SAGA Rose

011404402.thumb.jpeg.89b803a5c410295d9c103c91a4efc074.jpeg

This is a unpublished pic from our archives of the SAGA Rose making the transit of Prince Christian Sound, Greenland, (from East to West) on the 16th of August 2007. 

The Rose was SAGA's first Ocean Ship. 

The ship had been launched in1964. The maiden voyage, as the Sagafijord, was in 1965. She was bought by SAGA in 1997, renamed the SAGA Rose, and served exceptionally well until she was retired in 2010. We think that she still holds the world record for the greatest number of world cruises of any ship.

When we took this snap, we were on the Ocean Majesty travelling in the opposite direction. We could see the Rose miles and miles away in the cold, clear air. As we drew opposite there was one almighty cheer from those people lining the decks of the SAGA Rose... it was a tremendously exhilarating  experience... one never to be forgotten.

If anyone remembers the Rose and especially if anyone who was on that cruise almost 17 years ago... we hope that you enjoy this little bit of nostalgia.

• Like 1

Our first Saga cruise was on Rose in June 2003 to the Baltic Capitals. What a great cruise it was! The Baltic was flat calm & the sun shone everywhere except Finland & Russia. We were the youngest couple on board.

The only fly in the ointment was St Petersburg. We were treated very badly by security in the Hermitage & teens threw bricks at the ship as we left through the canal.

• Like 1

Not only do I remember the Saga Rose (our first cruise on her was the Baltic in 2006), I also very well and very fondly remember the Ocean Majesty.

We took our first ever cruises (2003 Norway and 2004 North Cape) on the Ocean Majesty, chartered by Page&Moy, and was the reason we developed the cruising bug in the first place.

Thank you for reminding me of two grand ships.

• Like 1

We were on one of the early Saga Rose cruises, and went on her primarily because she had been the Cunard Sagafjord.  The food was not brilliant, and I remember one of the staff saying that Cunard had promised to modernise the galley before handing her over, and had not done so.  I can't vouch for that being the case, of course.  Also, tables for two were in a row of three, and the waiters tried hard to get them all into sync., so if you got there early you were left waiting for service, and if late were rushed.  Not ideal, and just as it had been with Cunard.

However, we did come back to Saga a few  years later, and enjoyed the Pearl and then the Sapphire.  Saga ships now are a completely different animal, and superior in many ways of course.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A truly beautiful ship. Compare to modern cruise ship design. The new Saga ships may have lovely balconies and smart interiors etc, but they certainly don’t have the sweet lines of the Ruby or the Rose!