Cooking classes/Photography classes still around (on Eurodam)?

I've been reading about the various cuts HAL is making and wondering if these classes are rumoured to be on the chopping block?   I am already sad to learn that classical music is being cut.  Hoping not too many more cuts before summer 2025!

Posted (edited)

I think all the cruise lines are approaching the recovery different.  Some (Princess, RCL etc are increasing costs, making formerly free things now have a price, and doing some cutting here and there).  HAL seems to be keeping their pricing somewhat controlled, but they do seem to be more aggressive in the cost cutting realm.  All the cruise lines have hefty amounts of debt and are likely preparing for expensive drydocks to upgrade their current ships as well as contemplating new ship orders.  HAL also seems to be changing their approach to entertainment and leaning more into their most well attended events.  They have started embracing more interactive games and trivia than I remember in the past and they seem to be well attended.  

Personally, I think we may have gone over the crest of a pricing wave centered on this summer.  I'm seeing somewhat more reasonable prices later this year and next, but I think there is more room to drop - fingers crossed.

Cooking classes are occasionally offered, but not as much as they used to and it seems like the partnership with America's Test Kitchen is over (fun fact, many of the lights in BB Kings are holdovers from that partnership and are inverted mixing bowls and collanders).

Classical music is now held in the World Stage area occasionally.  A much less intimate venue, but more seating.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 1

There are no real cooking classes any longer on HAL.  there can be some cooking demonstrations but sporadic IME.  I don’t recall seeing any photography class on the Daily programme for some time.  

• Like 1

If these classes are still around, would availability be based on region and/or season?

LAX

There are cooking demonstrations on some ships but not cooking classes. I believe it may have something to do with if they have a venue set up to accommodate a cooking demonstration.  On the Rotterdam in October 2023 TA, there were not any demonstrations.  I believe the ship was built after the conclusion of Americas Test Kitchen program.  On the Oosterdam in February,  wonderful cooking demonstrations in the Rolling Stone! The executive chef mentioned they weren’t part of the formal HAL program but he enjoyed doing them and since we had 5 sea days and 7 scenic cruising days there was plenty of time.  No demonstrations on the Nieuw Statendam this month, the former ATK venue has been converted into Club Orange.

Posted (edited)

Both the cooking classes (ATK/paid classes) and photography classes (Microsoft workshop sessions) disappeared before the pandemic.

There are occasionally cooking demos, and sometimes the Cruise and Travel director offers brief tech tip sessions, one of which focuses on photography.

Edited by Infi
  • Like 1