Price drop protection ?

Hey all . 

I am a frequent RCI cruiser with only 1 NCL cruise , (taken 6 years ago on Breakaway). I am wondering if NCL policy is similar to RCI with regards to price drops ? With RCI if price drops before final payment , all that is needed is a call to customer service and they will match . Is NCL the same or if it is different could you please explain.

Thx

Cheers

32 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Hey all . 

I am a frequent RCI cruiser with only 1 NCL cruise , (taken 6 years ago on Breakaway). I am wondering if NCL policy is similar to RCI with regards to price drops ? With RCI if price drops before final payment , all that is needed is a call to customer service and they will match . Is NCL the same or if it is different could you please explain.

Thx

Cheers

yes.  Before final payment, simply call and have them re-price your cruise.  

The only caveat is that you will be subject to the promotions going on at the time of your re-price.

So, for example if you had done the Buy-one-Get-one Airfare with your original booking and then the price goes down and but the Airfare promo is no longer active, then you would loose that benefit.

We have repriced cruises many times before final payment without issues.

8 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Awesome thx all

Shoot. I was patiently waiting for the obtusividous *asterisk from UK or Bird.

If the price drops after final payment you can request a FCC ( future cruise credit ). You can only do the request 1 time, if it drops further you will not get another.

I did the request just yesterday and will hopefully receive one for $1200.00 to use on my next cruise. They are good for 1 year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candygirl27540 said:

If the price drops after final payment you can request a FCC ( future cruise credit ). You can only do the request 1 time, if it drops further you will not get another.

I did the request just yesterday and will hopefully receive one for $1200.00 to use on my next cruise. They are good for 1 year.

nice

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, candygirl27540 said:

Very true...we have done this in the past.

It should be clarified that it is allowed once PER CRUISE. If the price drops on ANOTHER cruise after final payment, you can always request it for the other cruise, as well.

Edited by schmoopie17

On 3/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, candygirl27540 said:

The price of my cruise dropped 2 days after final payment date (which is 30 days before departure). I called them and asked for a FCC and they categorically denied it. 

They said that after final payment there is absolutely nothing they can offer.

Maybe here in Europe they have other rules? 

Do you suggest to call again after a while and speak with a different agent? Any other idea?

15 minutes ago, albatros1 said:

Maybe here in Europe they have other rules? 

Definitely other ruiles in Europe. Fee for cancellation from day one for example. So what people tell here really don't apply for us. But even after final pay you can ask for a room upgrade at reduced price. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 8:10 PM, IAcruising said:

Same. And all NCL deposits are refundable, so easy cancel and rebook, if necessary.

Deposits are all refundable?Assume before final payment? 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, camper49 said:

Refundable deposit in USA?

Yes, if the cancellation is at least 121 days prior to the actual cruise start date!  Once the Final Payment date passes, no full refund of deposit or FCC.

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info

On 3/23/2024 at 8:25 AM, candygirl27540 said:

When I called, I was told there is a point as the sail date approaches when they stop offering the FCC.  I believe it was at 55 days; after that, requests would be denied.  Others may have gotten the FCC within that time frame; maybe it varies by itinerary or some other factor.  It never hurts to call and ask, regardless of how close you are to the sail date, but that’s what I was told.  

3 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

When I called, I was told there is a point as the sail date approaches when they stop offering the FCC.  I believe it was at 55 days; after that, requests would be denied.  Others may have gotten the FCC within that time frame; maybe it varies by itinerary or some other factor.  It never hurts to call and ask, regardless of how close you are to the sail date, but that’s what I was told.  

Well, that's interesting. My FCC was requested at about 65 days out. I have gotten them in the past but I don't remember the number of days days prior to request. Hopefully you can still get a room upgrade instead at less than 55 days.

I'm also from Eurpoe, and this repricing is very confusing to me. I don't understand that there is such a big difference between Europe and USA. My cruise price went down, so I upgraded the room to balcony. I checked now, the price of the cruise went down by 340 EUR and when I called NCL they offered me a refund obf 75 EUR (apperently there are some charges for changes) or I could wait until the final payment that is 30 day before the cruise and check again, they would offer me OBC. I don't believe this is entirely true, what I was told. They didn't offer any FCC.

Those who use this forum from Europe, can someone comment this?

On 3/22/2024 at 8:00 PM, LobsterStalker said:

Hey all . 

Thx

Cheers

We are frequent RCI and Celebrity cruisers, who have booked our first NCL cruise directly with NCL.  We have gotten 5 price drops totaling $1,560 before final payment by simply calling customer service. Yesterday I noticed another price drop after final payment and called (66 days before cruise). This morning I received email confirmation that our request for $680 FCC was approved. My price watching has paid off big time! Good luck!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marys350 said:

This morning I received email confirmation that our request for $680 FCC was approved. My price watching has paid off big time! Good luck!

Welcome to the NCL family! They have some benefits that you wouldn't otherwise see until it actually puts money back in your pocket.

Have a great cruise.

(apologies, of course to our European cruisers)

• Like 1

When will cruise lines stop the silly “deposit” and payment system. This is so antiquated. Ppl should just be paying full price at the time of booking with option to get a full refund up to X amount of days before the cruise. The cruise “deposit” system is from a time before ppl just paid everything with credit cards and nowadays, new cruisers don’t even understand it

on the other hand, credit for price drops is also silly. What other areas of the travel industry work like that. If everyone starts monitoring cruise prices and asking for FCC after price drops, that will blow it for everyone.

that being said, I won’t deny hypocrisy in that I just tried requesting an adjustment for a $1000 price drop the day after I paid and I’ve never done it before. My agent said NCL is filing a claim with their “price drop department” and I will know whether or not it was approved after my cruise.

does anyone know how much they offer for these adjustments or is it just a flat rate per person or X percent off usually? $1000 could literally cover the cost of a whole cruise sometimes 

6 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

on the other hand, credit for price drops is also silly. What other areas of the travel industry work like that. If everyone starts monitoring cruise prices and asking for FCC after price drops, that will blow it for everyone.

Your bark isn't working up my tree.

I currently have a substantial payment to Delta on an international flight that is non-refundable, but I will get a future credit if the price drops. You can bet I will be watching air fares.

I'm staying at 3 different Marriott properties in the Netherlands on points. I will most certainly rebook if the point amounts drop.

So, to answer your question, it works in all areas of the travel industry.

• Like 1