Havensight to Soggy Dollar Bar - reality check?

JGmf

Hello all. 

I'll be in St. Thomas in late April, ship arrives 8am, departs 5pm.  I really want to go to Jost Van Dyke and drink/hang at Soggy Dollar Bar and visit the other adjacent bars/beaches. 

I've been reading older CC posts and doing plenty of Google searches; and I understand there's sort of a cab-ferry-cab-ferry-hope-and-prayer way to do it, but I'm looking for the best current advice on HOW to do it, and, if warranted, a reality check from you that its perhaps too much time and effort.

Anyway, I know you experts can help, so kindly, please educate me.

I researched this a few years back when I had an 8AM - 9PM port time in STT.

It was possible, but not at all easy, and very expensive.  I feel confident in saying that with a 5PM departure it would be just about impossible, without a private speedboat charter to take you directly to JVD from STT. 

At that time, I needed to ferry STT to St John, then ferry to JVD.  Then reverse it. You must be back to STT (or St John) by 5PM, as the customs office closes @ 5. 

Remember, you are going to a different country, so passport and associated fees are involved. 

I wish you happy research, and good luck, but frankly, I would use this as an excuse to book  another cruise, one that stops at Tortola. From Roadtown or West End, it's an easy sail to JVD and the other BVIs.  Both Kuralu and Aristocat have catamarans docked a few blocks from the Tortola cruise ship pier, and have day trips that go to JVD, Norman, Peter Island and others. 

If it is any consolation, I have been going to S$B for 10 - 15 years, last time was just last month. It has changed so much, it is almost unrecognizable. Beach and bar were packed, and it was almost impossible to get a drink. Other than as a bucket list item, way overpriced souvenir items,  and maybe a logo cup (go early, once they use the daily allotment, you get the plain ones), it is now vastly over rated. Very sad to see. It has become a victim of it's own success, IMO. 

@EatonDoolittle Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply.  I will heed your excellent advice and look to visit JVD on some future, more proximate, cruise.  Thanks a ton.

(As for STT, it's lovely, but been there, done that....I'll need to research maybe something similar to Soggy Dollar, some bar/hang-out right on the beach...)

I like Coki for authentic Caribbean beach experience. The small beach has gotten crowded with so many people looking to snorkel or soak up the sun, but I prefer sitting on a stool at a bar with Caribbean music blasting and maybe smelling smoke. I don't smoke, but appreciate that people feel free to do so.

It's not a beach for everyone, but for the partiers, that's the beach!

• Thanks 1

Several years ago I did ship excursion to soggy dollar.   That way I felt confident we would not miss our departure.  Had plenty of time to indulge in some painkillers

The ships used to have excursions to BVI from St Thomas, but when BVI built the new dock ( and maybe before), they stopped offering them. They didn't get great reviews from what I read/remember. Long ride. No or limited snacks. Disappointed with dolphin swim which was the most popular BVI attraction for cruisers.

• Like 1