?

I'd rather be safe breathing thru my own equipment and it's really not that much to pack, just the mask, mouthpiece and tube.

Enjoy!  Maybe bring an underwater camera?  We have great shots of shark feeding in Bora Bora.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:29 AM, first time cruising said:

Hi, leaving on the 14th April on celebrity Edge repositioning cruise to Honolulu. We managed to book two snorkeling tours through the ship at Moorea and Papeete. Unfortunately sold out in Raiatea so will probably try and book a local tour. My question is to those with experience is normally are snorkels, fins and masks provided by the operators the ship use. I have read what to bring and those items are not listed. Don’t really want to cart our gear from Australia as we are doing a road trip in the USA after this cruise. Thanks for any advice.

I just got back from French Polynesia with HAL. We didn’t book any snorkelling tours through the ship. In Raiatea we used Are tours who were excellent. Had a great day at the coral garden then on to a private Motu for a very tasty lunch in the water surrounded by fish and sharks. Snorkelling gear was provided. In Morea we used Captain Tania who also provided snorkelling gear. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:29 AM, first time cruising said:

we are not snorkellers (or indeed swimmers) but it seems a shame to go all that way and not to explore inland on at least one of the islands and our choice would be Moorea. 

The scenery, especially the flowers, is amazing.

We went with a private guide who advertised "air conditioned" tours - turned out to be an open backed truck - amazing experience.

Moorea(22).thumb.JPG.e5c13b0b9a5be0316eec06c72a9dd804.JPG

Moorea(32).thumb.JPG.1de8f7c96a64ea443690779f9e814922.JPGMoorea(22).thumb.JPG.e5c13b0b9a5be0316eec06c72a9dd804.JPG

Just now, the penguins said:

we are not snorkellers (or indeed swimmers) but it seems a shame to go all that way and not to explore inland on at least one of the islands and our choice would be Moorea. 

The scenery, especially the flowers, is amazing.

We went with a private guide who advertised "air conditioned" tours - turned out to be an open backed truck - amazing experience.

Moorea(22).thumb.JPG.e5c13b0b9a5be0316eec06c72a9dd804.JPG

Moorea(32).thumb.JPG.1de8f7c96a64ea443690779f9e814922.JPGMoorea(22).thumb.JPG.e5c13b0b9a5be0316eec06c72a9dd804.JPG

sorry can't get the pics I intended to send to attach and it's done the jeep twice.

Moorea(28).thumb.JPG.cdfe458cc4b74edf5e02c692e9f17fef.JPGMoorea(28).thumb.JPG.cdfe458cc4b74edf5e02c692e9f17fef.JPGMoorea(28).thumb.JPG.cdfe458cc4b74edf5e02c692e9f17fef.JPGMoorea(24).thumb.JPG.160739e855681b99b76ff6dd340d4677.JPG